Grain Weight?

I was going thru my closet this AM and came across some 9mm Hornady XTP bullets, loose, in an unmarked box. I think they're 124 gr., but am not sure. I don't have a scale to weigh them. What other way can I weigh them to tell what grain they are?

If you don't have a scale, that means you also don't have a balance, right? So you can neither weigh nor compare to something else, right?

If you don't have a scale, that means you also don't have a balance, right? So you can neither weigh nor compare to something else, right?
True.
XTP.jpeg

You came across loose cartridges or loose bullets? A bullet is what comes out of the barrel, your photo shows cartridges. Since you don't know the weight of the powder or case it's pretty hard to tell what the bullet weighs without other cartridges to compare against. Shoot them up and your worries are over.

Can't weight them without a scale. I am assuming you meant cartridges not bullets. Can't reload without a scale; whether electronic or a beam you need something. Any modern 9mm pistol will shoot decades old commercially produced cartridges irregardless of the weight. Depending on twist just may not be accurate.

Okay, sorry for the wrong nomenclature. :rolleyes:
I found an unmarked box of Hornady XTP 9mm (cartridges with bullets, gun powder, and primers" in them. Usually I call them bullets, rounds, ammo, etc. I didn't know we had to be so formal here.
I will just load 'em up and choot 'em. Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I was going thru my closet this AM and came across some 9mm Hornady XTP bullets, loose, in an unmarked box. I think they're 124 gr., but am not sure. I don't have a scale to weigh them. What other way can I weigh them to tell what grain they are?
Gotta extract the projectile and weigh them.

1 gram =15.4323584 grains

I found an unmarked box of Hornady XTP 9mm (cartridges with bullets, gun powder, and primers" in them. Usually I call them bullets, rounds, ammo, etc. I didn't know we had to be so formal here.

Yes Sir, load em in the mag and have at it!

If they are reloads and you don't know where they came from, I'd discard them and not chance damaging your gun with bullets that could potentially be overloaded.

If they are reloads and you don't know where they came from, I'd discard them and not chance damaging your gun with bullets that could potentially be overloaded.
My son told me last night that he bought a box of Hornady XTP "CARTRIDGES" :rolleyes: back in 2016 when he had borrowed my Speed Six revolver. He said the box got wet and he put the "CARTRIDGES" in an unmarked box. Some of the boxes were his that I had gone thru, so that must be them.
I'm going to choot 'em! AIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sorry, not to be pedantic but more than a few of us on here reload/handload ammunition.

To a reloader, "bullet" has a very specific meaning. When someone asks how to tell the weight of an unknown bullet, too, I know that I and many others will assume they're talking about component bullets. BTW, it's a legitimate question even for a beginning reloader because, even though I've never been without some sort of scale, it was a few years before I finally bought my "big boy" RCBS 502. A lot of the inexpensive reloading scales top out at 100gr, which is fine for a lot of reloading jobs but can't weigh most bullets you'll likely use.

When sorting components, it is possible to visually tell a bullet weight, or at least if you have "possible options." You'd better believe that if I'm cleaning out the recesses of my bench and find some .358 LSWCs, I can tell by sight if they're 125gr or 158gr. If you set a 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr XTP on the bench, you'd easily be able to tell what's what.

Of course, that all goes out the window when dealing with loaded cartridges, especially semi-autos where OAL is important(you can sometimes get away with longer than spec revolver cartridges-I've been known to load 168gr Keith bullets set further out in the case than the specs say you should if I was shooting them in an S&W Model 19).

Sorry, not to be pedantic but more than a few of us on here reload/handload ammunition.

To a reloader, "bullet" has a very specific meaning. When someone asks how to tell the weight of an unknown bullet, too, I know that I and many others will assume they're talking about component bullets. BTW, it's a legitimate question even for a beginning reloader because, even though I've never been without some sort of scale, it was a few years before I finally bought my "big boy" RCBS 502. A lot of the inexpensive reloading scales top out at 100gr, which is fine for a lot of reloading jobs but can't weigh most bullets you'll likely use.

When sorting components, it is possible to visually tell a bullet weight, or at least if you have "possible options." You'd better believe that if I'm cleaning out the recesses of my bench and find some .358 LSWCs, I can tell by sight if they're 125gr or 158gr. If you set a 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr XTP on the bench, you'd easily be able to tell what's what.

Of course, that all goes out the window when dealing with loaded cartridges, especially semi-autos where OAL is important(you can sometimes get away with longer than spec revolver cartridges-I've been known to load 168gr Keith bullets set further out in the case than the specs say you should if I was shooting them in an S&W Model 19).
The last time I used/owned a scale was in the 80's prior to going into the ARMY. I used it when I "burned the forest down."

Back