Hankook vs Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not yet. They showed up yesterday. Have to pick a shop to do it.

Look decent, although I was a bit sad to see that the siping only goes halfway down--then again, that's the good half of the tread, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Just started filling out the rebate forms and... can't find the Hankook rebate.
frown.gif
I swear, the ATM's had a rebate, but I can't find anything about it. Losing that raises my cost to about $600; I don't know if I misread and thought I saw $60 that didn't exist.

Had I known that, I would have gone with the Coopers. Oh well.

Ive had Hankook DynaPro ATMs on my 2500 Dodge diesel for the last 100k miles. IMO they are the best AT tire on the market for WI driving. I use LT tires on my 2500.

They work very well in snow.
They work great in wet and dry roads.
They work very well in loose dirt.
They work acceptable in mud.
Load rating was 3750lbs on first set. Second set is at 3350?Lbs. Not sure why they lowered it, but whatever.

My first set lasted 73k miles. I use my truck to haul 11k race trailer in a hurry because I was always late to the track, my 10k travel trailer, hunting 50 miles down gravel roads in northern Ontario, climbing 2 track dirt trails in the Rocky mtns in Wyoming. Never had a flat, only got road noise on 2 from belts starting to break around 70k. Tread was worn, but usable yet. I kept 2 for spares since I use 1 size bigger tires then stock.
Awesome tires.

I had a truck with Coopers years ago. They were an AT but I don't recall which exact model. I didn't have any problem with them, but I don't recall them being outstanding either.

Ive never had much luck with any BFG or Goodyear tires for the type of driving I do with my trucks.

The Hankooks are "wiggly" for about the first 500 miles. Truck feels "squirmy". But that goes away. I run my tires around 70psi at all times. I rotate only when I notice the rears starting to wear more than the fronts.

Hope they work out for ya.

edit; the biggest problem I have with the Hankooks is the black on the sidewall wears off easily if your wife rubs it along the curbs....gets that cr a p p y looking whitewall stripe.

Last edited:
Hankooks on today. Initial impression, more noise at lower speeds than my iPikes, but I think wind noise drowns out both on the highway. A little surprising to me. Not obnoxious, expected as it is not a highway tread I guess. We'll see how they go over time.

I know you've already made your purchase so I don't want to seem to be flogging a dead issue but I wanted to throw in my observances.

I've not run ATM Hankooks on the same truck as the A/T3 I'm currently running, but I ran them on an older Silverado. Hankook ATMs get LOUD the older they get. They start out noisy and by the end of service life they're obnoxious.

The Cooper A/T3 has been a great tire for me at least on my Nissan truck. They're not the greatest winter option, but then most AT tires aren't. 30k miles into them they're still as quiet as the day I bought them.

I had Michelin A/T2s on there originally and they were much smoother on the highway, which is the only real drawback I've found in the Coopers. The Michelins also seemed to net me consistently better MPGs. But for semi-offroading (camping, fishing trips, etc) the Coopers have more dig and bite in them than the Michelins, which is hilarious as the Coopers were half the price.

Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
Hankook ATMs get LOUD the older they get. They start out noisy and by the end of service life they're obnoxious.

I have some Hankook Ventus all seasons on the Matrix that have gotten super loud. 60k miles on them. Just had some new Nokian all seasons delivered this morning. Can't wait to get them on. Whew!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I have some Hankook Ventus all seasons on the Matrix that have gotten super loud. 60k miles on them. Just had some new Nokian all seasons delivered this morning. Can't wait to get them on. Whew!

60k on a performance-oriented all-season tire is not bad at all!
happy2.gif

The Nokian WRG3, if that's the all-season you got, probably won't last 60k, either, but they will be better in snow than the old Hankooks you're replacing
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

happy2.gif

The Nokian WRG3, if that's the all-season you got, probably won't last 60k, either, but they will be better in snow than the old Hankooks you're replacing
smile.gif

I actually ordered the eNTYRE model. Should be much better in winter conditions than the Hankook. I'll be happy with 50k miles out of them. 700 utqg, A temp, A traction.
smile.gif

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-entyre/

I could have purchased some Westlake tires for $30 each. They had good reviews except for their winter capabilities and decided not to risk it.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

happy2.gif

smile.gif

I actually ordered the eNTYRE model. Should be much better in winter conditions than the Hankook. I'll be happy with 50k miles out of them. 700 utqg, A temp, A traction.
smile.gif

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-entyre/

I could have purchased some Westlake tires for $30 each. They had good reviews except for their winter capabilities and decided not to risk it.

I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of them
smile.gif

Please keep us updated on your experience on the entyres once you get them. Not too many people talk about them since it's not Nokian's most popular tire.

Bumping my thread. Got to use the ATM's a bit this fall, as we had a white Thanksgiving. Really didn't have much traction on hard packed snow or ice. Had to use 4WD a number of times in the driveway, which is dead annoying. That said, things dried up and I haven't been able to A/B them against my iPikes, so maybe there isn't much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back