Harley Davidson Icon Collection - Highway King

Hey, it 2014 it was called "Amber Whiskey" 😁
IMG_2853.jpeg

Harley doesn't capture the look. They created the look. They've updated their own look, which has stood the test of time.,,
We might have to give a mention to Indian also. Harley was always better, but the styling was a product of the times. I remember it well.... (just kidding I'm old but not that old)

There have been 3 so far, this Highway King is the third.

The other 2 were the El Diablo

And The Electra Glide Revival

Some how i just feel like Indian is not as good at capturing the vintage look, its more derivative and they are massive where i don't think the older ones were.

There have been 3 so far, this Highway King is the third.

The other 2 were the El Diablo

And The Electra Glide Revival

Some how i just feel like Indian is not as good at capturing the vintage look, its more derivative and they are massive where i don't think the older ones were.

You have to remember what is known as the current "Indian motorcycle company", is the second revival of the original company. Which went out of business in the mid 1950's. The only thing that was passed down in the following years was the name. Which was bought. None of the original people, or designs were or are, being used in today's vehicles. Except for the large fenders. Everything else is brand new as far as their design goes. But the company still tries to claim some sort of connection to the original company. Clearly there is no connection, but in an attempt to lure Harley riders to their new brand, they can only convince those who don't know the real history. So what also hurts the brand is a limited dealer network. In another 100 years or so, they might catch up with Harley's.,,,

You have to remember what is known as the current "Indian motorcycle company", is the second revival of the original company. Which went out of business in the mid 1950's. The only thing that was passed down in the following years was the name. Which was bought. None of the original people, or designs were or are, being used in today's vehicles. Except for the large fenders. Everything else is brand new as far as their design goes. But the company still tries to claim some sort of connection to the original company. Clearly there is no connection, but in an attempt to lure Harley riders to their new brand, they can only convince those who don't know the real history. So what also hurts the brand is a limited dealer network. In another 100 years or so, they might catch up with Harley's.,,,
Indian has had multiple revival attempts over the years. Not until Polaris purchased the rights has it had market stability, albeit at the cost of Victory motorcycles. Engineering wise, they were rock solid.

Im not big on revivals. I like the bikes but the white wall tires and spoke wheels are a turn off to me. Not a fan of the faring and saddle bags being a different color on the Electra... I guess I dont like the bike *LOL*

Yet I do like bikes with more limited options on them. Give me the basics, ABS, Cruise, stuff like that in a bike and why I love my current Road King with an actual key to turn the bike on and off. I do think that SXRT looks awesome even though its been out of production for decades! Maybe because it's along my liking, great functionality but hold the options and accessories they are packing on the bikes. Including the KEYFOB.
I do like the Diablo looks but at its price, it would only be a dream and an audio system on a bike is not important to me. Just not into all the stuff.
(I know I am in the minority I think)

Maybe because it's along my liking, great functionality but hold the options and accessories they are packing on the bikes. Including the KEYFOB.
(I know I am in the minority I think)
^ I hear ya bro! 👍 I’ve had grandma’s comment “ nice Harley “ on my Superglide. I’ve never been asked “ what motorcycle is that “ ? BTW, happy 120th anniversary to Harley Davidson!

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 9
I do believe the look was a product of the times. Clearly, Indian bikes of the late 40's had some similar features. As did some BMW's.

But I do have to give Harley the nod, as they took the design it to completion rapidly, and stuck with it. What they produced was the right thing for the new American roadways of the 1950's. Not much has changed and they still work well here. Probably not the ideal design for Cambodia or India, but if you want to go explore the USA, it's a great choice.

If I were not so wobbly in my old age, I'd ride FL to Alaska, and enjoy every minute.

The final year for the Springfield, Mass. real Indian was 1953. The current outstanding Indian models from Polaris are the third reintegration of the brand after the original.

1. Clymer's rebadged Royal Enfield's as Indians.
2. The NC company ( have forgotten their name) of about 20 years ago. Harley aftermarket engines. World HQ before they had a bike.
3. Polaris.

It was common practice long ago for packs of Indian riders to ride out of fields to harras HD riders coming down the road. A lot.

A lifelong Indian rider once warned me in the mid 60's that he better never catch me on an HD. I had access to an uncle's last year Chief from age 15-19, so I lived the dream a bit. Also had some time in on a $300 '52 panhead, so I respect that.

The final year for the Springfield, Mass. real Indian was 1953. The current outstanding Indian models from Polaris are the third reintegration of the brand after the original.

1. Clymer's rebadged Royal Enfield's as Indians.
2. The NC company ( have forgotten their name) of about 20 years ago. Harley aftermarket engines. World HQ before they had a bike.
3. Polaris.

It was common practice long ago for packs of Indian riders to ride out of fields to harras HD riders coming down the road. A lot.

A lifelong Indian rider once warned me in the mid 60's that he better never catch me on an HD. I had access to an uncle's last year Chief from age 15-19, so I lived the dream a bit. Also had some time in on a $300 '52 panhead, so I respect that.
If a brand is re-badged as something else, it's not original. Especially if the bike doesn't have any resemblance to the original vehicle. Like I said before , they just bought the name, not the company. I've heard alot of folklore in regard's to good natured ribbing of different brands, mostly among friends. My first Harley was a '48 Panhead I bought in 1974. Paid $900 for it, and road it home. Indian were dead and buried by that time, and only the real ol timers would reminisce about how great the were. None of the guys I rode with knew anything about them, or cared to learn about them.,,

Grandpa was an Indian guy. Even had and used his dispatch/tow for customer car oil change pickup and deliver. Told me about the board track races he went to in NJ. Said back then the Indian was more reliable than the HD that's why he rode them.

Attachments

• frank stevens.jpg
    frank stevens.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 10
Back