Have you ever been a regular smoker/chewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both parents and all 3 siblings smoked. I didn't.

It's simpler to count my relatives who didn't smoke (few).

EVERY teacher I ever had that smoked extolled the evils of it. Warning kids must've been in their contract.

Completely nuts thing to do. So beyond unoriginal.

My father and both his brothers grew up seeing their father use an air compressor to blow air into his lungs. This saved his strength for other activities like blinking or chewing. Whatta buncha maroons!

I have anxiety apparently (discovered by unlikely ways, anyway), and it feels like a nicotine craving. Made my quitting days problematic, especially your first couple days after quitting feel exactly like your first couple years, day after day after...

Never smoked. Parents did.

Chewed tobacco once around age 5. It was during the summer. Neighbor had shirt off and had a hairy chest. He told me it would grow hair on my chest. I did not know you chewed it and spit it out. I swallowed it. Every 5 steps I bent over all the way to the house. He got a big belly laugh and his wife chewed him out. At the time I was sicker than a dog, but it did prevent me from getting a bad habit.
grin.gif

I had my first cig at about 15. Smoked off and on for 20 years. mBut in that time I averaged way under a carton/year. Never got hooked and some years I maybe had a pack.

Haven't had one for 38 years not any cigar either.

Smoked cigarettes for 36 year's, quit a few short times but would always start back up...5 yrs without a smoke now
smile.gif
, and I'm not going back...
smile.gif

Yes, I smoked cigarettes from age 18 to age 37, quit 18 years ago this coming Ash Wednesday. Tried cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, and smokeless pinch in the lip stuff as well, but none of those ever appealed to me.

I wever was really able to imbibe in alcohol as a migraneur, so this was my vice, along with caffiene and sugar (used to never gain weight until after getting engaged 22 years ago). I worked night shifts and plain 24 hour call where I went to work when the telephone rang and was done when I was one on salary + sliding scale overtime (colloqially referred to as Chinese Overtime) on a 12 days on, 4 days off call schedule. I worked my way through college doing this.

My father smoked filterless cigarettes for 40 years, my mother quit smoking when first trying to get pregnant after marrying my father. Depression era & WWII service era people. All my aunts & uncles smoked, one aunt would smoke while eating - a few bites of food, a few drags on her cigarette, a sip of her beverage, repeat. My siblings also smoked cigarettes, my brother quit years before I did, my sister still smokes. She took breaks when pregnant but started back up after each of 3 childbirths.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Never smoked. Parents did.

Chewed tobacco once around age 5. It was during the summer. Neighbor had shirt off and had a hairy chest. He told me it would grow hair on my chest. I did not know you chewed it and spit it out. I swallowed it. Every 5 steps I bent over all the way to the house. He got a big belly laugh and his wife chewed him out. At the time I was sicker than a dog, but it did prevent me from getting a bad habit.
grin.gif

That's hilarious...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Currently trying to quit as is my wife. (You don't want to be around here!
laugh.gif
)
I purchased a Vape before New Years and am currently on day 2 with no cigs!

It's amazing, despite the vape, the urges I still get to have smoke in my hand!
eek.gif
It is part physiological part addiction but I am going to beat it this time!
cheers3.gif

Stick to it irv, you have the right attitude that you WILL beat it this time!

My father quit before I became a smoker. I asked him how he was able to accomplish this after 40 years, and he wasn't an on-again, off-again quitter. He was once & done when he quit.

His words of wisdom were "I just have to keep from picking up a cigarette again. I know if I do, I'll be right back where I was, so I just have to excersise the willpower to not pick that next one up."

That philosophy and his example were immensely helpful when I quit. I like him was able to quit once & done. There was no vape available then and I didn't use nicotine gum or patches switching one delivery system for another. Once I had ramped down to Merit Ultra Lights I told myself if I didn't have the willpower to quit those, then I'd given up my free will completely which was conceptually unacceptable to me.

The most difficult cravings for me when quitting were right after a meal. I had to give up drinking coffee for 2 years, switched to hot tea, as the cigarette & coffee habit link were quite strong for me. Once the smell of secondhand smoke eventually became unappealing to me, I was able to go back to drinking coffee.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I smoke 2 - 2 1/2 packs a day. Drink 10 - 12 beers every night. Healthy as a horse.

Just sayin horses only live a little over twenty years.

