Glass Installation

The rear sliding backlite on my truck was replaced under warranty due to a cracked frame (and the resulting water leak). This is a known issue on the 19-20 Ram 1500’s.

The dealer sublet the work to a local one-man glass company.

I am not too familiar with glass installation, but I believe that normal practice is for the old urethane to be ”mostly scraped away” and new urethane gets applied over the remaining residue.

After the install, I see black primer around the perimeter of the glass. Is this because the urethane was fully removed and primer was required?

Did the installer do an extra good job by removing all of the old urethane or did something unexpected happen?

8A1B4109-8205-4FAC-9C96-CDE585688DCE.jpeg

C07840ED-6CB6-4645-9C35-DC6E2EF99A68.jpeg

Type of window:
2D8D6B89-8DEC-47BB-B779-06A133239286.jpeg

I never noticed that at our dealer with our one man show glass guy.

Now that I’m elsewhere and we use a cheaper nation wide company, all of our glass work looks sloppy like that.

I dont think that’s an “extra good job” as much as I’d think it’s just a sloppy job.

Looks like he put plenty on is all. It's done by hand and not by a machine like at the factory.
I guess I'm wondering why that much primer was needed. If a small amount of the old urethane was left on the surface, wouldn't primer be unnecessary?

I guess I'm wondering why that much primer was needed. If a small amount of the old urethane was left on the surface, wouldn't primer be unnecessary?
Well silicone won't stick well to old silicone. Maybe the glass sealer is the same. If it's a small shop he don't want comebacks so he puts a little more on there.

All those type of windshields have (from the manufacture) the black border around the edge. Because the urethane is sensitive to the sunlight, that is there to protect it.

Keep any silicone off the body of a car or truck. Worse stuff to use for leaks.

Service information states to leave 1 mm of the original urethane but that you are supposed to apply pinch weld primer on the fence.
Interesting.

1674630912602.png

I don't recall the factory window having this much primer, but I guess things are different in the field once the original seal is disturbed.

Back