GM killing it in China

I've played around with buying a container of the gas-powered Wuling mini mini vans and trucks on my last trip to China. They are some of the best quality out there and you can buy them used for $1000-$1500 each all day long. Well, at least they were 2 years ago.

I've played around with buying a container of the gas-powered Wuling mini mini vans and trucks on my last trip to China. They are some of the best quality out there and you can buy them used for $1000-$1500 each all day long. Well, at least they were 2 years ago.
For use where?

For me, just hauling junk around on the property I own. A true beater. Unfortunately, container rates have killed the possibility of buying them cheap.

Lots of buyers for them though here in the states.

That Wuling mini mini car has a street cred of VW Beetles back in the days. It is affordable, simple, durable enough for rural farm use, and something you don't feel bad scraping and dinging everywhere you go.

Not the nicest ride, slightly safer than a scooter, not going to get you laid, but something that helps many out of poverty, so they can haul things around and do real work for an everyone can afford price.

I think I posted a thread here previously that before the pandemic this mini mini EV only cost $3500 USD new.

drive like merican, no. We like the Japanese commuters. Reminds me of the ol daze w/4WD. Some
imports (Jap. europe) were very tough but not versitile like a blazer, scout of bronk (hwy AND off rd).
For every APPLICATION there is an answr. Choose ye well (correct ride 4 ur app). No ego based or
spontanious buys.

It makes sense. China is the worlds largest automobile market. If you are not participating then you are missing out.

Let's see if GM will ever be "killing it" here in the US with their EV's.

A journalist compared the recent film footage of GM's newest EV assembly line with the drone footage of Tesla's Gigafactory in Austin.
He said GM's factory looked state of the art. For the 1980's that is.

Let's see if GM will ever be "killing it" here in the US with their EV's.

A journalist compared the recent film footage of GM's newest EV assembly line with the drone footage of Tesla's Gigafactory in Austin.
He said GM's factory looked state of the art. For the 1980's that is.

It should be emphasized that GM is just half the equation here. SAIC is the other half.

Would GM have this same success if it were them alone? Not likely in my opinion.

GM is still stuck in the old mentality of bigger and bigger. They had that same mentality 50 years ago as well.

Wow! It's unbelievable that someone can/would make a car for such a low price.

I think it's cool that they are making a car that is affordable for the masses.
Yeah, what drives car prices so high in the USA is availability of credit.
People used to go by the price of a vehicle they were going to buy in the USA and many cases pay cash for vehicles but smart marketing has turned the US consumer to what the monthly payment will be and they load up the car with options and max profits for the car manufacturers and dealers.

USA Cars are packed with options, anything sent here is max profit vehicles, USA car exporters sell more "stripped down" models overseas where credit not as easily available.
We as a nation are fat on everything, including credit.

People used to go by the price of a vehicle they were going to buy in the USA and many cases pay cash for vehicles but smart marketing has turned the US consumer to what the monthly payment will be and they load up the car with options and max profits for the car manufacturers and dealers.

USA Cars are packed with options, anything sent here is max profit vehicles, USA car exporters sell more "stripped down" models overseas where credit not as easily available.
When I was a young man, I sold cars at a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealership. Most car loans were written for 36 months. Our credit manager considered customers who wanted 42 or 48 month loans, to be making a high risk decision. Now, 72 and 84 month loans are common place. Anything to keep up with the neighbors, and expected social standing.

Credit is a funny thing, but ultimately it is a tool. It allows one to gain an asset using someone else's money.
Like any tool, use it correctly and you will get the job done. Use it recklessly and you will hit your thumb with that hammer.

Last edited:
Back