Gas station owner protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I like that owner!

I like his intentions, but sadly enough it makes no difference. Until we (Americans) cut back on our energy consumption prices will continue to skyrocket.

Quote:

In no way do I want the government or even my neighbor to mandate what you or I must buy.
FWIW

I agree with you on this point. The government however should do more to raise fuel efficiency standards. Maybe they could put some sort of cap on the number of guzzlers sold. Or maybe they could encourage the automakers to develop more diesels. Maybe the gas guzzler tax should apply to all vehicles that get sub 17-18mpg. Bottom line is that the government should do more.

Quote:

Amen,

I remember a friend who bought a big SUV, and then would try to put the minimum amount of gas in the tank to keep it running, like $5.

Most people believe that because they can purchase (read finance) a thing, it means that they can afford that thing. Wrong wrong wrong. Most people cant count the time-value of money.

very common thing I see at the pump. an SUV putting 8 bucks in gas. I always fill up, gas isn't getting cheaper.

Quote:

My explorer is mid sized and I can't say mileage is great, but one of the reasons I bought it was for safety. With everyone and their momma driving suvs, I rather be in one when I get hit. It's only driven when family is out shopping, going to park, whatever. I feel safer in it and for me that is what counts. I get 15 or so around town and about 19 highway. I think the summer we bought the truck gas was $2.48 gallon. To fill up now each tank is about $17 more, but we drive little so don't have to fill up so much. I am sure doing the 2 times a week would hurt.

You can't blame speeding or big vehicles on the gas prices.
I don't see the logic behind that.

I don't blame you at all for buying the explorer. Alot of people feel the same way. I'm starting to feel that way. My wife mentioned the other day when we have kids that she wants to get an SUV and not have him/her ride in the backseat of our economy car for fear of being rearended by one of those boats on wheels.

I was backing out of a parking spot one day in a parking garage. I was in between a Suburban and an Expedition. I couldn't see at all. I just had to pray there was no cars coming when I was backing out.

Came across this elsewhere:

The people MySpacing you about the gas boycott are the same people who drive 5 miles to Panera for a $6.50 lousy sandwich, another 3 miles to Starbucks for a lousy $4.99 doucheacino, and another 10 miles to The Limited to window shop.
shocked.gif

John

no way, not as much as you are stating here.
What is increasing the price the most is more of the world is becoing developed, and are purchasing more gas/oil then ever before. I think that really sums it up.

Who are you to determine what I NEED!!??!! I work hard for my money and will drive whatever I please. I am not complaining at all about gas prices and will continue to drive my truck as I see fit. Why don't you tell the govt to drop the gas tax and see what type of response you get.
mad.gif

Quote:

Who are you to determine what I NEED!!??!! I work hard for my money and will drive whatever I please. I am not complaining at all about gas prices and will continue to drive my truck as I see fit. Why don't you tell the govt to drop the gas tax and see what type of response you get.
mad.gif

So long as you make the money to sustain it, that is one thing. But the second you take part in any risky behavior - financing the vehicle, holding cc debt, you are the same as the masses which the traders prey upon, because youre stuck with o way out that isnt a large, expensive loss. Then you keep buying at the higher and highger prices, because you need the vehicle to get to work, to continue completing the vicious cycle... you cant afford out, and you cant afford less demand, so you continue using large quantities, which drive and sustain global demand, raising prices ever higher.

Unsustainable finances of the owners, coupled with unsustainable demand increases with limited supply equal higher prices fielded by all.

You can do what you want, but to ignore the effects that it has is not a responsible behavior, IMO. Further, if youre driving as you see fit and not complaining about the prices, then why are you taking part in this thread??? Proceed as normal...
boat.gif

JMH

Gas prices remained relatively stable until 2000 when they started to climb, SUV's were sold through all those years yet effected gas how? SUV's don't affect gas prices, consumption does but not by the US, on a global scale. China's economy is growing expectationaly and with such a big economy calling for all the oil they can get what do think will happen?

Also civil unrest in the Middle East certainly doesn't help.

There is nothing wrong with being comfortable holding a credit card debt or financing a vehicle. If cash was the only standard everyone would be driving around in Yugo's.

Business's use credit much more then I or you ever will.

So saying someone driving an SUV that they pay for and they take no part in complaining about is raising gas prices for you is the most ASININE thing in the world.

