Have you ever played an instrument well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I play drums.

Here’s a cover I did of an AC/DC song:

https://youtu.be/DoLBIQnzeQQ

My son in law plays drums and has been in some heavy metal bands. All I could think during your video is: why isn't he wearing that hat!.... Lol

Last edited:
I have played electric guitar since I was 14 years old (that was 1984) and I'm not too bad although I'd be considerably better if I played on a more regular basis.

Texas Music Educators Association
4 year high school all state band member
1 year symphonic trumpet 6th chair in state
3 years jazz trumpet, best i got was 2nd in state

Its been a few years since I played
but I still got the trumpet under my bed lol
I played with chris vadala.
The (old?) saxophonist for chuck mangione

Last edited:
When I was in jr. high and high school I used to play trumpet. I would play Herb Alpert and the TJB albums and play along. Anyone who heard me play said I sounded just like him, but they may have just been being nice. I was pretty good though. I have tried to play the trumpet a few times since then. I remember all the notes, but the lip is gone...

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
Texas Music Educators Association
4 year high school all state band member
1 year symphonic trumpet 6th chair in state
3 years jazz trumpet, best i got was 2nd in state

Its been a few years since I played
but I still got the trumpet under my bed lol
I played with chris vadala.
The (old?) saxophonist for chuck mangione

What kind of trumpet do you have? My parents bought me a Bach Stradivarius my senior year...I still have it...it's a silver one...

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think that people who can make a lifetime hobby of playing an instrument and are always "trying to get better" are very rewarded for doing so. I'm similar to Schmoe in that I played drums in club bands in my 20s and 30s, did the church thing, and have played in public sporadically over the last decade and a half.

The thing is I can lose myself in practicing, doodling around, or performing...which is a great thing for your psyche. There are ways to "make it" on a personal level that are just as rewarding as a regular gig. I recently re-upped with friend I hadn't seen in several years and he wants to play again...so the cycle starts over again with the music and the friendship.

Spot on.

I picked up the guitar a few years ago. Nothing I've ever done has required so much patience and practice. It didn't come naturally for me, so I had to work at it. While it may be "easier" now, it's still not "easy", but every step is rewarding.

I studied and played violin for 5 years and was OK. Sorry I ever gave it up because I heard another classmate who continued with her studies and it brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I studied and played violin for 5 years and was OK. Sorry I ever gave it up because I heard another classmate who continued with her studies and it brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful. Ed

It's like riding a bike. I just picked up a cornet a few months ago after taking a 16 year break. I am so glad that started playing again. The only thing lacking is the endurance of my embouchure. That will take time to build up.

I’m excellent with the micrometer and multimeter.
cheers3.gif

I played Tuba for 6 years in middle and high school.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Those are some big sticks there buddy. I was a 7a nylon tip guy. No John Bonham here.

https://reverb.com/item/2873479-ahead-ph...D_BwE&pla=1

Worth every penny!

Whoa....those are some big sticks. There would be no way I could play Billy Idol's Dancing with myself, studio version, with those things or Inxs Don't change. 80's stuff was pretty fast paced for the stuff I played except for Quiet Riot....those guys were soooooo much fun. Had a great time flying from Hawaii to Guam with them, talk about having a party at 30K+ feet, but that's another story. Kevin was a really, really cool guy. Was sad when I heard he passed away.

In high school, I was among the last students whose name was drawn to choose an instrument. Being among the last, there wasn't much to choose from. I ended up with a bass clarinet. Looks a bit like a saxophone, but doesn't sound like one. I was the only one in the class to have this.

I hated it so much that I stayed away from music instruments for years afterwards. Later I tried learning guitar in a private course, only to confirm I have absolutely no musical talent. After a few months, I could barely do the basics.
laugh.gif

My wife plays piano though. I love hearing her practice.

Originally Posted By: grampi
When I was in jr. high and high school I used to play trumpet. I would play Herb Alpert and the TJB albums and play along. Anyone who heard me play said I sounded just like him, but they may have just been being nice. I was pretty good though. I have tried to play the trumpet a few times since then. I remember all the notes, but the lip is gone...

Grampi. You sound a lot like me. (ain't that a switch)

I was first chair(cornet) my last two years in HS and then first chair 2 years in college. That was 50+ years ago.

Last Dec I found out my grandaughter started to play. I iimmediately got my old horn out and started out. I was friggin terrible. But I went on Trumpetmaster.com forum and learned the new techniques I was not using. Mainly using way less pressure and playing softer. I also bought a Warburton PETE (look it up) or alternately look up pencil trick on Youtube.

Along the way I bought a 1982 Bach Strad 37, 1972 Getzen Eterna Trumpet and 2 Getzen Capri Cornets. You will not believe how a big a difference they make over a student horn. I have purchased 6 more cornets to repair and give to needy kids. This has truly made a difference in my life.

Please consider trying it. I can assure you I play better than I ever could except the lip is not there yet. But its coming.

Also consider buying
9780825801587_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

I had gone thru Arbans and was working on Saint Jacome's in my younger days. But this book is the bomb https://prodimage.images-bn.com/pimages/9780825801587_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg. Its only 50 pages but you will never master it.

Please consider it and let me know if you decide to. I have been at it almost a year.

Last edited:

What kind of trumpet do you have? My parents bought me a Bach Stradivarius my senior year...I still have it...it's a silver one...

Well I mised that. You have the best. You may want to try a Cornet. They are easier to play. I actually bought a used 1968 Getzen on ebay for $178

Bass player here. Played tenor banjo as a kid, always wanted to play bass guitar. I’ve played bass in church bands for more than 30 years as well as some “bar bands.” I sing some lead and backup also.

My gf's dad taught himself how to play the guitar in 1967 (I think that's the year he said) with one of those Mel Bay books. He can play that thing like it's nothing!! Blows my mind!!

Never played beyond a recorder. Just never clicked with me. Wasn't until a prof in college explained what an octave was that I could remember--I had to tie it to electrical stuff.

As I watch my kids learn piano and other instruments, I get a bit jealous. Sometimes I wish I could take more time "from life" (work and commuting) and do more of these "fun" things. Maybe in another life.

Originally Posted By: Al

Well I mised that. You have the best. You may want to try a Cornet. They are easier to play. I actually bought a used 1968 Getzen on ebay for $178

I have a King cornet. Both my cornet and trumpet have been sitting for so long that they need to go into a music shop to get reconditioned, or what ever they do to them to get the valves working smoothly again. I've oiled the valves, but they're still sticky.

To be totally honest, I really don't have the desire or patience to do what it would take for me to even get back to the level I was at back then (not to toot my own horn, pun intended, but I was pretty darn good back in the day. I sat 1st chair all through jr. high and high school). The few times I did break out the ol' trumpet, the sound that came out was pretty discouraging. The tone is definitely gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back