Had truck junked/salvaged how to remove it from DMV.

Had my junker truck salvaged now DMV still thinks i have it does anyone know what is needed for them to remove it?

It had no plates to turn in as it was marked farm use. If you check it's VIN it is marked as being salvaged. The tittle was signed over to the salvage company.

I live in VA so they charge property tax on it. Can't really find a good answer of the DMV website.

Thanks in advanced!

Had my junker truck salvaged now DMV still thinks i have it does anyone know what is needed for them to remove it?

It had no plates to turn in as it was marked farm use. If you check it's VIN it is marked as being salvaged. The tittle was signed over to the salvage company.

I live in VA so they charge property tax on it. Can't really find a good answer of the DMV website.

Thanks in advanced!
See line 4 in the linked Virginia DMV site webpage:

VA DMV - Disposing of Vehicles

Usually just fill out the back of the registration where it says vehicle disposed, sold or traded. I think you can do it online too. I’ve personally never done it but have seen that on the back of all my registrations here in Virginia.

It didn't have a registration as it was marked as a farm use truck, no state inspections or anything.

I don't know about your state but Florida titles have a part on the title that the seller fills in when he sells the vehicle and the seller then files that part directly with the state. But a lot of people never bother to do it so sometimes it becomes a problem later on if the buyer doesn't register the vehicle.

I don't know about your state but Florida titles have a part on the title that the seller fills in when he sells the vehicle and the seller then files that part directly with the state. But a lot of people never bother to do it so sometimes it becomes a problem later on if the buyer doesn't register the vehicle.
Same here in SD.

What do you mean "Marked As" a farm truck? Did it have a Virginia Farm Truck license plate? Was it insured?
I don't know if the rules have changed but I had a farm truck in Virginia in the late 1970s and early 80s and all I had to do was to make a placard for the back of it stating that it was a "farm truck". I did have the title in my name but no other tag was necessary and no insurance or annual state inspection was required. IIRC I was only allowed to use it within 40 miles of my "farm" and only for farm related use.

I did have the title in my name but no other tag was necessary and no insurance or annual state inspection was required. IIRC I was only allowed to use it within 40 miles of my "farm" and only for farm related use.
So what if within 40 miles of your farm a tire blows and you loose control causing a wreck? Who pays the $100,000 is damages to the five cars you hit and $1M in personal injury claims?

So what if within 40 miles of your farm a tire blows and you loose control causing a wreck? Who pays the $100,000 is damages to the five cars you hit and $1M in personal injury claims?
Where I was at you wouldn't see five cars in a day. That's even when I was on a road, most of the time this truck was hauling wood or stone from the back hallows out in the mountains. I had it for about five years and I never drove it more than about 6 miles from home, I never blew a tire, never wrecked five cars, never caused $100,000 in damages or $1M in injury claims. Sorry to disappoint you; but let me ask, is that a reoccurring problem for you?? Take it up with the Commonwealth of Virginia if you don't like their laws.

No, i forgot to ask.
This is an interesting topic even though I'm in PA and we don't have the tax. I would think the registration determines the need to tax?

Here, I did nothing, just let the plates expire, but there, I'd cancel my plates. Although you said you don't have plates anyway.

Be curious to hear the answer.

Same here in SD.
The "instructions" for when I just scrapped my Nissan said to get the title notarized.

That no good state representative whose office is walking distance and offers free notary services, doesn't do auto titles. That clown is something.

So I called the place coming to get the car, and they said, oh no! Please don't notarize it. There is some shady aspect I know, but hey the car's been gone months.

I never blew a tire, never wrecked five cars, never caused $100,000 in damages or $1M in injury claims. Sorry to disappoint you; but let me ask, is that a reoccurring problem for you?? Take it up with the Commonwealth of Virginia if you don't like their laws.
Is what a reoccurring problem for me? Insurance is not for when you never cause $100,000 in damages or $1M in injury claims. It's for if you do which can happen the moment you pull out of your driveway. Nobody expects to be in an accident, but does no matter how careful you are. Not having insurance is your choice as long as you paid the uninsured motorist fee.

Reactions: djb
Is what a reoccurring problem for me? Insurance is not for when you never cause $100,000 in damages or $1M in injury claims. It's for if you do which can happen the moment you pull out of your driveway. Nobody expects to be in an accident, but does no matter how careful you are. Not having insurance is your choice as long as you paid the uninsured motorist fee.
Insurance for farm use vehicles is no longer optional in Virginia.
1683761279486.jpg

I had zero insurance on it as it never seen the highway. Yes VA just changed the farm use law as it was being abused, i think you now have to prove that you do own a farm.

I know i used to see some cars with farm use plates on them!

Back