Group III Base Oil Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting viewpoint. I get a kick out of the way he puts quotes around the word "synthetic" every time it appears in the same sentence as "Group III".

One thing I didn't know was that GTL base stocks are considered Group III. I think GTL fits the classical definition of synthetic because it is produced from lower molecular-weight feed stocks.

It's pretty disgusting to think that some GrpIII's can have VI's of 122-125, and still be called "synthetic".

I should note that the author does not talk much about the additive packages, which plays an equal (if not more important) role in the overall quality and performance of the finished product.

Quote:
Yes, there are differences in quality between different PAOs and Esters as well, so, in that respect, Group IIIs are no different.

So why write an article about it?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

It's pretty disgusting to think that some GrpIII's can have VI's of 122-125, and still be called "synthetic".

EDIT: Here is Shell's XHVI Group III data sheet - I thought it was lower, but apparently it's got a VI of 147 which is as good as most PAOs.

Shell XHVI

Remember that the final product is a blend of base oils of different viscosities in ratios that achieve the final numbers, so a final blended product that's made primarily with that XHVI will still end up with an overall VI of ~170 or so.

Last edited:
That's what the author was complaining about: some Group III's have VI's that are only marginally better than Group II, and other's such as Shell's XHVI, can be on a par with PAO's. Yet all of them are considered "synthetic".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That's what the author was complaining about: some Group III's have VI's that are only marginally better than Group II, and other's such as Shell's XHVI, can be on a par with PAO's. Yet all of them are considered "synthetic".

I had originally posted that Shell's XHVI had a VI in the 120-125 range as I recalled seeing that somewhere, but upon further review I edited my post, as its VI is much higher.

A Group III must have a VI of at least 120 to be considered such, and I guess this author's point is that this bar is too low?

What syn oil has a VI of 122-125 ??? Almost all I have seen show in the 160 plus range in 5-20 wt. some of a 200 VI 0-20 weight like Honda, Toyota. So to make this read not a waste of time WHAT syn are in this low range. Without that info we go back to listening to that famous guy in the diner.Gotta be specific all the time when you are in this kind of thread. Otherwise we are guessing and as always,
frown.gif
cannot reach a conclusion. quote=The Critic]http://motoroilbible.com/blog/group-iii-basestock-quality/

Yes, I realize the source. [/quote]

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
What syn oil has a VI of 122-125 ??? Almost all I have seen show in the 160 plus range in 5-20 wt. some of a 200 VI 0-20 weight like Honda, Toyota. So to make this read not a waste of time WHAT syn are in this low range. Without that info we go back to listening to that famous guy in the diner.Gotta be specific all the time when you are in this kind of thread. Otherwise we are guessing and as always,
frown.gif
cannot reach a conclusion. quote=The Critic]http://motoroilbible.com/blog/group-iii-basestock-quality/

Yes, I realize the source.
[/quote]

I guess, they discuss base stocks' VI, not motor oils'.

Thank you. There is another article worth reading there:'Where Will Lower Viscosity Take US?' - page 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back