Good Disposable Rubber gloves

Weird post and Not sure if this is the correct sub forum. Gloves are tools in my opinion. Does anyone have a good recommendation for disposable nitrile gloves?

I bought a 50 pack of ones that were excellent from Walmart a while ago, I was able to do suspension work and only had one thumb split at the very end of the job.

Unfortunately I lost the packaging and forgot the name brand. The last ones I got from Walmart were absolutely terrible, they sheared to bits when I was pulling an oil filter. I use these primarily when doing work on free hub pawls and other pinchy/greasy stuff so tear resistance is a priority.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

The basic nitrile exam gloves are too thin. I was very happy with the Gloveworks orange gloves I got on Amazon in the past but when I wanted to order them last year all the gloves were "on reserve" for medical personnel and first responders. I ended up buying some no-name gloves on eBay that have been great. They are 8 mil thick and are extra long so they go further up my wrists. 8-9 mil is a good weight for this kind of use. When I have tried the ones available in stores they end up ripping way too much.

I've got a box of Venom Steel gloves and I can't say I'm all that impressed. They are a little thicker than most but they are not very resistant to tears. They are not as durable as they make themselves out to be.

Another recommendation for the Gloveworks HD Orange, although I may check ebay for the above mentioned no-name gloves.
I checked my eBay purchase history and see a brand name of "SunnyCare" on the gloves I bought. They are made in Malaysia. The seller doesn't appear to have the same ones available anymore. The thickest they appear to have are 6 mil. I'm not sure that's adequate for mechanic use.

Harbor Freight 7mil and 9mil are very strong. Also if you aren’t allergic to latex the Diamond Grip Microflex are very strong actually I’ve used them many times as they were provided at my previous job. Stay away from the Global Glove at Northern Tool though they are pretty thin only good for things like oil changes really. Also the Grease Monkey nitrile are great gloves too.

grease monkey at walmart, around 7 bucks for 50. Found them after harbor freight jacked their prices up.
Yeah they have gone WAY up... have one about 10 mins away and went there for nitrile gloves a few times yearly. A box of 100 was always in the $7-8 range. Now those same gloves are $16-17 the last time I checked. They said once the supply/demand/shortage calms down their prices will reduce.

I keep both cheap vinyl and better nitrile ones around; have not gotten to using the black ones that are much thicker. I've found that I often need to take gloves off for whatever reason and wind up going to a pile of gloves on any given job. Vinyl might last a couple minutes on an oil change but I don't need them to last longer than that; they can be nice when painting or the like. Nitrile last longer of course.

Thicker mechanics gloves are nice to wear for jobs that aren't too greasy. I find they can help prevent scrapes and cuts.

I was reluctant to reply, because you need a membership to get them (I think, unless they still do free day passes), but sams club nitrile gloves aren't bad. I've tried a lot of gloves over the years, and they're a good middle of the road glove in terms of thickness and durability. The price has doubled from around $18 for 400 gloves to $38 for 400 gloves, but the price for all gloves has doubled or tripled. At about $9.50 for 100, they're a pretty good deal these days. If you're the kinda guy that likes to wear the same gloves all day long, you probably won't like them though, better off with a 7 mil or 9 mil glove in those situations. Sams nitrile seem to be about 4mil.

Ive bought the HF ones with coupon. Rarely can I take one off and reuse it, except for the most benign of jobs. They will split.

I got some heavier green ones someplace, pre-pandemic, and they don’t split as easily, but they will still split. Biggest benefit is that I can tend to use them more than once if they dry out inside. I’m not really sure they’re worth it in the long run.

I then bought some semi-disposable, mesh back, rubber coated gloves, which work pretty well.

My biggest issue is doing stuff, having some need to take gloves off, getting dirty, then it’s all for naught.

grease monkey at walmart, around 7 bucks for 50. Found them after harbor freight jacked their prices up.
Ended up using these, I think they’re the ones I used ages ago that kicked ass. Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I still occasionally run into the issue of wearing the gloves the whole job and accidentally grabbing a greasy grease gun after I take them off 😫.

I have used "Semperguard Nitrile Xpert powder-free" for donkeys years.

Much better than latex ones specially in a garage environment (oil, chemicals etc), and very good feel. Much much longer lasting

Back