Gotta Raccoon In The Attic

Status
Not open for further replies.
677eb13970f319f15fc4fec0a7f7470c.jpg

First step is getting the raccoon out of the attic.

Funny you posted this, I just ordered a trap to get the squirrel(s) out of my attic. This is what I bought: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Raccoon-Squirrel-Skunk-Live-Animal-Traps-2-Pk/282387930228?epid=5009501086&hash=item41bfa1dc74:g:sTIAAOSwk1haAcbB

Step two is sealing out any openings where the thing can get in. My house's roof is shot, I'm guessing yours is too?

I had a possum under my house. I bought a live trap at the local Tractor Supply and a can of cat food. Caught him that night and relocated him. Trap was cheap and worked great.

Yes, they can be vicious and known to kill dogs and cats. They will eat your wiring and very intrusive animals. You can buy a trap or call your local animal shelter, etc.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I owned a 75 pound black Labrador retriever. Absolutely fearless. Encountered three 100 pound rottweillers being walked through the woods making a bit of noised in the dark once and charged to take them all on. I had to call her back before she got killed. Saw a coyote one time in the woods, charged and fought it to a draw.

But the one and only one time she was ever scared was when she charged a raccoon who took offense and took off back at her. She high-tailed it back to me screaming for some help which I gave by swinging my size 16 construction boot at the raccoon who wisely backed off.

Raccoons are as nasty as they get. Do not try to take it on mano to mano.

They are nocturnal....so make it daylight in the attic....get some spot lights or lamps and shine in there during the day.....had the same problem in my house but it was a skunk....he moved out the next day and the I sealed up the spots he was getting into.

I wouldn't try to DIY. I had a raccoon get into my attic through a deteriorating cupola vent, quite a shock when I stuck my head up in the attic and it popped its head up from behind a box. I called a pro and he came and looked through the attic. He didn't find it, and said they are nomadic; must have stopped in my attic temporarily, got spooked when it saw me, and moved on. He put some heavy duty wire screen under the attic vent, and the HOA eventually replaced the cupola. Fortunately, it didn't breed in my attic and only shredded a cardboard box.

Call the pro soon before it really wrecks your attic or you have little baby raccoons in addition to mama raccoon.

Originally Posted By: dbias
Catch it out and seal up where it is getting in. I had a squirrel get in my attic years ago and while I was on vacation for 2 weeks it chewed down through the drywall ceiling and destroyed my house. Pulled up into the driveway and saw all curtains and miniblinds half hanging in every window and initially thought I'd been robbed. He ran out after I opened the garage door. Spent two weeks in a hotel while insurance put the house back together. 4 straight weeks in a hotel was rough.
Somehow the little bugger made his paws bloody trying to dig his way out through multiple walls, there were bloody paw prints everywhere, even on the ceilings

Wow...sounds like a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back