Thanks Thermo1223. I hear people all the time blaming those who drive larger vehicles for all the energy problems that could ever happen. I am at the point where I say to them you live your life and I will live mine. Yes, I like my trucks. Yes, I will continue to drive them and my sports cars. You want to blame me? Fine, go right ahead. But you better take a look at our Chinese and Indian neighbors. They are getting so hungry for energy now soon the oil producers won't care about the US. They will be able to sell all the petrolium they want to them and not miss a beat.
cheers.gif

cool.gif

And, No I am not complaining about gas prices because as I stated before, I look at it like food. I need it, I buy it. It has not hurt or dented my bottom line. I buy Shell only and I like it.
cheers.gif

You people are nuts to believe that all the SUVs on the road don't drive gas prices up. More demand equals higher prices. The average SUV gets approx 15mpg city while the average car gets approx 25mpg city. The average person drives 12-15k miles per year. The average price of gas over the last year comes in at $2.89. So lets do some math.

Car

12000 miles / 25 mpg = 480 gallons
480 gallons * $2.89 = $1387.20 per year

SUV

12000 miles / 15 mpg = 800 gallons
800 gallons * $2.89 = $2312 per year

So the average person that drives and SUV burns 320 gallons MORE per year than someone driving a car. Couple that statistic with the fact that there are over 300 million people in the US and you can see where I coming from. Please tell me that you guys aren't so ignorant to believe that gas hogs don't play a role in high gas prices.

thunderchild,

If you drive around 12k miles per year; you ended up paying roughly $1000 more for fuel than I. If a thousand dollars doesn't hurt you bottom line, good for you.

Last edited:
If anything is a single digit in percentage terms if that, I can't find supporting data but the transportain industry uses much more fuel then the common driver does. They don't have a choice either considering most people like their milk cold & in liquid form.

If your going to complain & say SUV drivers raise gas prices for you then stop buying groceries at the store because your raising diesel prices for ME. Seems silly doesn't it?

Quote:

Please tell me that you guys aren't so ignorant to believe that gas hogs don't play a role in high gas prices.

thunderchild,

If you drive around 12k miles per year; you ended up paying roughly $1000 more for fuel than I. If a thousand dollars doesn't hurt you bottom line, good for you.

Its not the gas hogs in and of themselves, its the leverage upon a large, relatively affluent (at least you can indebt yourself in the name of apparent affluence) people, who make poor choices and induce unsustainable behaviors.

1998 was the last cheap gas.. I bought at 80c. I bought a pickup truck that I still own. It was not until about then that the SUV sector really heated up - around then was when fullsize trucks startd being refreshed at a faster than 10+ year cycle. before then the explorer was refreshed once, IIRC, the 4runner got it in 91, the S-blazer in 94, but the offerings were the same old same old, essentially hard riding uncomfortable boxes, or glorified station wagons... unless you really did the big deal and bought a crew cab pickup, suburban, or K-blazer... which only ever changed with the fullsize pickup offerings, which didnt change often back then. Around then was when Honda, MB, Lincoln, Cadillac, etc. started to join the SUV world. When GM revamped the S and K-blazer world to introduce the 4-door tahoe line, fof ford, the expedition, excursion... dodge even considered a 4-dr RAM SUV concept to replace the long gone ramcharger... That was the time when the heat was strong and sure enough that auto makers really locked in on the consumer's thirst for SUVs... not before then... and it was 'fueled' by cheap gas. It took 2-3 years before the tables startd to turn, and we started seeing leverage being exerted on people. Instabilities have always existed, and demand has never stopped growing. That is long term knowledge that is priced into these items as-is. It is the squeeze that can be exerted on the populations that are willing to pay it, which makes the traders and producers rich...

And as for $1000 not hurting the bottom line, Im sure it hurts anyone and everyone reading this thread... The difference is magnatude. For some, it is the difference between making payments and not, for others, it is the difference between eating out and not. For others yet, it is the difference between nothing and nothing - it is $1000 less, but it isnt the end of the world in any way. It is easy for one's own perspective to get in the way of seeing the consequences that such a thing has on the population as a whole.

JMH

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

I like that owner!

I like his intentions, but sadly enough it makes no difference. Until we (Americans) cut back on our energy consumption prices will continue to skyrocket.

Though we are a bigtime consumer, it takes a concerted effort by more than just us to make a real dent, from a consumption and demand perspective. Trading and leveraging on instability doesnt require ridiculous demand in an inelastic product... momentum and advantage take their toll, markets are manipulated, things blown out of proportion, etc.

If the major oil companies tomorrow decided that they were going to boost their profit margins by 2c/gallon, regardless of spot price for crude, we would still have to buy... and they could do such a thing, and in fact would be smart to, because so many people have to drive REALLY far, and are upside down in car loans. Alas, for now it is just the MMs.

JMH

Quote:

Please tell me that you guys aren't so ignorant to believe that gas hogs don't play a role in high gas prices.

This is a supply problem, not a demand problem, and price vs. demand/supply is on a curve. The greater the demand vs. the supply, the higher the price. Demand is not going to go down, it will only go up regardless of what cars people are driving. SO the only way to reduce price is to increase supply. What is the primary reason that does not happen? The big G and the eco's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back