I don't smoke, maybe a occasional cigar. My son smokes, my daughter doesn't.
My wife only when she is drinking.
My dad smoked like a fiend and chewed tobacco. I probably got enough second hand smoke for a lifetime as a kid.
He died of throat cancer but I still feel it's bull how they persecute tobacco companies.
It's a person's choice and I think that person alone should accept the consequences.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: irv
Currently trying to quit as is my wife. (You don't want to be around here!
laugh.gif
)
I purchased a Vape before New Years and am currently on day 2 with no cigs!

It's amazing, despite the vape, the urges I still get to have smoke in my hand!
eek.gif
It is part physiological part addiction but I am going to beat it this time!
cheers3.gif

Stick to it irv, you have the right attitude that you WILL beat it this time!

My father quit before I became a smoker. I asked him how he was able to accomplish this after 40 years, and he wasn't an on-again, off-again quitter. He was once & done when he quit.

His words of wisdom were "I just have to keep from picking up a cigarette again. I know if I do, I'll be right back where I was, so I just have to excersise the willpower to not pick that next one up."

That philosophy and his example were immensely helpful when I quit. I like him was able to quit once & done. There was no vape available then and I didn't use nicotine gum or patches switching one delivery system for another. Once I had ramped down to Merit Ultra Lights I told myself if I didn't have the willpower to quit those, then I'd given up my free will completely which was conceptually unacceptable to me.

The most difficult cravings for me when quitting were right after a meal. I had to give up drinking coffee for 2 years, switched to hot tea, as the cigarette & coffee habit link were quite strong for me. Once the smell of secondhand smoke eventually became unappealing to me, I was able to go back to drinking coffee.

Thanks Nyogtha!
cheers3.gif

It's sad, and inexcusable, that I waited until I was short of breath and/or puffing and panting a lot more. I think it took a bit to actually realize that I was!
Today when I wanted one, I got busy, with vape in hand, and it didn't take me long to realize, again, why I was doing this. I am out of shape, no doubt about it, but being somewhat out of breath, panting doing menial tasks, kept me from reaching for one.
I am 53, my son is 16 so I need to do this for not only me, but for him especially.

My Uncle, who drove truck, smoked 3 packs of Craven A menthols a day. He quit cold turkey so if he can do it without a vape, I certainly should be able to do it with one!!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
No, never have and never will, it’s just plain disgusting.

Also I’ve never drunken before. No desire to, don’t see a need.

You've never "drunkin" before? You don't know what you have been missing.

Smoked a pipe in college and mixed my own tabakky.

Then quit.

My BIL has COPD after having a three pack a day habit and now lives a miserable life tied to an oxygen tank.

Last edited:
Never. Unless second hand smoke counts.

Over 30 years ago, back when no one thought about telling smokers that they couldn't smoke in public places, the lunch rooms where I worked were filled with smoke. We had a double wide trailer for a break room for our building. All of us took turns cleaning it on a regular basis. I remember wiping the wood panel walls with a cleaning cloth, and the rag would be covered with amber brown from cigarette smoke. The white ceiling tiles were permanently stained amber brown from cigarette smoke. It was absolutely repulsive. Not that I've ever had a desire to use tobacco products, but if I had, seeing the disgusting results of tobacco was enough to cure me of it for life.

Let me be a cautionary example. I started at 6yrs old. 60 yrs later, I'm not quite on oxygen. 40 solid yrs at a pack a day or better.Haven't successfully stopped Starting to backslide, but I took a Chantix. For the most part Chantix works for me. I have made all kinds of mistakes in my day. Tobacco staves off worse demons sometimes. I can coast along with little desire to smoke. Lately when I back slide, I can only smoke for for 2-3 wks before I really have trouble breathing. Chantix is a prescription drug and costs about the same as 15 cigarette a day habit ` 10$ a day. To the guy who said he smoked 2 1/2 pack and drank a 12 pack a night. Buddy, I hope you are single and remain so whilst engaging in such behavior. Know this, that 25 bucks a day has much better uses. I'm a survivor with this observation about booze and other dissipations. You can party all through your 20s. But if you continue the pace into your 30s, you'll be dead by 40. Over doing booze and drugs defeats the purpose of using them after awhile. Sermon over
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
No, never have and never will, it’s just plain disgusting.

Also I’ve never drunken before. No desire to, don’t see a need.

You've never "drunkin" before? You don't know what you have been missing.
Lol! It actually was autocorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back