Grease / Anti-Seize - Replacing CV AXLE and would like to know best practice

So, is it actually inserting into the seal itself (because it seems like it would spread the seal too much?) or just acting as a guide to keep the shaft concentric to the seal?
Right, it goes in the seal, the part of the axle that rides on the seal is larger. I found this picture that shows what I am talking about. The axle on the right you can see the splines then the shaft then a raised area that the seal rides on.
images.jpg

Reactions: D60
I spent some time on another forum discussing this topic. Someone posted this video and it does make sense to me. Interesting.

Interesting. This is what @GMBoy said and was later shouted down by another poster as "not true"
Well that in itself is very interesting! I'm finding there is quite a division on this topic. Some say they would rather use anti-seize because of their past experiences with removing parts. Others have pointed to what was said in this video. I never knew this topic was so divisional. Hmmmm...

Well that in itself is very interesting! I'm finding there is quite a division on this topic. Some say they would rather use anti-seize because of their past experiences with removing parts. Others have pointed to what was said in this video. I never knew this topic was so divisional. Hmmmm...
Meh, while the vid does say they recommend using nothing, I'm inferring that light use of a lubricant or anti-seize is fine.

Sounds like an old adage....hmmm... oh yes: Everything in moderation :D

Meh, while the vid does say they recommend using nothing, I'm inferring that light use of a lubricant or anti-seize is fine.

Funny you wrote that! That was what I was conveying in another thread related to this question. I viewed a mechanic on YT that dusted a light spray of copper anti-seize onto the bearing. I thought that was a good idea.... Overall, I'm glad we are on the same page.

"except moderation" rest of the adage. LOL

Appreciate all you responses Gentlemen! Thank you. Good info! I would agree it makes sense to use some form of anti-seize.

Noting that, The splines really do not slide "In & out" in normal operation. I could see using grease if this were the case. From what I've learned, Anti-seize is a grease with metal powder added. (Not to serve as a lubrication element, but to keep parts separated.)

The copper comes as a spray or a paste. Nickel is expensive. Another consideration is that Copper is not supposed to be good for aluminum.

Thoughts???
Thoughts??? Yeah…

A mechanic with 50+ years of experience gave you a recommendation.

Why are you overthinking it?

When @Trav makes a recommendation, you would do well to simply follow his advice. Sure, nickel is expensive compared with other anti-seize products, but you buy a $20 can that will last you for decades (like mine has) and the cost is amortized over dozens of jobs.

Spending a couple pennies more on the best product for your job seems like a wise investment.

Thoughts??? Yeah…

A mechanic with 50+ years of experience gave you a recommendation.

Why are you overthinking it?

When @Trav makes a recommendation, you would do well to simply follow his advice. Sure, nickel is expensive compared with other anti-seize products, but you buy a $20 can that will last you for decades (like mine has) and the cost is amortized over dozens of jobs.

Spending a couple pennies more on the best product for your job seems like a wise investment.
You made a good point. (50+ years! Allrighty then!! I'm open to that experience!)

I'm not a penny-pincher, just want to do the best thing... which is why I'm here. So yes...advice taken! Thank you!

Back