Grease to use for angle grinders

I am trying to find out what grease is suitable for use in the gears for an angle grinder. You can purchase DeWalt, Makita ETC grease that's designed for hypoid gear cases but is there something more cost effective than spending $1/gram. I asked Amsoil if their polymeric grease would work, and they said none of their grease will.

I just did mine last week. I removed the gear housing and cleaned all the old grease out. The new grease I put in was Super Lube 21030.

It's a very lightweight grease. It smoothed out my grinder quite a bit. Be carful not to add too much because depending on how your grinder is configured, adding too much grease might block the airflow from the armature fan. I keep the grease in my refridgerator because of how lightweight it is. They got it at Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight

I use a DOTCO pneumatic 90º die-grinder and their supplied gear grease. The DOTCO part number is 45-0980 and costs about $8 a tube. Data on the grease simply states that it is a SAE 250 grade lubricant.

Several companies sell SAE 250 gear oils so it might be a starting point. I agree that the price of these tiny tubes of grease is ridiculous. The good part is that you don't generally go through very much of it over time.

The few times I opened the gear-case (not used often), I cleaned and applied Lucas Red-N-Tacky.

How many people actually open the case and perform PM ?
Not many .... but it's wise to do.

The few times I opened the gear-case (not used often), I cleaned and applied Lucas Red-N-Tacky.
That Red-N-Tacky will get slung off the gears and thrown to the inside walls of the gear housing where it will stay.

Meanwhile, you won't have any lubrication on the gears.

That Red-N-Tacky will get slung off the gears and thrown to the inside walls of the gear housing where it will stay.

Meanwhile, you won't have any lubrication on the gears.
Thanks for the info.
I will check into that.

I bought the grinder (Milwaukee) in 1987 and it does not get used much anymore.
But I must have been doing something right.

I just use a Lithium grease. I’ve been using it for years. Nothing has blown up yet. Just in Dewalt air tools which are nothing fancy.

Back