gasoline vs. nitro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub

For a couple of years now I've been playing with 2 stroke meth/nitro RC cars, and have always bought the premixed fuel/lubricant. Just curious if anyone knows what the difference between the lubricant packages in the model fuels and what is typically used in gasoline 2 strokes. Might be fun to experiment with diffeent lubes on a couple of old glow engines I have sitting around. If yall need somebaseline info the engine is .15 ci and generally runs anywhere from 6,000 rpm (idle) to 40,000 rpm (redline according to the engine manual), and runs around 320 deg. F Not a serious need to know question, just curious.
Bub

[ December 11, 2002, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Bub ]

the 320 Degress is temp just ouside the exhaust outlet. as for the lube, It is a castor-based lube, and even if the fuel burned in the mower, the lube would not work well at all. you also have to remember the engine your using is probably an AB or ABC engine ( Aluminun/bronze, A/B/Chromium) and is designed to run that type of lube....But if you can find some fuel with 50% or more in the nitro, and some old mower or trimmer you wanna get rid of....would be fun to blast it full throttle and see how long it lasts!!!

Hmmm, nito buring weed eater sounds like fun
grin.gif

Most model engine fuels contain some castrol oil.

I thought castrol oil was used to give added protection in the case of running too lean. The piston and cylinder would run too hot and cause the castrol oil to break down, gum up and seize the engine before serious damage was done to the engine.

Fuels with 100% synthetic lubes (helicopter fuels)tend to allow the cylinder and piston to melt before a lean condition is recognized.

[ December 12, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back