Generator Wars

BITOG Brains Trust,

I'm after a 2200w inverter generator for back-up power.

Yamaha vs Honda

Of course, I'm tossing up between the two heavyweights - Honda (eu2200i) and Yamaha (ef2200is).

I read that the Honda is now made in Taiwan (please correct me if I'm wrong) and that the Yamaha is still made in Japan.

I'm leaning toward the Yamaha, despite it being a little louder and having a smaller engine.

Any views on the Yamaha vs Honda?

Generator Break-In

Separately, I've noticed a few different methods for break-in (vary revs, vs no load) online. What would you do?

I would be partial to the Honda personally especially if it has a larger engine. Yamaha is still a good brand though. What is cheaper with a good local dealer? That’s what I’d take into consideration as well. Around here, Honda wins.

COO is a draw IMO. Taiwan is a normal “western” country.

I just bought myself a generator as well. No mention of break in so I imagine that’ll happen with use.

BITOG Brains Trust,

I'm after a 2200w inverter generator for back-up power.

Yamaha vs Honda

Of course, I'm tossing up between the two heavyweights - Honda (eu2200i) and Yamaha (ef2200is).

I read that the Honda is now made in Taiwan (please correct me if I'm wrong) and that the Yamaha is still made in Japan.

I'm leaning toward the Yamaha, despite it being a little louder and having a smaller engine.

Any views on the Yamaha vs Honda?

Generator Break-In

Separately, I've noticed a few different methods for break-in (vary revs, vs no load) online. What would you do?
The Smaller Honda inverter generators come from Thailand. Some larger ones come from either the USA or Japan. I haven't heard anything bad about Honda generators. Honda and Generac are my two recommendations when it comes to smaller portable generators.

I have a Yamaha 3k and Honda 2k. They are very similar in bottom line satisfaction. The Honda can spin up faster to meet a surge demand, and hondas stator-in-flywheel design saves weight and fuel. The yami is all metal which is appealing but heavier. Parts availability is better on the honda. Honda accepts external tanks more easily and in a safer manner. Yamaha puts all the controls on one side. For me, while the Yamaha feels like a sturdier unit, all metal, traditional-looking engine/head arrangement inside, the Honda’s portability and slightly lower fuel use is the first I grab unless the travel trailer needs AC.

I've had a Honda EU200i for about 12 years. Great little generator and quiet in comparison to many others similar size. We use it a lot for a backyard pitching machine, camping, etc... Runs great and good on fuel even under load. Size and weight fantastic but 2k is not a lot of juice. make sure 2200 will fit your needs.

Cant speak to Yamaha as I've never owned one.

For Break-in, the biggest thing is to change the oil often. I have an EU2000i and changed the oil after 30 mins to get the initial break-in glitter out of the engine. Then I changed it at 5 hours and got more break-in glitter out. I changed the oil every 5 hours or so after that for a few more times.
Now I change every 1-2 years, depending on hours, and the oil drains rather clean even after 50 hours.

The initial run, I used a space heater to load it down. I ran the generator in ECO mode and switched between Low, High and off every few minutes, causing the generator to run at different speeds. After 30 mins, I changed the oil. Then it has been just normal use and frequent oil changes for the rest of the break-in period of 20 hours.

I've got an EF2000 and an EF3000 with boost, never had any problems with either. I used a toaster over to break them in, then changed the oil right after.

That's a great idea. Set the toaster oven and let it cycle on and off automatically. Nice.
That is what I did. Ran em like that for 5 min to start, change oil, ran again for an hour, change oil again, put into regular service.

I chose a real short initial run because neither of them have an oil filter and neither holds even a full qt of oil, so I didn't want break-in particles to circulate in the motor, to the least extent possible anyway. They both have a few hundred hours on em now, issue free except for a battery in the 3000ISeB but that is a scheduled fail item anyways.

Settled for the Honda and started the break-in process using Amsoil "break in" oil.

Similar to Thastinger, I did a 5 minute, plus 15 minute, plus 30 minute, plus 50 minute interval (total aprox 1hr 40min and used two one quart bottles)

Save for a brief 1-2 minute period to allow the generator to warm up, I varied the load regularly from very low - Medium/High and even 100% load (later in the process)

I've now filled with Honda 10w30 but not sure if I can now put the generator into normal use (perhaps some short 2-3 hour intervals to begin with) or if I need to continue varying loads. Thoughts? (Overthinking it, but thats the BITOG spirit)

Amsoil 10w30 small engine will go in when I finish with the Honda oil.

Settled for the Honda and started the break-in process using Amsoil "break in" oil.

Similar to Thastinger, I did a 5 minute, plus 15 minute, plus 30 minute, plus 50 minute interval (total aprox 1hr 40min and used two one quart bottles)

Save for a brief 1-2 minute period to allow the generator to warm up, I varied the load regularly from very low - Medium/High and even 100% load (later in the process)

I've now filled with Honda 10w30 but not sure if I can now put the generator into normal use (perhaps some short 2-3 hour intervals to begin with) or if I need to continue varying loads. Thoughts? (Overthinking it, but thats the BITOG spirit)

Honda generator owners manuals typically say to change the oil after 20 hours, then 100 hours or 1 year after that. Getting all the initial break in glitter out of the engine is the main thing to worry about. I would change it around 5-10 hours and again after the 20hr mark and call it good. Way overkill, but that's what we do here on BITOG.

I also read online about those tiny inverter honda generators that the engines can suffer from cylinder wear when they accumulate high hours. People found that mixing the fuel with a good quality 2 stroke oil at like 200:1 or something crazy lean will provide ever so light oil film to keep the cylinder wear down without cuasing carbon.

You wont go wrong w ou with the Amsoil I'd just go on the Amsoil and be done with it.

To wrap this up - I ran 1.5 hours running our fridge and a little bit of varying of load via a space heater. Glitter was noticeable but much less than before

I then ran another 2 hours on the remainder of the Honda oil and with a very small amount of 2 stroke oil in the fuel (mainly for the purpose of lightly oil coating carby internals, fuel pump etc for storage) running the fridge and a slow cooker.

Drained with minimal glitter and followed the manual for storage prep - refilled with amsoil for a grand total of 6 oil drains.

If I were to do this again, I'd probably "run in" and change the oil at 5-10 minutes, plus 30 minutes and then again at plus 2 hours with variable loads - Otherwise, be prepared to sacrifice a solid day of your time.

During the early intervals outlined in my earlier post, there was definitely plenty of metal in the oil so I would definitely recommend steering well clear of the "20 hours" in the manual.

Honda. I have had one for 23 years and still runs great with no problems. Only the basic maintenance done to it.

Back