Guy got fired at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
What does "Bravo Sierra" mean? Is that anything like an A&P mechanic (Spartan grad) doing a P-51 inspection on an airplane? Parker used to make a P-5i fountain pen so the reference to P-51 meant someone was simply signing off on the inspection rather than doing it.
They are 2 letters of the Phonetic Alphabet.

Last edited:
When I was a network manager I had to recommend firing someone on my team for a similar thing. We had a network issue and he said it was fixed when it wasn't. Twice. Can't afford that with Treasury Dealing room networks.

Wasn't fired for incompetance. In a big complex network with a lot of legacy stuff on it things can be hard to diagnose, and he was still in training. He was fired (after transferring elsewhere and getting a similar review from another team leader) for apparently incurable optimism.

IIRC there seemed to be a lot of incurable optimists at the Fukushima nuclear plant. Seems to go with the territory.

The autocensor apparently doesn't like the name of the melted down Japanese nuclear plant. The autocensor is an arse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I wonder if the person who was fired ever realized that his real sin, in the context of a complex project, was holding up all the other trades and processes which were dependent on his task? And then compounding it by not alerting the higher ups, therefore putting them in a situation of looking incompetent?

I'm thinking that the big boss who did the "exit interview" may have filled him in.

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words. I'm thankful, at age 59, that I can still go out and do the work. I know a couple of guys who have gout and other issues (and are younger than me), and it makes it difficult for them. I'm not as fast as the young guys when it comes to digging, or carrying cast iron pipe up a ladder, but fortunately that doesn't come up for me very often.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
The autocensor apparently doesn't like the name of the melted down Japanese nuclear plant. The autocensor is an arse.

Fukushima. I might have put a Charlie in it. Oops

Originally Posted By: Ducked

The correct spelling is, "Fukushima"

Thanks

I've seen an anesthesiologist chew out a nurse before the open heart surgery started because he asked her a question about a certain prescription drug and the nurse replied "I guess it's OK"....

If you don't know the answer, simply tell the doctor you don't know and you'll find out the answer ASAP. The doctor was professional and told her to never assume anything.

That's why you'll see 'Time Out for Time Out' signs inside all the surgical rooms.

-------------------------------------------------

There's been times when they called biomed STAT to a surgery and I had to call the manufacturer's tech support because there was a major problem with a piece of equipment. Nothing wrong with telling the surgeon you've never seen that problem and need tech support to help troubleshoot a serious problem.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
One of the first things I say to new hires who are working for me is that I want someone smart enough to say
“I don’t know”.

I have asked our project superintendents what trade they think is the hardest and plumbing is the most frequent answer. Congratulations on your position and your wisdom through experience.

Fewer things are worse than going through an inspection when you know you’re not ready, especially when there are people counting on you to make your inspection so they can follow you with their work.

I said the same thing when training new instructors. If you don't know, say you don't know that and will find out. Write in on the corner of the whiteboard and go find out.

As an instructor, you only have your knowledge and your credibility. Well, maybe some teaching ability too. But the bottom line is if you lose your credibility, it won't matter how much you do know, or how well you teach; no one will believe you.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Stelth
The guy who got canned wasn't really a bad guy, in fact, if he had brought his rhetoric down a notch or two (you would have thought he was the King of Plumbers), he would probably still have a job.

I wonder if anyone has cared enough to tactfully explain to him his flaws......

otherwise it'll be wash, rinse, repeat..... job after job after job......

It could be wash, rinse, repeat anyway.

I work with a guy who is a textbook narcissist. Narcissists are not self-aware. Even when flaws are brought to their attention.

Someone with NPD responds to criticism with "what an idiot, he has no clue" or just outright rage. They can't be wrong and you better not dare challenge their proficiency. They don't readily integrate new information, don't accept direction from someone they feel is "inferior," and will make it well known how good they are at everything.

It is so incredibly exhausting working with someone like this.

Totally agree.

At my last job my boss and I didn't know what we were doing, with promises made to assumption that ended up being wrong (vendor will sell us a turn key solution, we only need to come up with the initial design and then pass it on to another team, it is only a part time effort so we don't want to hire a full time expert on it), I started out slow as our base is not in order (other new hires screwed up some of the system I depended on), then vendor refuse to sell us the solution as it involves trade secret with our competitors (talked to friends working at competitor, it is not the case, just vendor don't want to give up solution for low price), other teams refuse to take over after we finish, etc.

Boss keep telling me my forecast is too slow, need to speed up and ask me to agree to a quicker estimate, and I need to meet a higher standard. Higher standard being other part of the team try to implement certain procedures that if I follow will slow down 2x-3x, but I was not given more time on it and it would be my bad if I couldn't implement it. I asked for additional help but was told there isn't any available and I just have to tough it out.

Right before I went to a business trip to our contract manufacturer my boss told me I would be fired shortly after the trip so I better start finding a new job (it is a heads up 4 months notice, which I appreciate instead of a 2 week notice), however the higher up wants to use my previously agreed to schedule against me for my performance.

In the end I went on a business trip to a contract manufacturer, and my counter party told me that what my boss though was a part time effort is actually a 3 men's work. When I came back I interviewed and found another job and left, with about 80% of the work done. The boss ended up using 2 people to wrap up the remaining amount, and use me as a scapegoat for the delay and justification on putting more people on it. Surprisingly the "extra resource" magically appear as soon as I left.

Managements are people too, and they will also lie to cover up their mistakes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back