Gas prices related to current vehicle efficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten years ago shale oil was not a big factor. Lots of folks had been running around proclaiming that peak oil had been reached some time ago and that nothing but shortages lie ahead. We were still on an upswing back then in terms of demand. Folks figuring that things were going to get worse and accepted that as the reason for high prices.

Now millions of barrels each day come from shale. Plus folks learned how to get by with less fuel, more efficient cars, LED lights, etc. More folks in the city using buses and shunning cars. OPEC countries needed money so they ramped up the supply.

Originally Posted By: jackz
The gas mileage on minivans and full size non elect. motors have not gained in fuel mileage. A dodge mini gets the same mileage as many years past. Full size vans have had very small increase if any.

What is truly sad is that my 1998 Chevy 2500 with a 454/7.4L big block got almost the same fuel economy as my current 2015 2500 6.0L. Same roads, same driving style, same loads, same seasonal weather, etc. I am not so convinced that the OEM's are trying all that hard with some of their product lines. They seem to when it comes to little vehicles that one could almost peddle to highway speeds. And even the heavy commercial Class 8 trucks, the OEM's have done a stellar job at improving fuel economy, while at the same time increasing average HP and Torque ratings. If the auto/light truck OEM's had improved fuel economy percentages to the extent the big truck OEM's have, we would be seeing 35 mpg light trucks as the new norm while at the same time having more usable power than their predecessors.

We legitimately and significantly reduced our imported oil percentage and resultant trade deficit. This helped make the dollar stronger so now oil *appears* cheaper still.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back