Ground loop isolators -- home versus auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to add a ground loop isolator into my computer speaker setup. Most of the ones I see are targeted at automotive installation -- is there any difference between a ground loop in the automotive sense and the home electronics world?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
What is the issue you are having?

Ground loop problems. Squealing/clicking/odd noises coming from my JBL monitors. Have already ruled everything else out.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Ground loop problems. Squealing/clicking/odd noises coming from my JBL monitors. Have already ruled everything else out.

That does not sound like a ground loop to me - at least not one I've ever ran across.

Squealing/clicking/odd noises sounds like classic self oscillation of an amplifier stage. Or an unwanted positive feedback loop that is putting something in and out of oscillation.

Commercially manufactured equipment is very good about not having ground loop problems with other pieces of equipment. Usually when you run into ground loop issues, it's with homemade equipment.

Originally Posted By: Win

That does not sound like a ground loop to me - at least not one I've ever ran across.

Squealing/clicking/odd noises sounds like classic self oscillation of an amplifier stage. Or an unwanted positive feedback loop that is putting something in and out of oscillation.

Commercially manufactured equipment is very good about not having ground loop problems with other pieces of equipment. Usually when you run into ground loop issues, it's with homemade equipment.
Ground loops usually are associated with low frequency (power line related) hum.

It always happens when the computer is "busy" doing something like reading/writing data to the SSD, transferring a lot of data across the network, or sometimes even moving the mouse around.

My chain of devices is as such:

Computer --> Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC --> Blue Jeans LC-1 stereo audio cables (6ft) --> JBL LSR2310 subwoofer --> Monoprice XLR cables (10ft) --> JBL LSR2325P speakers

Here's what I've tried without success:

1. replaced computer power supply (high-end Corsair one)
2. replaced USB cable (non-ferrite & no choke, by the way, per the USB specification)
3. replaced stereo audio cables
4. moved DAC to other side of desk
5. replaced computer power strip
6. added ferrite chokes to speaker & subwoofer power cables
7. tightened all motherboard mounting screws
8. tried all 8 USB ports (including the front 2 on the case)
9. unplugged all USB devices except the DAC
10. toggled spread spectrum clocking on motherboard

If I plug the USB DAC into my laptop, there is zero interference. Or if I switch to the motherboard's on-board Realtek HD audio, the problem is mostly eliminated (still a very slight hiss but the RFI/EMI is almost entirely gone), leading me to believe the motherboard is introducing a ton of noise onto the USB bus somehow. eVGA is allowing me to RMA it, so hopefully that will be the end of it.

What annoys me most is how the RFI/EMI is right on the threshold of being audible, but as a person with very good hearing, it bugs me to no end. It's especially noticeable during video games or movies when I'm intently focused and a quiet scene comes up.

If I plug the USB DAC into my laptop, there is zero interference. Or if I switch to the motherboard's on-board Realtek HD audio, the problem is mostly eliminated (still a very slight hiss but the RFI/EMI is almost entirely gone), leading me to believe the motherboard is introducing a ton of noise onto the USB bus somehow. eVGA is allowing me to RMA it, so hopefully that will be the end of it.

If I recall, you mentioned this issue on another thread? I was curious of the outcome given all the suggestions.

So the LT eliminates the problem, meaning it's source related. On-board audio is 'mostly' clean. Sounds like either a noisy device, a high impedance AC ground, poor bypassing or a host of other things.

I too hear squiggles, squeaks, buzzes, all that annoying stuff. Very irritating over time...

Report back when you find the solution!

Did you ever get this solved?

Even though it sounds like a parasitic oscillation, to me, and not a ground loop, consider that if it is a ground loop, the solution is sometimes counter intuitive - you have to do a better job of joining the grounds together rather than a better job of isolating them.

They can be tricky things to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back