Genuine Honda MTF VOA with TAN

Honda MTF VOA.jpg

Thanks for this, I have been wondering how it compares to a modern 10w-30/10w-40 engine oil, and now I can see for myself once I find a VOA for one of those.

Thanks for this, I have been wondering how it compares to a modern 10w-30/10w-40 engine oil, and now I can see for myself once I find a VOA for one of those.
FYI, the KV100 viscosity is 6.96, which is equivalent to being on the thin side of a 20 grade engine oil. The additive makeup is also quite different to engine oil.

FYI, the KV100 viscosity is 6.96, which is equivalent to being on the thin side of a 20 grade engine oil. The additive makeup is also quite different to engine oil.
Yeah, I was mainly curious why the newer oils weren’t good to use (temporarily) whereas the older ones were. I know it was related to changes in the oils for newer catalyst and emissions, etc. but without a VOA for the MTF it was going to be an incomplete picture for me, at best.

It’s all theoretical, the one Honda MTF I am responsible for sees so few miles and is worth so little, I can’t see ever needing to buy anymore fluid for it anyway. But a recent glance at the exorbitant cost per qt for the Honda MTF had me wondering “what if times were really tough…”

But a recent glance at the exorbitant cost per qt for the Honda MTF had me wondering “what if times were really tough…”
Where are you purchasing it? My local Honda dealer sells it for $7.60/quart and can be found for slightly less online.

Where are you purchasing it? My local Honda dealer sells it for $7.60/quart and can be found for slightly less online.
When I checked Amazon, it was $18/qt. Once I caught my breath, I checked eBay and saw 2 for $33. I quit looking after that.

I bought 3 qts about 5 yrs ago, don’t remember what I paid then, but I don’t believe it was nearly that much. Seems like I paid around $8 a quart, but I’d have to find the old receipt to verify that.

Thanks to OP for posting. I used Pennzoil Synchromesh as it was cheaper at the time and easier to attain. I would go with MTL90 or a 1:1 ratio of MTL 75w80 & MT90.

Back