Harley Davidson Recalls 175,000 Bikes- Brake Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. I better call the stealer, it looks like mine should be included in this recall.

While I fully agree with brake fluid changes as part of the normal sacrifice to the maintenance God, I've seen plenty of cars go 15-20 years on the same fluid without any 'sticking' issue. Another thing is the brakes will almost always fail in the closed position, possibly causing the bike to skid out of control. If the ABS on a normal system stops working, the normal brake portion usually remains intact. Since this is only a certain year basis, I think it goes much deeper. Perhaps a defective component that in itself, can be milked past the bikes average lifetime buy the fresh fluid changes.

A motorcycle is not a car and why almost all motorcycle makers require 2 year brake fluid changes and more. Heck Yamaha calls for master cylinder and caliper rebuilds, brake line changes every 2 to 4 years.

A motorcycle holds 1/10th or less the brake fluid of a car and moisture will build up in the fluid 10 times faster. So a car will get maybe 20 years while a bike 2 years. 10 x 2 = 20
(above just an example of course)

Bottom line, I am sure everyone has heard of frozen calipers, broken master cylinders, ect. This is all due to moisture in the system.

Now, can Harley or any maker use metals that will not be as affected, yes, I am sure, certainly an issue in those model years but again, if the proper fluid maintenance was done as outlined in the manual, issue would not have happened. Not making excuses for the design, just facts. I would not be happy to have one of those bikes but I do not always change my brake fluid as required.

Last edited:
FWIW I bought my 2007 Dyna back in '12 and the fluid appeared to have never been changed. It was downright nasty and had some sludgy stuff in it. I wiped down the master cylinders and flushed the system with new DOT-4. The bike was supposedly serviced before I bought it at a Harley dealer in the Richmond metro area.

Got my recall notice today. I guess I now have an excuse to pull the cover off and fire the bike up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back