Havoline Pro DS Problems/Benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone other than tiger682 had problems with Havoline Pro DS such as lower fuel efficiency or consumption? Anyone had a positive experience? I want to try the FS 5w30 when my stash is gone.

I switched to Pro DS at the middle of March. So far no problems. No change in MPG up or down. Have just over 6400 miles on it now and I'm looking to do my OCI at the end of this month. Don't think I'm going to get the 7500 miles I was hoping for.

Last edited:
Just drained out some 5W-30 out of mt TL. Nothing abnormal to report. It ran just fine over the summer including a few long road trips. Nothing noticed as far as mileage or noise. In went the HM 5W20, just cause.

It seems to be only 5w20 version. Reason I say that is if you look at there PDS page the 5w20 seems to be there stepchild as 0w20 gets extra additives to address fuel economy and dexos. The 5w30 also gets dexos certified which in itself addresses fuel economy. From what I experienced it is in the additive package or lack of that I won't run 5w20 any more. I am still running 5w30 Havoline ProDs in lawn equipment as well as top off for Impala as it seems to slow down oil usage on this vehicle. It just didn't work for me but I didn't try 0w20 yet but don't see it being a problem.

tiger862 you need to update us when you change your oil and check the mileage. Blows my mind if this is true.

Got some Havoline Pro DS from an oriellys clearance last year. Had a UOA done at only 4380 miles of use due to others on this forums commenting on low TBN numbers. Mine was 1.8 after 4380 miles. Do not recommend for extended drain intervals.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
tiger862 you need to update us when you change your oil and check the mileage. Blows my mind if this is true.

I changed it. The mileage on the lie meter is still climbing. 150 miles and just over 1/4 tank of gas used. Will know better when I fill up. Have a long trip next weekend so I will have more numbers. I can say first year lowest was 18 with a high of 24 average with on hwy it showed 28 and with Havoline low of 13 and high of 25.7 with meter showing 25 straight hwy. Right now it is showing 21.8 mpg up 3 mpg over last 150 miles with no hwy speeds.

Last edited:
Absolutely no problems with it in my 300. Though I did switch to Castrol Edge 0w40, which also didn't decrease my fuel economy any measurable amount.

My 2018 F150 with the 5.0 Coyote seems to run quiet on it (and Valvoline), M1 is louder. Nothing abnormal to report in 4500 miles on it.

I used Pro DS on a late summer change on my 2014 Scion xb. 5W20 used. All changes were done previously with Castrol Edge or Magnatec 5W20, with about 48k mi. currently. It recently saw about 1100 miles on a vacation trip a couple of weeks ago. Mostly Interstates with a good bit of mountain driving. With about 2500 mi. on this change, fuel mileage has been better by about 5 % in local driving and 10% on 70-75 mpg Interstate ( from long term norms) I've noticed more noise from the valvetrain with the Pro DS, but this is a non hydraulic valve lash engine. Not scientific, but mpg has gone from 23-24 local and 27-28 highway to 25 and 31 mpg. No tire or other changes.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I switched to Pro DS at the middle of March. So far no problems. No change in MPG up or down. Have just over 6400 miles on it now and I'm looking to do my OCI at the end of this month. Don't think I'm going to get the 7500 miles I was hoping for.

Why won't you NOT get what you were hoping for? It's just another 1,100 miles.

Originally Posted by tiger862
It seems to be only 5w20 version. Reason I say that is if you look at there PDS page the 5w20 seems to be there stepchild as 0w20 gets extra additives to address fuel economy and dexos. The 5w30 also gets dexos certified which in itself addresses fuel economy. From what I experienced it is in the additive package or lack of that I won't run 5w20 any more. I am still running 5w30 Havoline ProDs in lawn equipment as well as top off for Impala as it seems to slow down oil usage on this vehicle. It just didn't work for me but I didn't try 0w20 yet but don't see it being a problem.

*No reason not to run a 5W20 D1 / Gen 2 rated oil to take advantage of fuel economy , less consumption , timing chain protection , etc. that goes with the GM DEXOS rated oils .

Originally Posted by Mainia

Why won't you NOT get what you were hoping for? It's just another 1,100 miles.

Oil changes here are October and May as a general rule. I don't have a garage and I don't like changing it in the rain. No way I'm getting 1100 miles in two weeks.

Oil changes here are October and May as a general rule. I don't have a garage and I don't like changing it in the rain. No way I'm getting 1100 miles in two weeks.

Lol..I get another one in mid summer, July'ish.. that's when I rack up the majority of my miles. But I hear ya on the October-May thing...no fun working on the car late December, January, February in 33° rain or snow. I have a garage but it's full of $_&#!...‚

I have run various Chevron/Havoline products with good results. If I had a significant fuel mileage dip, a Chevron oil product would be the LAST item I would consider as a possible issue.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Lol..I get another one in mid summer, July'ish.. that's when I rack up the majority of my miles. But I hear ya on the October-May thing...no fun working on the car late December, January, February in 33° rain or snow. I have a garage but it's full of $_&#!...‚

That only means you need to justify in your wife's mind you need a bigger garage and a shop. There is always a justification process use it LOL

Originally Posted by T-Stick
I have run various Chevron/Havoline products with good results. If I had a significant fuel mileage dip, a Chevron oil product would be the LAST item I would consider as a possible issue.

The funny thing is there's only a handful of Grp2 and 3 base oil mfgs stateside.. and Chevron's one of the biggies. So there's a good chance that you're (not you per se) non - BP, XOM, SOPUS, ConocoPhillips lube has a Chevron base oil in it. Even Conoco/Chevron have a joint operation in TX & OK mfg stuff like grp4 and 5's. Trade secret stuff aside, there's nothing that Chevron doesn't know about oil that others do....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back