Going to pikes peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also while you're in the area, visit the Garden of the Gods. It's well worth the time- you can easily spend several hours there. I recommend hiking around the perimeter on the trails too.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Also while you're in the area, visit the Garden of the Gods. It's well worth the time- you can easily spend several hours there. I recommend hiking around the perimeter on the trails too.

+1. The rock formations there are amazing.

This pikes peak thing sounds pretty serious. I would say I'm in the worst shape of my life but am probably close to an average American so I'll probably be gasping for air. Hahaha I hope the elevation doesn't make me sick.

I do recommend you drive up early in the day so you can be off the mountain before the summer thunderstorms begin to form in the mid afternoon.

Sunglasses, its bright up there!

About 20 years ago I took my mother and uncle up to the top when they were visiting from IA. I was winging it without a map looking for the cog railway and ended up at the entrance to drive up. I was driving a n/a Mitsubishi Eclipe with the 5MT and had no trouble. In hindsight, I enjoyed the ability to stop along the way and enjoy the day and am glad we didn't find the cog railway entrance.

Good advice above, especially about getting acclimated before you go up and drink plenty of water. Drink plenty of water even while in town as well, you'll need it. For some, even when prepared, the elevation at the top will get to you after a while and you may not feel well.

If possible, try to leave early and on a clear day since the view from the top is amazing. It was partly sunny when we went and didn't get the view I would have liked.

There are lots of cool things to do while in town that have been mentioned, most of which are advertised well. One cool thing that's less advertised is the tour at Glen Eyrie Castle and then go hike the trail on the site. Eventually it splits and the lower trail is easy and ends at a waterfall. They call it a castle but it's not what I thought of a traditional castle but enjoyable nontheless. You have to call ahead for reservations and can have tea and snacks if that's your thing too.

Enjoy!!

Originally Posted By: ram_man
This pikes peak thing sounds pretty serious. I would say I'm in the worst shape of my life but am probably close to an average American so I'll probably be gasping for air. Hahaha I hope the elevation doesn't make me sick.

You'll be fine. Be well hydrated and breathe more deeply and slow down your activity if you start feeling poorly. There's jjust less air at the top and you will need to adjust; just be mindful.

And your 1st gear is only good for 10mph...What rpm are we talking here?

Originally Posted By: El_Vato
I do recommend you drive up early in the day so you can be off the mountain before the summer thunderstorms begin to form in the mid afternoon.

Sunglasses, its bright up there!

Good point; earlier is definitely better in the summer.

Is it so steep that 1st gear is really used? First gear in my car is like 10 mph lol

19 miles almost completely downhill. Here's the elevation profile from a bicycling website:

pikes.png

You will absolutely need to stay in first gear going downhill to avoid toasting your brakes. I've seen a car that had vapor lock and it wasn't pretty. The driver tried putting it in 2nd (the lowest available on its 4 speed automatic) and even pulled on the parking brake to try to slow it down. If that happened on Pikes Peak I think that driver might have been able to recover enough for the brake fluid to cool off and condense back to liquid, but it would be far better to be able to select first gear.

On any kind of steep continuous downhill you never want to use your brakes except to tap them or come to a complete stop. In another gear you might need to ride your brakes, which could mean the fluid boils over and it locks up. And yeah you're going to need to go less than 10 MPH during the steepest sections. You might be able to use second on some of the less steep sections.

I lived in Denver and environs for 4 years, but never got to drive up there. Sounds amazing.

Somewhere around there at the base of PP is Santa's Workshop, "North Pole, Colorado" (http://northpolecolorado.com/). I've been there in early December, and it was neat. It's open every day in July, and almost every day in August, the website says. Then they're closed from January to May.

Also in CO Springs is the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, which is built on the shoulder of Cheyenne Mountain. Worth a trip.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Beautiful area out there. If you haven't been at elevation before, I would not do it the first day there. Give your body a day or two to acclimate before going up.

