Glock 40 caliber, should I keep?

I purchased a 40 caliber Glock
30 years ago when 40 caliber was the new “it” cartridge. Now the ammunition is expensive and getting harder to find especially compared to the price and availability of 9MM. Been thinking about trading it or sell. If it was yours, would you keep or sell/trade for a 9mm?

If its just a range gun and not your primary self defense choice you should sell or trade it for a 9mm. The savings in ammo alone will cover the loss you will take on the .40. The .40 if you can shoot it accurately is still a better stopper but it does take a bit more practice at recovery and follow up. The big issue is going to be you may be surprised with how little you can get with all the surplus PD guns and private owners in your same situation.

It is a range gun and my primary self-defense gun. I still like shooting it but feel I could be just as well served with a 9MM and save a heck of a lot on ammo! Unless 40 caliber makes a comeback in popularity

There is nothing wrong with the .40 s&w. It is a viable cartridge, and still in wide spread use. During the plandemic, .40 s&w was in fact much cheaper than 9mm....9mm was close to 1$ per round, while .40 stayed at about .38$ per round. It has plenty of power, and as compared to 45ACP, magazine capacity is good.

If the gun is, and has been reliable, and you have no issues with controlling the gun and being accurate enough at combat/defensive ranges of 25yards to danger close, I see no reason to change calibers. You will not be gaining much

With that being said. I find that the 9mm platform, is most suitable for the lion's share of people, in regards to ammunition capacity, power, and recoil.

In the past 30 years, many gun manufacturers have made polymer striker fired 9mm pistols, that are in many ways "better" than the Glock. For you, that should also be a consideration. Does the gun fit well, do you really like it? And so on.

I would suggest selling the gun to someone you know, should you decide to sell it, as you will get more money than a dealer would give of course.

One very good pistol in 9mm that is very "cheap" is the XD9 Service model, can be had for under $400 bucks these days, the price mostly being because of SA's unpopular connection with an anti gun law in IL about 8 years ago.........but the gun is solid.

another would be the XD, and maybe the Echelon, but I do not have one of those, @Astro14 has a good write up in his new gat.

That all I got, good luck.....and should you want to donate your 40, Ill pay shipping no problem.

It’s not much more than 9 and was readily available during the last big ammo run far longer than 9. Just keep it and get a 9mm if you really want one.

I have three guns that shoot .40. Well 5, if you count swapping barrels. One is a carbine.

I hardly shoot .40SW.

Was thinking the same.............my next door neighbor stopped shooting .40SW and brought me 2000 rounds, just yesterday! No charge.
I wish I had a neighbor like that!

get a conversion barrel from aim surplus. you may even be able to use your 40 mags with 9mm.

Ehh, maybe, but you'll be better off just buying some 9mm mags. I never bothered to even try to shoot a 9mm from the .40 mag, just too loose and the rounds didn't sit right. I shoot 9mm from my G22 and G27 and just have separate mags.

Back