Had to polish again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I loaned my car out to a friend who has her's in the shop. I've been riding my motorcycle back and forth to work anyways. So before giving it back to me she runs it through an automatic car wash. Well I didn't say anything but it did induce some hologramming in my paint. So this is a good time to use Ultimate Polish and see the results. I didn't take any before shots since it didn't look all that bad and the hologramming is kinda hard to photograph.

But the results are pretty good. But surprisingly not too much better than Ultimate Compound, certainly not enough to capture reliably on camera . So I'd say for most people needing just simple swirl correction a properly done single step polish with just Ultimate Compound ought to do.

Tools used were the same as my compounding, 6" wax spreader polisher, clean wool bonnet and Meguiars Ultimate Polish.

The one thing that did stand out is after waxing with Collinite 915 the metallic flakes pop just ever so subtley more than with Ultimate Compound alone. But for most people I'd say it's not worth raving over how much better.

But what I'd say is after doing a major correction I'd personally just leave it with Ultimate Compound until the next seasonal polish then use Ultimate Polish.

k0hq.jpg

This is what the car was like after just the polishing. Ignore the mud on the tires and bumper. I didn't wash the car, I just used spray detailer to clean the panels before polishing.

vzz7.jpg

Close up of the panel to show the metallic flakes popping after waxing.

Looks good. Nice of you to loan out the car to her. Also nice of her to have at least been thoughtful enough to give it back clean. She might not now how you are with your vehicles to start with.

Ultimate Compound is very good, Especially if used with a DA polisher. It USUALLY is all most folks will ever need. Anything more abrasive than the Ultimate Compound you run the risk of doing more harm then good. I personally use UC to take off bird bomb etchings and any other contaminents off the paint.

As for Collinite 915, its a great product as well. I find it though to be kina a PITA to use. There are just so much EASIER to apply and take off sealants/waxes out on the market that just makes things so much easier. Example? Duragloss 105. Though Collinite is a great product, I find it takes me 2x's as long to apply and take off vs others on the market. I do have a can of 915, and a bottle of 845 still in the cabinet.

There are many BRANDS and everyone has a STORY but you find something you like and stick to it. I like to try new products and see what works better. I have always been like htat. haha. On my current car it is SO PICKY with products.

Car looks great, too bad about the car wash..

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back