Had Some Hot Rod Fun Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cronk
Was it slow cranking? Often cars with headers need a heat blanket gor the starter, my 86 T/A needed one.

Not even a little. This thing has an Optima red top battery and a Robbmc mini starter. Spared no expense on the build. HPC coated headers too... That's SUPPOSED to control heat to some degree (haha).

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Originally Posted By: cronk
Was it slow cranking? Often cars with headers need a heat blanket gor the starter, my 86 T/A needed one.

Not even a little. This thing has an Optima red top battery and a Robbmc mini starter. Spared no expense on the build. HPC coated headers too... That's SUPPOSED to control heat to some degree (haha).

I have the same starter on my GTO. Had hot start problems for years but, no more. I also had hot start problems because of today's gas and had to make some phenolic insulators for the carbs. Gas would boil in the carbs on days above 90 degrees.

Yep. This one has a phenolic spacer. It definitely seems like his gas was getting heated up in the supply line. Immediately after moving the line away from the header, I noticed the fuel pressure was 2 psi higher after the engine started warming up.
They're using the vapor return port in the bottom of the pump. I told him if it still has problems on hot days we'll have to all the way with a return line after the carb but it really seems like we fixed it.

So, a little more fooling with this car, some trial and error and some more test drives. It would idle and act fine. He drove it home from the shop where it was built and as long as he was driving and moving, it was fine. The instant he attempted to stop and idle, it would vapor lock and not want to restart. I decided if he wanted too continue using the carb and mechanical pump, we would have to set up a return style regulator and re route the line from the pump to the carb. It was routed over the alternator which was really hot.
We removed the original feed line and installed this fuel log that Moroso makes that has an adjustable needle and seat type thing that returns excess fuel after the carb is given fuel. Again, worked better, like we got the best test ride yet but after a while running loaded, it acted up when we decelerated and we had a hard time getting back to the house.
Since I didn't build this car I decided it was time to get serious and start from scratch. We jacked it up and put it on jackstands and checked the pickup at the tank. Robbmc 1/2" supply line with -8 line with a filter and then more -8 line up to the suction side of the pump. Filter is a little close to the exhaust for my liking since fuel in suction will boil faster.
We're also going to remove the mechanical pump and put an Aeromotive Stealth 340 in the tank. Make the return line -8 also. Icing on the cake will be to insulate the lines in the engine compartment. I think this will finally be it. I'll keep you posted.

Oh yeah... I also discovered the vacuum advance was not connected. I connected the vacuum can to manifold vacuum and the car instantly ran better. I had to reset the idle speed a little but all this crazy excess heat it was making at idle went away.
Getting a better burn at idle I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back