Grossly overloaded Dodge 3500 w/truck camper - frame visibly flexing

wwillson

Staff member
A couple months ago we had this thread that talked about a broken frame on a Dodge 3500:

Today I saw this truck in Alamogordo, NM. The gap at the top between the cab and the bed was at least 1.5" wider than the gap at the bottom. Unfortunately, the jack was lined up with the gap when I took the picture. You can still clearly see the frame is flexing. How anyone could stand there and look at this and think it's "OK" to get on the road is beyond me.

E794FF50-D253-4A35-8AE5-B93B70DF48E1.jpeg

Maybe him and the Missus weigh 350# each, that will counteract the upward bow some :cool:.

Hopefully, he just breaks down all by himself and doesn't take out a busload of people when that thing splits in half on a bridge expansion joint.

Shortly after reading the story about the Ram frame brake in Mexico, I was passed on I 5 south of Seattle by a F350 with a camper, I suspect he was driving about 80 mph. That F350 with the camper at 80 mph was bouncing and swaying the back end of the truck like it was a small boat at sea with high winds. The added stress on that F350 frame from small changes in grade and direction on the interstate, at 80 MPH was huge. That slide on the back of the F350 was moving about like a carnival fun house.

Lots of risks with slides in. Weight, high speed, and road conditions........ multiply those risks.......

I work for a company that sells sway bars and steel helper springs. While I think the overloading by the half ton crowd is even worse, I just can't get past how many people just ignore gvwr. I start every conversation with an end user stating "no helper spring, airbag, overload, add a leaf, etc can increase your factory gvwr. Then they think I'm lying because someone on the internet says our products can do just that.

It took me a while to better understand the extended trailer hitch. Only after I took that second look, did I get a better visual of how far the slide in actually extends from the end of the truck bed. I did some very amateur line drawings to better see how bad this configuration really is.

slide in.jpg

It took me a while to better understand the extended trailer hitch. Only after I took that second look, did I get a better visual of how far the slide in actually extends from the end of the truck bed. I did some very amateur line drawings to better see how bad this configuration really is.

View attachment 141055

Consider a dolly for the Jeep or tow it 4 down ?

Consider a dolly for the Jeep or tow it 4 down ?
4wd,

I don't think he should be towing anything behind that extended slide in camper.

If he must keep that configuration and must tow a vehicle, needs to sell the jeep and buy a smart car or similar, tow behind, dolly, or aluminum trailer.

But I sense he purchased on wants, not on needs. That is his choice, but I suspect his choice is a safety to risk to him and others.

Back