Gumout prefilled in filter for Diesel Injector Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing and hearing alot about people pre-filling their fuel filters with SeaFoam (and it's many imitators) in order to clean the injectors in their diesel engines.

Yes, you read correctly. Diesel engines will start and run on straight SeaFoam or similar product.

I decided I would try it myself, since neither of my Rams have ever had an injector cleaning as far as I know.

Rather than use SeaFoam, I decided to use the Gumout clone of SF. It actually contains PEA, the effective fuel system cleaning agent.

The directions are simple: Remove and/or drain fuel filter. Install new filter cartridge and fill the canister from the outside-in, or fill new spin-on filter from outside-in. Install the filled fuel filter. Start and run. For 5 minutes, and then shut down engine and allow to sit for 5 minutes. After that, start the engine again, and drive it hard.

It took almost 2 cans to fill my factory filter. I didn't try filling the filters I have under the bed, because they would have probably taken 5 of them a piece.

I have no scientific info with regards to results. I can tell you that my Ram has smoothed out and is less sluggish coming out of the hole. One reason I did this is because there was slowly developing a feeling like I had to give extra pedal to get her to take off. That feeling is gone, along with the quasi lopey idle.

On the whole, I am satisfied.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I pre fill mine with LM diesel purge on my w123s.

I would use that if I had it on hand but I usually dont.

Good to know! I just may do this on my Powerstroke on the next filter change. My truck runs perfect now but preventative maintenance never hurts!

It might do some good, but the fuel filter empties and refills so quickly that the difference between adding the whole bottle to your tank versus pre filling your filter makes no measurable difference to cleanliness over the duration for which the additive in in the fuel system.

To me, it's more about hitting the I jesters with the dull strength formula, as opposed to being diluted in the fuel.

Using it at full strength does seem to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back