Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Apple and they determined it was indeed ransom attack. I had to wipe the ipad and start from scratch. The apple cloud did load most of my apps and some IM content. I got the impression that they were surprised about the attack. IMO I get lots more tracking on my pad than I do my MS desktop.
Smoky

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
It can't happen to a Mac they said..

It's all about the largest market. Not too many years ago, Windows-based computers made up around 85% of the market, macOS was 10-12%, and the remainder was Linux and some others that most people have never heard of. Which would you target ? They all have exploits. Obviously today with the prevalence of mobile OSs, the bad guys are targeting iOS and Android frequently.

That has always been a poor argument. Marketshare is one factor of many. Ease of exploit, ease of getting it on the machine, and how long you go undetected are also factors. If I were writing this stuff I'd target the smaller platforms that I could run for days/weeks/months/years undetected rather than a platform that has users installing tons of anti-malware stuff. I'd rather go for the smaller target that I could run on for long periods of time silently doing my work. Flying under the radar is where you want to be, not out in the open.

Originally Posted by Smoky14
I called Apple and they determined it was indeed ransom attack. I had to wipe the ipad and start from scratch. The apple cloud did load most of my apps and some IM content. I got the impression that they were surprised about the attack. IMO I get lots more tracking on my pad than I do my MS desktop.
Smoky

Thanks for the follow-up. That's a first then, I've not seen an iPad encounter this issue. I have plenty of aunts/uncles that frequently require me to fix things for them when I'm over...
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back