Gator TH 6x4 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 2008 John Deere Gator TH 6x4 with around 350 hours. Its in decent shape, not all beat up...but it was commercially used.

It was supposedly maintained by a dealer, but I just found the transmission over 3 quarts low of fluid (it holds around 6.1 quarts according to the manual). I had a partial 2-gallon container of Mystik JT-5, and used the remaining oil to just get it to the dipstick. I took it for a quick ride (about 5 minutes), and using a longer "stick", I brought a batch of oil out of the trans and it was completely clear, no signs of damage like metal flakes. So we will see, I'll buy another container of JT-5 tomorrow to top it off. It made either a sucking or pressure release noise when I pulled the dipstick, so I checked the vent which seemed plugged...so I drilled it out (I know, its made that way for a reason; but I know what it will be used for) thinking it might have been pushing the oil out past the seals. The underneath is damp with oil (like a slow seep), but not wet. It doesn't seem to be actively leaking, no drips under the deal after an hour of sitting; but it might just be hung up in the dirt.

The engine is a Kawasaki FH601 19hp, I'm planning on 5w40 Schaeffers based on research on this forum. What is a common cross reference filter for this engine? Is it the same as a B&S or Kohler?

It has these crazy rear chain-driven spindles. How are the maintained? Do they have a grease fitting, or are they oil filled? How do you lube them (the spindles)??

go to the wix filter site and you can find onefor the gator. I did but they only show a 18hp Kawasaki engine, no 19 hp.

Wix has filters for most all JD engines. I found one for my 2010 JD X728SE LAWN & GARDEN TRACTOR w/27hp Kawasaki twin

Just because the JD dealer did the maintenance is no indication of quality work.

I just looked it up...the Wix listing for the Gator also has some other applications with the 19HP Kawa...Wix 51394, which is very close to the standard PH3600 but with a slightly smaller gasket.

I'm almost wondering if they drained the trans and forgot to refill it? The service was done only a couple hours ago, and 24-hours later; there are no leaks/drips.

My Kawasaki engine uses the same wix 51394.

Btw - The oil filter on my 2010w JD X728SE Kawasaki engine was a Kawasaki oil filter made in Japan so the engines are shipped to JD with the oil filter in place. I got the old filter in the shop still.

It uses the same 51394 filter

I was able to find the Wix 51394 in the lookup and that crossed an AMSOIL EA15K09 and that is what I used.

kaw sm engine filter, kaw 49065-2078, jd am107423, fram ph4967, super tech st4967, stp s4967, quakerstate qs4967 all i know off top of my head but should be more than enough info to cross to your preffered brand

FWIW, a 3600 series will fit with only minor rubbing of the filter "funnel"...the funnel could easily be unbolted from the crankcase as it not absolutely needed. I installed a Fram PH3600 last night, it fit fine and is about three times larger than the OE filter. The filter boss has a wide sealing surface that the smaller OE filter only engages the inner portion...the 3600 engages the outer portion of the sealing surface, and gets a full bite. So the sealing portion of the filter is not a concern. The OE filter was a USA John Deere filter...

I changed the oil to 5w40 Schaeffers, which was a lot more fluid than what was drained. The engine spins up a lot faster when starting, and unlike my other mower; the new oil doesn't seem to be flushing any extra [censored] out of the engine.

On a recommendation of a friend, I oiled the chain drives with chainsaw bar and chain oil; so we will see how it works out. I use this mainly for yard work (fairly clean environment), so its not getting that much dirt exposure. The chain was very dry, and squeaking, it definitely needed something.

As for the transmission, I've put about two hoours of run time on it and the fluid has stayed clean...so it doesn't look like there is any damage from the low oil level.

Just as an update, still on my original oil change and cheap Fram filter, got about 30 hours on it (including some running WOT for 20 minutes from point to point). It looks like I just put it in. As noted, this is the 3600-series "Kohler" filter which is a touch larger than the Kawi OE filter, but it works just fine.

Bar and chain oil works VERY well on the drive chains in this application. Not sure it would work well on an exposed chain like a motorcycle, but on these partially housed chains, it seems to work very well.

And finally, the transmission fluid hasn't dropped a bit...leading me to believe it was drained and never filled. The Mystik hydraulic/trans fluid is working well, but I overfilled it and need to vacuum some out as it may be foaming a little bit...probably not a problem in this low speed application, but its an easy fix.

It seems to be running better, probably needed fresh gas run through it since it sat for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back