Giving CC number to oil sales rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have posted about Schaeffer oil or Amsoil on other section before. I have decided go try Schaeffer oil and found sales rep around me thru their website.

Individual sale person was great but only way to buy Schaeffer oil is give him/her CC number or send a check to sale person and pick up from warehouse next day. Im assume i cant make any payment at warehouse.

How do you feel about giving out your credit card information thru phone or text? Its not 1-800 number or office. Sales person was great, but i just like to make sure my information is secured.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is anything 100% safe? No.
Do I think a Schaeffer's sales rep is going to sell your info on the dark web? Doubt it. He wouldn't be in business long.
But if really worried, buy a prepaid MasterCard at a WM or 7-11 and give him that number.

Last edited:
Does your card offer a virtual account number (i.e. a one-time use number with security code)? That is what I usually use for online purchases.

Pre-paid card is good idea. Ive never thought about it.

Newton,
Ive never ask bank about one time use number.

I have one card I use for online purchases or over the phone stuff and then the other I use for all my pre-authorized stuff so if the online/phone one gets compromised I don't have to move everything to another card.

We also have 0 card holder liability here. Not sure if it's the same for you but thought it was worth mentioning if that is what is influencing your decision to be cautious.

I have had a credit card for 20 years and I think it has been compromised three times and it was at physical stores where I used the card and not over the phone / internet.

Last edited:
I'm very paranoid about (financial) security.
But if this is the way Schaeffer does business, I would do it.

The CC takes all the risk.
Go online and watch your account 'in between' Monthly statements.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Hello,

I have posted about Schaeffer oil or Amsoil on other section before. I have decided go try Schaeffer oil and found sales rep around me thru their website.

Individual sale person was great but only way to buy Schaeffer oil is give him/her CC number or send a check to sale person and pick up from warehouse next day. Im assume i cant make any payment at warehouse.

How do you feel about giving out your credit card information thru phone or text? Its not 1-800 number or office. Sales person was great, but i just like to make sure my information is secured.

Thanks

I do it all the time. Give it to waiters, over the phone, for medical copays, etc. Never worry about it. Just check your statement. If you get compromised, you just get a new card. Nothing to worry about. I charge thousands every month. Haven't had anything happen in years.

Last edited:
Don't you give your CC information to every vendor you purchase from?!? I'd love to be able to buy stuff without providing CC info.

But seriously, there's little risk here even if the transaction style seems a little antiquated.
No more so than when you hand the waitress your CC at a restaurant.
If I were to venture to guess, you probably don't sweat that, so you probably shouldn't sweat this either.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Don't you give your CC information to every vendor you purchase from?!?

When you swipe your card, I'm 99.9% certain that no one "sees" your card #, expiration date, etc. It's all encrypted and goes directly to Visa, MC, etc. Now, handing your card to a waiter/waitress (about the only place I can think of that walks away with your card, at least in the US) is completely different.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Imp4
Don't you give your CC information to every vendor you purchase from?!?

When you swipe your card, I'm 99.9% certain that no one "sees" your card #, expiration date, etc. It's all encrypted and goes directly to Visa, MC, etc. Now, handing your card to a waiter/waitress (about the only place I can think of that walks away with your card, at least in the US) is completely different.

The chip is way more secure than the mag strip which can be copied like a cassette tape. Hence all the fraud at gas pumps, where mag stripes remain for another year or two.

Banks really like the merchant to have the card present. Shaeffer rep doing it as an offline sale may even have to pay a few 1/10% percent higher fee for the privilege. Not your problem though.

I'm sure Shaeffers lubricants are absolutely top notch, AMSOIL too while we're at it, but the manner in which they insist on selling their products doesn't appeal to me.

As long as its a credit card and not your bank debit card, there's very little risk. You're not responsible for unauthorized purchases.

Prepaid for the first time is a pretty good idea.'
If everything is good, then you can feel at ease giving him the card....

Originally Posted by newtoncd8
Does your card offer a virtual account number (i.e. a one-time use number with security code)? That is what I usually use for online purchases.

That's what I do for all online transactions, and it will work for phone orders, too. I can log on to my CC and create the number and spending limit there. The site creates a one-time number, expiration date, and 3-digit code.

Thanks for all advice.

Only thing it was little different from buying things online or paying a bills over phone. I just have to give my information to random person who i have to believe works for Schaeffer. Their sales definitely little different than buying an Amsoil online, but well i guess im sure it would be same if im buying Amsoil from local sales rep.

Well i feel comfortable after reading all comments.
smile.gif
I will try it for case first and see how it goes.

It's a credit card, not a debit card so who cares. You're only fronting the bank's money, not yours. Use a debit card and you're advertising an entry point to YOUR money.

I've worked in law enforcement fraud investigations for just under half of my 30 yrs in the profession and I only carry *credit* cards. Could care less if my card number gets whacked. I'll simply dispute the charge and sleep like a baby all night long.

Either you trust him and should then give him your number. Or you don't trust him in which case you do not do any business, cash or otherwise with him.

Thanks for all advice.

Only thing it was little different from buying things online or paying a bills over phone. I just have to give my information to random person who i have to believe works for Schaeffer. Their sales definitely little different than buying an Amsoil online, but well i guess im sure it would be same if im buying Amsoil from local sales rep.

Well i feel comfortable after reading all comments.
smile.gif
I will try it for case first and see how it goes.

You can also use Paypal with Amsoil whether you have an account or not with Paypal. It's an extra layer of security in case.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks

By law you're 100 percent covered when using a CC because all unauthorized charges will get charged back to the merchant. Debit cards are similar but have their own issues (you have to get a provisional credit from your bank to replenish your account so outstanding checks don't bounce)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back