GDI vs. MPFI OCI's

'17 Htyndai 2.4L GDI : Synthetic 5W20 plus one qrt. of make up oil was about toast at 4K miles of easy suburban driving (UOA showed TBN of 2.0) meaning it needed to be changed by 5K miles max .

My wife's 19 Pilot I follow the olm the first oil change was 5500 miles. This last time it went 7500 miles. It's also DI.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
My wife's 19 Pilot I follow the olm the first oil change was 5500 miles. This last time it went 7500 miles. It's also DI.

Your signature doesn't show keeping vehicles a lifetime. That's how we determine how good the engine and deposits are doing.

I am embarking on that path for the first time with a GDI currently. And please don't compare Honda, Toyota or Ford GDIs to Korean models, that seem to be the model automaker for testing done on SP oils. Our Koreans show the most concern in carbon buildup.

If someone is getting early carbon buildup in their MPI, have the injectors checked for improper use. MPis generally always stay cleaner than TGDI / GDI.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
'17 Htyndai 2.4L GDI : Synthetic 5W20 plus one qrt. of make up oil was about toast at 4K miles of easy suburban driving (UOA showed TBN of 2.0) meaning it needed to be changed by 5K miles max .

shocked2.gif

Thanks for sharing! Wow - I never knew GDI burned less cleanly than MPFI. Thanks to BITOGers for keeping me up to date. Seems like engine builders are employing any and all tricks to eek out even a miniscule fuel savings. Hence the upcoming SP low vis / low friction oils. I've got one GDI engine now, had been changing at the OCI indicator light, but wondered why it came on around 6K miles instead of 7.5K like my MPFI engines.

DI is a trick that keeps MPG up along with HP … and not many changes can do both.

I will add that on many engines the switch to DI will also include some head redesigns after many hours of computer models and flow tests … ultimately full assembly and engine tests.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Thank you. Does this mean we will see only GDI engines soon?

*We are heading towards DI majority gas engines as a way to meet the CAFE requirements that get more stringent every year . But with most GDI engines there is a downside of shorter required OCI's and intake valve carbon build up requiring periodic additional maintenance .

I learned something new today!

Now I remember when GDI was coming out it can switch between air-fuel-ratios of stoichiometric under load to lean burn unloaded (or lightly loaded). The lean burn gets the mileage up, presuming most gasoline engines have light duty cycles. Must make up for less efficient combustion from lesser gasoline atomization with directly injecting. MPFI of course is 100% stoichiometric AFR 100% of the time.

Well, at least they haven't used active SCR exhaust aftertreatment for gasoline engines. Yet.

Back