GM and Honda Start U.S. Production of Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Exactly. Steam-methane reformation is currently the dominant source of hydrogen production, it's something like 98% IIRC?

Do you have any idea of what the production level is of the electrolyzer you are installing? We could use that to determine how much electricity would be needed to generate the necessary amount of hydrogen to replace gasoline used daily.
Tried to PM you, but could not.

Perfect driving record?

They sound scarier than they are. They are built incredibly strong out of layers of thick aluminum, SS and steel. They're basically a vacuum insulated thermos bottle and the LH2 runs around ~10psig in the inner container when the trailer is in motion. They're in use for so many millions of miles that accidents happen. I've seen them after countless collisions, after an end over end roll, axles knocked off, dog house broken open. We have a team that will offload them at the scene if needed.

These trailers have been on the roads since the 1960s.
Very informative.

Do you know how much energy is input vs energy you get from the hydrogen output?

FWIW - EV's powered by coal fired plants aren't very green either, if anyone was honest.

Reactions: JTK
Very informative.

Do you know how much energy is input vs energy you get from the hydrogen output?

FWIW - EV's powered by coal fired plants aren't very green either, if anyone was honest.

Even with the current Oz mix of renewables, the average emissions per KwH are 700g per KWh...my coal plant is 914g/Kwh....so a Tesla versus my Diesel DMAx takes about 70,000 to break even on carbon cost of production and fuel use.

If the Tesla "fills up" after the owner gets home from a hard day at work (hint solar is over), they are "filling up" with coal.

Even with the current Oz mix of renewables, the average emissions per KwH are 700g per KWh...my coal plant is 914g/Kwh....so a Tesla versus my Diesel DMAx takes about 70,000 to break even on carbon cost of production and fuel use.

If the Tesla "fills up" after the owner gets home from a hard day at work (hint solar is over), they are "filling up" with coal.
I think with the appropriate pricing EV would be charged at the cheapest price, and it is the grid's responsibility to align demand and supply to make it efficient, hence EV "may" help to absorb the surplus.

I still think we should prioritize plug in hybrid over full EV. The heat storm would destroy any flexibility with no second sources.

Good Lord no
IMG_4955.jpeg
Hydrogen powered cars makes less sense than compressed air, might as well try sleeping in a pool bed with running water

Gasifying burner I.made a while ago...intent was to make biochar to put in the garden...that's carbon sequestration for nearly ever.

Google terra preta...ancient people made perpetual soils by burying biochar.

Since the OP is about Honda and GM producing fuel cells this is one reason why, its not about the automobile in your driveway.
BTW- this is just one company out of dozens or hundreds (thousands?) more around the world, safe to say with companies like Amazon and Walmart headlining it. That in itself creates the creditability.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.35.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.40.17 AM.png

Last edited:

Tesla be rollin’ dat coal ! 😷

Exactly. Steam-methane reformation is currently the dominant source of hydrogen production, it's something like 98% IIRC?

Do you have any idea of what the production level is of the electrolyzer you are installing? We could use that to determine how much electricity would be needed to generate the necessary amount of hydrogen to replace gasoline used daily.
It electricity requirements for replacing gasoline with hydrogen are around 3 or 4 times worse than replacing gasoline with battery power.
So even if you ignore the cost of the machine and "you could make hydrogen at home" it's going to be as expensive as gasoline.
I would bet these home hydrogen filling stations would fair as well as the home natural gas that came out around 2006 or 2008 it was called the "phill", they they lasted like 1 to 2 years before they all broke and the company went bankrupt.
Once I figured that if every passenger vehicle miracled it's self into an electric over night it would increase power consumption about 20%.
All I did was I took the total number of miles driven by passenger vehicles in the US and just assumed 3 miles per kwh.

Since the OP is about Honda and GM producing fuel cells this is one reason why, its not about the automobile in your driveway.
BTW- this is just one company out of dozens or hundreds (thousands?) more around the world, safe to say with companies like Amazon and Walmart headlining it. That in itself creates the creditability.

View attachment 200856

View attachment 200857
A hydrogen powered forklift is just a more expensive battery powered forklift that uses several times more energy.

A hydrogen powered forklift is just a more expensive battery powered forklift that uses several times more energy.
and yet Amazon, Walmart and dozens of other companies (including Target maybe Best Buy) figured out how it saves them money. It's why they rule the retail world.

Maybe the answer is in here but it doesnt interest me acsomega.1c07344

FYI, I agree with you that they are more expensive. But Amazon and Walmart and others know more than me, such as recharging down times etc.

Last edited:
The water consumption issue isn't shown in the lovely green hydrogen drawing. We all know how available water is everywhere. It's a load of greenwashing going on.

1706713048813.jpg

and yet Amazon, Walmart and dozens of other companies (including Target maybe Best Buy) figured out how it saves them money. It's why they rule the retail world.

Maybe the answer is in here but it doesnt interest me acsomega.1c07344

FYI, I agree with you that they are more expensive. But Amazon and Walmart and others know more than me, such as recharging down times etc.
There's no way it's going to save them money over a standard battery powered forklift.
Forklift batteries are easily swapped so recharge time is as fast as you can swap a battery.

The water consumption issue isn't shown in the lovely green hydrogen drawing. We all know how available water is everywhere. It's a load of greenwashing going on.

View attachment 200991
71% of the planet is surface water and water vapor from fuel cells returns to earth as ________ (yup)

What returns to earth in burnt out lithium batteries?
Answer = Toxic _____ (yup)

Summary, from damage to earth from lithium mining, to toxic waste along the whole chain to the day of dead batteries
or
Fuel cells and h2 production released as water vapor down the line.

No pun intended so who is washing who?

Oh! By the way!

No free ride either way but I rather water turned to water vapor then returned as toxic waste from lithium mining and burnt out lithium batteries. However if you read the OP this is not about H2 cars.

Last edited:

View attachment 200991
This is maybe the only benefit of hydrogen in areas with sea water but no drinking water.

It is easier to electrolyze sea water than fresh and you can then extract minerals. If you are stuck desalinating anyway it makes the process less lossy

The assumably local vehicles could then be used as a source of drinking water (if they let the vapor condense in a radiator instead of emitting out a tailpipe)

Other than that green hydrogen is anything but due to the immense waste.

This is maybe the only benefit of hydrogen in areas with sea water but no drinking water.

It is easier to electrolyze sea water than fresh and you can then extract minerals. If you are stuck desalinating anyway it makes the process less lossy

The assumably local vehicles could then be used as a source of drinking water (if they let the vapor condense in a radiator instead of emitting out a tailpipe)

Other than that green hydrogen is anything but due to the immense waste.
Yeah electrolysis is supposedly up to 80% efficient but air burning fuel cells are only around 35% efficient. Then it takes huge amounts of energy to turn it into liquid hydrogen for transport which is just wasted.
Hydrogen is nothing but huge energy input then waste, waste waste.

Back