Generator - Gas or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 100% gas. Around these parts its premium. When storing I fill the tank. The less air space in the system the less contamination you will have. The gasses in the atmosphere will dissolve into the liquid fuel helping cause the "bad gas" problem. Run it dry or top it off, 1/2 full is bad. To be honest I don't burn too many brain cells when storing my stuff. Maybe I'm lucky. The stuff always starts. Some of the pull start stuff will grumble when it's pulled out of hibernation in the spring but it'll always get going. I'm going to Sunoco 110 for everything pull start this spring. I'd go for Sunoco Optima 95 but that's not available here and the Standard 110 is actually cheaper. It has a three year shelf life. I'm going for the shelf life, not the "power". I like to think I use my mower a lot but it's less than ten gallons a year. I'll see how that goes. If there's no noticeable improvement I'll go back to my plain jane 91 premium which has worked for decades.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How long is Stabil itself good for? I have a bottle at least 8 years old. Still worth using?
See https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tool...il-fuel-stabilizer-is-still-good-to-use/ . According to the manufacturer, it is good for two years if kept in a tightly sealed container. Actually if you read the full article and the Q&A at the bottom, they claim the product is safe to use as long as there is nothing solid settling at the bottom. The exact wording says that there is no harm in using it, but also says the product may do noting [beneficial] at all.

I have been running mine once a year with my shop light plugged in and I keep the tank empty when being stored.

Last edited:
I have seen DOZENS of the steel tanks rust terribly when left empty.

If it has a steel tank, I leave it full. If it has a plastic tank, I leave it empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back