Has M1 0W40 DETHRONED GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
I've used M1 0W40 in my 08 Volvo S60 since it was purchased with 19,000 miles. In fact, I had the Volvo dealer install the M1 before I took possession. Several UOAs suggest that the M1 0W40 performs exceedingly well for 7500 mile ocis. Moreover, Doug Hillary (whose opinion I highly value) recommended the M1 in response to a question that I posed regarding M1 vs GC. When you realize that M1 is much more available at a cheaper price (around $6.75 per quart at Wally World), the choice seems pretty obvious for my application.

What engine do you have in your Volvo?

All UK Volvos including 2.4 and 2.5 petrol turbos spec 5w30 A5/B5.

How does yours like the 0w40 Mobil 1?

Did you chose this using your own knowledge base or is it listed in the US market handbooks?

Originally Posted By: bigjl [/quote

What engine do you have in your Volvo?

All UK Volvos including 2.4 and 2.5 petrol turbos spec 5w30 A5/B5.

How does yours like the 0w40 Mobil 1?

Did you chose this using your own knowledge base or is it listed in the US market handbooks?

My S60 has the 2.5 gasoline (petrol to you) turbo which seems to do great on the M1 0W40. I originally chose the M1 quite by accident. I purchased my car from a Porsche dealer and part of the deal was to install a Volvo sirius radio. I went down to the Volvo dealer that was a few doors down from the Porsche dealership when the car was there for the radio and asked them to install synthetic oil at my expense. That Volvo dealer also sells Saabs and stocks the M1 0W40 for the Saab turbos. After picking up my car I looked at the owners manual and it was clear that while 5W30 semi-syn was the recommended oil, either 0W30 or 0W40 full syn were recommended across all temperature ranges and all service applications. I decided to stay with the M1 0W40 following the advice I received from Doug Hillary. The oil is working extremely well for me. Two UOAs at around 7500 miles both had the tbn still in excess of 4.0 and no evidence of excell silicone that would suggest sludge or dirt in the engine.

Your post reminds me of the difference in word choice that I've seen every trip to England (i.e. petrol and handbook vs gasoline an manual).

I think the 5w30 A1/B1 A5/B5 is in part due to the recent Ford influence.

I have checked my "manual", lol, and there is no mention anywhere about using 0w40. Pity as I have had good results in wife's Clio DCi.

Upgrade or severe service is 0w30 A5/B5.

I think it may be because Ford developed my cars diesel engine and your engine is a Volvo.

7500 miles is a decent interval and I don't think you would get anywhere near that on semi synth.

Volvo changed the recommendation in 2004/2005 in gasoline engines and a bit later on diesels. Up to 2004 Mobil 1 0w-40 is the preferred choice and from 2005 onwards it's Mobil 1 0w-30 FE. I did several hundred oil changes on these back in the quicklube days, no visible difference on the engines and they all ran fine.

The GC vs M1 0w-40 debate is highly application-dependent. For example, my Subaru EJ255 turbo motor burns the M1 in either SM or SN formulations, but it consumes very little GC during a 5k OCI. But this motor is also known for relatively high operating temps and for being generally less efficient than many others. Plus its metallurgy varies from what you might see in a Honda turbo or VW turbo application. So I can't say that GC or M1 is "better" for any other kind of engine.

Originally Posted By: vtdave
The GC vs M1 0w-40 debate is highly application-dependent. For example, my Subaru EJ255 turbo motor burns the M1 in either SM or SN formulations, but it consumes very little GC during a 5k OCI. But this motor is also known for relatively high operating temps and for being generally less efficient than many others. Plus its metallurgy varies from what you might see in a Honda turbo or VW turbo application. So I can't say that GC or M1 is "better" for any other kind of engine.

I thought Subaru owners really like Shell Rotella T6?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

In the great lore of Subaru owners (EJ series engines anyway), it's basically: #1. Rotella T6, #2. GC, 3#. #999. Mobil 1 5w-30, and every once in a while someone says "[Insert new SN oil] is the bomb!"

Personally, I go with GC over T6 because I can get both for the same price and GC is better for those -20F mornings. But for "cold starts" in warmer climates, the difference is likely negligible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

In the great lore of Subaru owners (EJ series engines anyway), it's basically: #1. Rotella T6, #2. GC, 3#. #999. Mobil 1 5w-30, and every once in a while someone says "[Insert new SN oil] is the bomb!"

Personally, I go with GC over T6 because I can get both for the same price and GC is better for those -20F mornings. But for "cold starts" in warmer climates, the difference is likely negligible.

