Harley-Davidson motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that HD does not make there own oil, but, does anyone know what company does? I have a friend with a HD that is currently running HD synthetic and was wondering if there was any difference and if so anything cheaper.

You might want to try posting in the "Motorcycle Lubrication" section of the forum. This is the car and truck section.

I think the HD oils are probably good oils, and I'd have no problem using them if they were reasonably priced. But they aren't.

Citgo makes both 360 & Syn3. But you can get Mobil1Vtwin at AZ for the same price and Redline at my oil shop dot com as well. SYn3 is a GRPIII while Vtwin is GRPIV and Redline GRPV

Quote:

Citgo makes both 360 & Syn3. But you can get Mobil1Vtwin at AZ for the same price and Redline at my oil shop dot com as well. SYn3 is a GRPIII while Vtwin is GRPIV and Redline GRPV

The MSDS that's posted on here shows that Syn3 is mainly a PAO based synthetic with very little Group III in it.

Not sure about that but syn3 runs like #@$%! in my TC88 and causes top end valve clatter that disappears when Mobil1Vtwin is used. Lots of people don't like the syn3 on the Harley forums based on having their dealers installing it. I have one quart left that I'll probably use in my primary or give it away but never again in the engine. Using it in the trans is simply unwise. Even the wrenches at my Harley dealer prefer M1 in their bikes.

Thanks guys,

Sorry about the Car/truck section post, but, I had read in a motorcycle magazine that HD oil was the same type if not the same oil (just put in a HD package) as the car/truck oil and can be used at a cheaper price. Your replies just confimed this. As they say in Hawaii, Mahalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back