Elevation sickness is a real thing. We just got back from a tour out that way. We only got up to 12k feet near Rocky Mnt National Park. That was after just getting off the plane in Denver and the lady who was in the worst shape in our group did not feel well. It wasn't a pleasant experience for her or those of us travelling with her.

If you can, take a day or so before you go up to your highest elevation.

And as others have said, drink lots of water. Higher elevations cause your body to remove fluids. So you will dehydrate compared to what you are accustomed to.

The highest point in MO is still a good 12k feet LOWER than Pikes Peak at around 1700 feet, so you will notice being winded more easily. Probably moreso if you are not in good shape.

I know I get winded hiking and biking up that way doing things that don't bother me at the 600-700 ft elevations of the St Louis metro area.

If you mean this weekend, I’m in Denver now and it has rained substantially for several days and is predicted to rain this weekend, though they have been wrong an awful lot lately.

I was up pikes peak a number of years ago and wasn’t that impressed, I certainly would not pay 50 bucks to do it. I’d go to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park instead. The garden of the gods is good too.

I did not see it mentioned but they will check your brakes with an infrared pyrometer at the ranger station half way down, if they are too hot (over 300 degrees IIRC) plan on at least 30 minutes wait.

You’ve been given good advice about staying hydrated and elevation sickness, it affects different people differently. I’ve seen people get sick by Estes park (about 8000 feet), while others are fine at the peak or on trail ridge road both of which are significantly higher.

Also plan for it to be significantly colder at elevation than it is when you head up. If it is in the 80’s in the springs it could be in the 40’s at the peak or at the national park.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If you mean this weekend, I’m in Denver now and it has rained substantially for several days and is predicted to rain this weekend, though they have been wrong an awful lot lately.

They do miss it quite a bit but it's difficult to predict weather here. The altitude, location relative to the jet stream, and the mountains, all contribute to changing what they thought was coming. They say if you don't like the weather here, just wait half an hour, it'll change. A gross generality but you get the idea, which means prepare for it by keeping extra clothing in the car. When driving up in the mountains it will definitely be cooler and especially to a peak it will be much cooler. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Originally Posted By: TMoto

They do miss it quite a bit but it's difficult to predict weather here. The altitude, location relative to the jet stream, and the mountains, all contribute to changing what they thought was coming. They say if you don't like the weather here, just wait half an hour, it'll change. A gross generality but you get the idea, which means prepare for it by keeping extra clothing in the car. When driving up in the mountains it will definitely be cooler and especially to a peak it will be much cooler. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Altitude is certainly a factor that many don't account for. I was on vacation in Maui where we headed for Haleakala. Even at 7000 ft elevation is was starting to get a bit cold. At the 10,000 ft summit it was maybe 50ºF. We saw tour buses unloading customers who were wearing tank tops and shorts.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Altitude is certainly a factor that many don't account for. I was on vacation in Maui where we headed for Haleakala. Even at 7000 ft elevation is was starting to get a bit cold. At the 10,000 ft summit it was maybe 50ºF. We saw tour buses unloading customers who were wearing tank tops and shorts.

Yep,

We took "First Day of Summer" Photos at elevation near Yellowstone. We had snow in the background
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Yep,

We took "First Day of Summer" Photos at elevation near Yellowstone. We had snow in the background
smile.gif

Nobody expects to need a warm jacket when vacationing in Hawaii.

I've certainly seen that in Yellowstone. It was early June and I decided to attempt to hike up a certain peak. I gave up about a half mile from my goal when I came across snow and I couldn't figure out the route. And yes I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts. It wasn't actually that cold though. I asked later and was told that it had snowed the week before.

Even at elevation it can be warm. On that trip we stayed a night in Brian Head, Utah at about 10,000 ft. It was actually pretty warm unlike Haleakala.

At least at the Sandia Mountain Tramway in Albuquerque, the signs warn you that it could be quite a bit cooler up at 10K feet (ABQ is at 5000' to start with), and to bring a jacket or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back