I used GC in my VW 1.8T, I believe there is no better oil for that application.
I used in CC, then M1, and going back now to GC. I think GC is much better for VW application.
Particular problem that I have with M1 is cold start compare to GC, although M1 is also 0W.

Answering the op's original question, the answer would have to be yes. M1 0W40 has dethroned GC. No better evidence of that fact could be seen than a post count for the GC dedicated forum. It's averaged a little more than two per month over the last half year or so.

Last edited:
Answering the op's original question, the answer would have to be yes. M1 0W40 has dethroned GC. No better evidence of that fact could be seen than a post count for the GC dedicated forum. It's averaged a little more than two per month over the last half year or so.

Well, I did not see any sudden influx of posts about M1.
I am using it, but switching back to GC!

I had Mobil 1 in my Legacy at main dealer a few times and that engine was specced for 5w30. Don't know wether they put in 0w40 or 5w30.

The oil changes I did were all with Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A5/B5.

No complaints and only used oil when driven at high speed for long periods of time, not unusual for Subarus in my experience.

Strangely 10w40 and 10w30 were accepted viscosities I seem to remember but not 0w40.

That leads me to think maybe 0w40 is too thin when the engine and oil are cold, an issue I have had with a BMW turbo Diesel engine (fitted to a Vauxhall Omega/ US Cadillac Cetera) and a mate had with a 520i.

Both used 0w40 but neither used much 5w40 atall.

You could look at it the other way: there is no dedicated forum/topic for M1 0w40 yet, so M1 is still far behind in the all-important BITOG beauty contest.

You could look at it the other way: there is no dedicated forum/topic for M1 0w40 yet, so M1 is still far behind in the all-important BITOG beauty contest.

But the GC dedicated forum came when GC was on top of the BITOG throne. The continued presence of the forum could indicate nothing more than momentum. Another way to look at it is that the current dominance of M1 0W40 posts relative to those for GC comes despite the existence of the GC forum.

If the M1 0w-40 was green in the SM days and amber now, there'd be enough discussion to have a separate thread.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Obos
Originally Posted By: bigjl
That leads me to think maybe 0w40 is too thin when the engine and oil are cold, an issue I have had with a BMW turbo Diesel engine (fitted to a Vauxhall Omega/ US Cadillac Cetera) and a mate had with a 520i.

Can you expand on this? And just how many members of the opposite sex have you had children with (you keep on referring to many different "mates")

Hmm,
Not sure how to take your post.

Do I ignore it?

Do I answer so that you can throw back another troll like post.

Are you perhaps jealous if somebody as mates?

Do you have issues with fertility perhaps?

Sorry if you do my loins are fully functioning thanks!

Why not check my previous posts. Though, You probably already have!

Then you will see I have indeed posted about these two vehicles before specifically that we both noticed increased oil usage on 0w40 Mobil 1 oil.

Which ceased when a 5w40 was used in my case.

But just so as you are aware.

In the UK people are allowed to buy more than one car in their life.

And if you are a decent honest person you keeps mates for a very long time.

Sometimes these mates change their car, sometimes mates sell each other cars.

Not too complicated for you yet I hope?

Anyway, when you have mates and the chance to reproduce you might be less inclined to post such drivel.

Oh, one thing I should mention.

It isn't reproduction if you are by yourself!

But the GC dedicated forum came when GC was on top of the BITOG throne. The continued presence of the forum could indicate nothing more than momentum. Another way to look at it is that the current dominance of M1 0W40 posts relative to those for GC comes despite the existence of the GC forum.

What are you guys talking about? There is no "GC dedicated forum". There is a Euro oil forum where both GC as well M1 0w-40, being euro spec formulations, can be discussed. There have been plenty of GC as well as M1 0w-40 threads over the years.

Originally Posted By: lars11
I'm thinking of buying 20 liters of German Aral 0w40...

Any reason to choose this oil, please?
http://msdspds.aral.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/645B5326EB85612980257A560041E0B6/$File/BPXE-8X5DXX.pdf

Since I am on my last OCI with GC green, I have been looking at M1 0W40 as an alternative. However, since I have a 5W30 application, it may be a little thick if it doesn't shear any more.

It's worth ordering oil from Germany, there are several places with very affordable pricing.

For example:
Castrol Edge FST 0w-40 7.81€/l
Shell Helix ultra 0w-40 6.77€/l
Total Quartz energy 0w-30 5.62€/l
Mobil 1 0w-40 7.81€/l

Total Quartz seems like a real bargain as it meets MB 229.5 which is no picnic. 5w-40 oils are around 4-6€/l. All the prices include shipping for a 25 litre order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back