General Altimax Artic Studded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Funny, I watch the weather carefully around thanksgiving and try to keep my all seasons on for road trips. So I don't burn up my snows on dry pavement.
wink.gif

We don't even have salt on the roads yet.

Logically, I'd agree for the 800-ish miles I'll drive over Thanksgiving. But my travel days aren't adjustable due to limited time off work and snow can be unpredictable along some of the route, so unless it's going to be warm and no chance of snow along the whole trip, keeping the summers on isn't worth the risk.

Plus, both sets are pretty fast wearing. The snows have ~10k on them and this will be their last winter, likely ending up with 15 - 17k miles. The summers will be lucky to make 20k miles as well.

Last edited:
Also the snow shoes in the warm climate have no traction its like driving on grease.

Originally Posted By: Grambo
Also the snow shoes in the warm climate have no traction its like driving on grease.

They ahve traction, but they deform on warm weather when braking or going through curve.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

They ahve traction, but they deform on warm weather when braking or going through curve.

Also i dont want to wear them out prematurely

Last edited:
Also the snow shoes in the warm climate have no traction

Not true at all, in my experience. They actually have a ton of traction because of how soft the rubber is.

The downside is they wear out faster.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also the snow shoes in the warm climate have no traction

Not true at all, in my experience. They actually have a ton of traction because of how soft the rubber is.

The downside is they wear out faster.

That is true, when it comes to acceleration.
When it comes to stopping and handling, bcs of soft compound they deform a lot.

Personally, I've never had any problems with braking in warm weather on winter tires. Steering/handling of course is another story.

BTW, just realized wife curbed one of the summer wheels on her Q5. I thought it was impossible, given that the tire sticks out a decent amount past the rim, but she proved me wrong.
smile.gif
Will have to try to get some wider summer tires for her when the OEM ones wear out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Personally, I've never had any problems with braking in warm weather on winter tires. Steering/handling of course is another story.

BTW, just realized wife curbed one of the summer wheels on her Q5. I thought it was impossible, given that the tire sticks out a decent amount past the rim, but she proved me wrong.
smile.gif
Will have to try to get some wider summer tires for her when the OEM ones wear out.

When I think it is impossible, my wife proves otherwise!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well .... went to put them on and one of them is flat.

Guess I have to break it down and clean the bead a bit better.

Leak around the bead? try murphys mounting soap if the bead doesnt seat.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's definitely a bead leak. These wheels are horribly corroded

Steel Wheels?

Junkyard alloys.

Picture from when the car was hit in a parking lot - http://i.imgur.com/MPsIkXC.jpg but it shows the wheels. Curb rash was not my fault. The protective coating has come off on the insides so they leak. I think next year I'm going to end up buying a set of steel wheels since I can't find a set used.

Funny enough, I had all 4 of my snows remounted last week, as a couple had developed significant bead leaks and gone flat over the summer (none were leaking at all when they came off in the spring). I guess a couple of years was all the beads could seal for on the cruddy, corroded set of alloys their on before they needed cleaning up. Any crud I jammed into the beads while rallycrossing last winter probably didn't help...

I buried my Jeep pretty good in a sand hole in August. Friend of mien hit it going like 50 and jammed sand into the bead. Had to break down 3 of the tires and clean the bead surface out.

I put it on. We'll see if it stops leaking. If not, I can break it down, clean up the wheel and reseat.

you have bead lock wheels on your jeep?

Nope. I run them at 15PSI off road. Only once have I bounced off a rock and popped the bead off.

Hey Everybody lets see the pics of the General Altimax Artic Tires!

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back