Google Home - Loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If Google Home was secretly listening in, wouldn't some outfit figure it out and make a huge deal out of it (rightfully so). Either that or it would be leaked. I don't think Google was take that risk.

Example: remember the backlash and confusion about Microsoft's personal privacy settings when W10 first rolled out?

they already have been caught. There is so much info out there on this stuff. It says right in the user agreements they will collect everything it can hear.

They have been caught listening through your phone via apps that get triggered from specific sounds in commercials, too. You'd be amazed at how much people are just giving their privacy away with no idea. Criminals are buying this info on the black market to know when you aren't home and where you store all your valuables.

27.gif
They are reading my thoughts...
45.gif

Those of you with Google Home, do you find the sound lacking clarity? It just sounds muffled to me. I went into the EQ and maxed out the treble, and it still sounds bad - lacking high frequencies.

The Home Mini, despite being much smaller, has much better clarity (more treble) than Home.

The Google Home is better than the Mini and their Top of the line one is outstanding although I wouldn't spend the money for myself. That said I have taken apart a Mini and soldered in a Headphone Cable Connector and have it hooked up to my surround sound input so I can blast the streamed music through that.
grin2.gif
(I know I'm nuts)

Oh and you can modify the Base and Treble on the Home via the GH-App.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
The Google Home is better than the Mini
The Home is primarily better when it comes to bass reproduction and overall volume, but my question was about treble specifically. My Mini has better treble than my Home.

Oh and you can modify the Base and Treble on the Home via the GH-App.
Yes, as I mentioned, I already went into the EQ settings and maxed out the treble, and I still find the clarity lacking, hence my question.

Sorry I missed it. I know you can say "Ok Google, Feedback" and she will ask you what needs fixing. I have reported bugs and things I didn't like and they seem to be fixing some of them in the later updates. Give that a try maybe and see if they come out with better settings?

Failing that try the top of the line GH at Bestbuy. Sounds great to me and it offers better sound than the Mini/Regular.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Yeah, I was just asking you if in your experience your Google Home sounds a bit muffled.

Sounds ok to me. I typically ask her to stream Energy 98 on Tune-In. Maybe give that a listen and see if that sounds muffled just as a comparison?

Originally Posted by StevieC
I typically ask her to stream Energy 98 on Tune-In. Maybe give that a listen and see if that sounds muffled just as a comparison?
Thanks. I did. To put things in perspective, when playing Energy 98, if I put a blanket over my Home Mini, it sounds about the same as my Home without the blanket over it.
smile.gif

Without a blanket, the Mini has clearer top end (treble), but obviously less bass.

Maybe a defective unit? I know with my regular GH if I turn the Treble up a little bit and the Bass down a bit it will sound just like the Mini. Both are nice and clear on Energy 98 as it is with my Laptop I play it on when I'm in my office.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I work in customers homes on a daily basis and people who have it and also the Amazon Echo love them.
Just started with linking in the security systems with Echo.

There will always be naysayers and privacy concerns but I suspect it will do quite well judging by the limited input from customers lately. It is a bit more of a step up from the days of email so I suspect not everyone will have one but as time goes on most.

AS far as the privacy thing, I think its valid for me personally but the general public doesnt care (at least not yet) as they gave up their privacy when gmail became so popular, since it was ad free in exchange for having your email electronically scanned and information from those emails sold to the highest bidder as just about every "free" internet service does now, even the ones with ads, though they dont scan your emails yet, your cookies provide what you are doing and when.

What I just typed is not being negative, I am confirming your positive review, it will become quite popular.

I am addressing the naysayers and I dont disagree with them about privacy but dont be a naysayer if you are accepting free email accounts or anything free on line.
Maybe better said, researching and learning to limit the exposure of your private information all over the internet, then you earn a degree to be a naysayer.
Im getting there but not there yet, I have opened up some pay email accounts and recently a VPN, most of this because all the data breaches and drives me nuts that all these companies are making money off our information that we trade for free services but they make WAY more then we get in return.

In reality our private information including every single movement we make is tracked one way or another and the cell phone is the biggest offender of all, as the price for those "free" apps is another trade for your privacy.

Anyway, great feedback on the device, I bet it will be a big holiday item this year, who knows, I will not discount having one myself.

I have two Echo Dots and two of the taller units (Echo). We love them. Not concerned about privacy. I carry around a "live" cell phone. My car has a "black box" the police can access if I have an accident. OH-It also has OnStar tracking my very boring life.......:)

Yes, all a personal choice, giving up your privacy for free stuff is a choice.
As long as its an educated decision and I can tell you and almost bet 95% of the USA population has no clue how extensive it is.
But we are free people and its their own fault if they dont educate themselves.

Not for me and I do everything to prevent it, and I dont make excuses for the few devices that may sell my information, I just look to stop it.
I dont like companies making boat loads of money off the information of me and my family. It blows my mind that people dont care .... but, we are free to make our own decisions so I have no problem what so ever with others who do not agree.

It does bother me a little, the influence of this massive power being used and controlling how people act, pretty scary stuff. Europe is full speed ahead of the USA in trying to stop it ... :eek:)
The power and control of google and amazon over our elected officials in this country is scary.

Example, head of Amazon (I call him BOZO) owns the Washington Post, now why in all the USA did one of the most powerful and richest person in the world buy the most famous newspaper in the USA?
IN our nations capital no less.

people .... like hello?, let the man buy you more free stuff ... ... hmmmm ... I dont see why this doesnt bother people ... but oh well ... :eek:)

Last edited:
I don't think I'd be in a rush for any of these devices, either. Heck, I've had connectivity as long as it existed - to bulletin boards long before the net. But, if something doesn't give me a tangible benefit to being connected plus control, I'm not very interested. Even leaving the corporations involved aside, the security concerns of such devices are appalling.

I have my PFSense router setup sniffing what information it's sending and so far it's diagnostic data occasionally and then all the requests I put through. They do have privacy/mute buttons and I've tested to see if it's broadcasting anything on mute and it isn't. (The regular one is a soft button and the mini is a hard button and yes I know that means nothing to folks at the NSA LOL)

Further I use it mainly to stream music and it's in a non-sensitive area and can be simply unplugged for privacy. I don't see a problem with it given all this.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you like it. My friends have it and love it as well.

The privacy argument, although valid, is a bit futile. If a malicious external entity, whether a hacker or 'big brother', wants to find information on you, they can and will. Their resources are far greater and wider reaching. I hope those that are seriously concerned have never had a credit card, had an internet connection, a phone or any kind of paper trails.

One thing to mine data to help others sell products … quite another to manipulate mushy minds into your way of thinking when they don't even understand it's happening …
(and expect me to pay for it) …

Originally Posted by 4WD
One thing to mine data to help others sell products … quite another to manipulate mushy minds into your way of thinking when they don't even understand it's happening …

Can you give an example of manipulating mushy minds?

Edit: just so I'm on the same page as to what you're referencing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

OMG - How well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back