Gas Guzzling RV's selling like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I wouldn't mind a small RV...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
02SE
"Oh no, people are buying products they want, and people have jobs creating those products. We can't have that.."

Exactly. The writers left leaning political views/agenda were obvious even with his token Rolling Stone toss in. People trying to enjoy their lives by traveling around the country. Their time, preference and money...Worthless article

+1

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
02SE
"Oh no, people are buying products they want, and people have jobs creating those products. We can't have that.."

Exactly. The writers left leaning political views/agenda were obvious even with his token Rolling Stone toss in. People trying to enjoy their lives by traveling around the country. Their time, preference and money...Worthless article

+1

+1

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: supton
I saw that. Hopefully those in the biz are saving something out of this boom!

I saw or read about how some couples have turned to full time RV living, and follow work around, not being able to afford retirement. Not sure how much of a percentage they make up, probably not much, but strong sales could be more than just "the economy is doing great!"

We are saving for early retirement and thought about doing the living in an RV thing maybe down AZ way for the bad weather months of the year here in Canada and then come back and park it locally. (Have to come back ever 180 days to keep health-care intact and because that's the travel time permit we are given at the border as Canadian visitors to the US). We also want to see other places in the US so it would be nice to do the RV travel thing too!

I see many of your brethren in Fla. in the winter. Just get on I-75 and keep going until you hit warm weather. Currency exchange has been hurting them the last couple years. I have a 24' MH with the Ford v-10. I have been out west 3 times now and love it. Tried to go to Alberta this past July but the smoke from the western fires was so bad that you couldn't see the vistas. Yes it eats lots of gas. I just stopped worrying about it. It's the cost of traveling. Spend the night at Walmarts along the way and fix my own food. Gas is the biggest expense.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
02SE

+1

+1

+ 1000000

I read some local news here in the Seattle-Tacoma metro about people purchasing trailers or RVs to live in. Since housing and rent has become so expensive here a growing number of mostly younger people are doing this. They can park anywhere for a few days then move on even around the block.

If it’s happening here I would imagine it’s happening in other expensive real estate markets as well.

02SE

Well said.

Harley Davidson sales are in a noticeable decline. RV sales are up.
RV sales were also booming before the Great Recession.

I would rent one to travel the country, but I would never consider buying an RV.

What's the point of the linked article? To criticize how someone decided to spend their hard-earned money?

I don't like little econo-box hybrid cars, but I don't whine when others buy them.
I don't like wine, but I don't have an axe to grind when people go to wine-tastings or travel in wine country for vacation.
I don't like crowded shopping malls, but I don't complain when other folks horde themselves into mass buying hysteria on Black Friday.

Live and let live, as long as the living is not directly hurting you.

Reminds me of the day I was driving in my big Dmax CCLB truck, pulled into a Walmart parking lot to subsequently shop. Found a nice parking spot up close. The lady next to me, in her little Volt, quite literally started a fake cough, waving her hands in the air, and then started a tirade about the "fumes" of my truck. She told me it was shameful of me to drive solo (I was alone) in such a huge thing, wasting fuel, etc. She began to scold me for driving such a "guzzling beast" and told me I needed to be more conscious of what the world needs of people today. She said I needed to get a hybrid and contribute to the solution rather than be a problem. After her rant, I asked her if she thought a little car such as hers would pull my RV and haul my family? (because we were on vacation in SD at the time, and staying at an RV park).

She was parked in a handicap spot. I watched her walk in with no problem whatsoever.
Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

It was just an article I stumbled across and I was surprised that gas guzzling SUV's were selling is all. I don't care what people do with their money it's their money, their choice and their life but I was actually surprised given current fuel costs and the fact that a good number of folks had their savings wiped out in the 07/08 market meltdown.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Harley Davidson sales are in a noticeable decline. RV sales are up.
RV sales were also booming before the Great Recession.

I would rent one to travel the country, but I would never consider buying an RV.

I'm going to travel the country in a Corvette. I was going to do it on a bike, but there are way too many negatives (i.e., you can't take much with you, you get wet when it rains, you have to deal with dangerous drivers, etc). Plus, there's no way my wife would've gone with me on a bike...she will in a Vette...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It was just an article I stumbled across and I was surprised that gas guzzling SUV's were selling is all. I don't care what people do with their money it's their money, their choice and their life but I was actually surprised given current fuel costs and the fact that a good number of folks had their savings wiped out in the 07/08 market meltdown.

Sorry if I offended; wasn't meant to be directed at you. I understand why you started the thread. I just don't understand why people write articles like that.

It's a free economy; should anyone be surprised that luxury items sell to those who have disposable income?

Many football fans around here have RVs specificly for tailgating.

The tropical events which have occured in the last year and a half could have also boosted the sales numbers.
After my wife and I carried my 4 small kids (6 and under), my dog and our bug out bags through waist deep and rising water to evacuate our flooding home in august 2016, we luckily found a vacant two bed room at a days inn about 25 miles south of where we live and 40 miles from where i work. After a few weeks there, I was able to find a vacant apartment near our kids school and jumped on it. The rent was high but I could swing it but 4 small children being kids doesnt go over very well in a 3 floor apartment above a bitter old lady thats used to her peace. After the 6 month lease was up with a significant rent hike we gladly joined the masses and bought a 32 ft travel trailer to place on our property while we rebuild our home. We bought it with the intention of traveling with it in the future but a a water leak brought it back to the dealer who has had it since the end of june forcing us to live in our incomplete home. I dread the day I have to go get it. I'd like to never see it again. The used market for campers here is flooded from familys doing just as ours did.

Technology has made RV travel and living much easier. Cell phones, wifi, sat TV, direct deposit of money, online bill pay etc.

Originally Posted By: grampi
People have short memories. Gas isn't going to stay cheap forever, and when the price goes back up, all of these gas hogging vehicles will be parked in everyone's front lawns with a for sale sign in the window...

don't count on it - there is now 10x as much oil availble/ (right here in USA) RECOVERABLE now with horizontal drilling technology, and they keep finding MORE (BILLIONS of barrels), and horizontal tech keeps getting better (lower cost).
Maybe not 'forever', but those RV's will loooooong be wore-out before the gas price becomes an issue ....

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: grampi
People have short memories. Gas isn't going to stay cheap forever, and when the price goes back up, all of these gas hogging vehicles will be parked in everyone's front lawns with a for sale sign in the window...

don't count on it - there is now 10x as much oil availble/ (right here in USA) RECOVERABLE now with horizontal drilling technology, and they keep finding MORE (BILLIONS of barrels), and horizontal tech keeps getting better (lower cost).
Maybe not 'forever', but those RV's will loooooong be wore-out before the gas price becomes an issue ....

I hope you're right...I too am enjoying the low gas prices...

The only appeal that RV's have to me is that I can go on vacation and take my cats with me.
Having said that, I have my doubts as to if my cats would even like that, and given the number of cats I'm likely to have, it might be a bit crowded.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It is still cheaper than rent you know...

The operational cost not the cost to buy it or the depreciation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back