Garbage disposal keeps getting hung up

Status
Not open for further replies.
At our condo, the main drain clogs and they tell owners not to use the garbage disposals.
Then the main drain clogs and they tell owners not to use the garbage disposals.
Then they dig up the whole front of the building to rework the whole drainage and tell owners not to use the garbage disposals.
Then the main drain clogs and they tell owners not to use the garbage disposals.

We need to just bite the bullet and have them all removed. Haven't used ours once because I hate the whole idea of them, although I will blip it on with water running once in a while just to make sure it hasn't seized.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
I think garbage disposals are gross. When we bought our house last year (a fixer upper) it had one and after a month or so it stopped working and had the grossest smell know to man. When we redid the kitchen we opted to not install a new one.

So what do you do to unclog It? All it takes is a bowl of cereal to clogg it up.

We unclogged it by removing it and throwing it in the dumpster! haha

We have a strainer on the new sink to catch debris from going down the drain. Just remove the strainer, dump it in the trash and you're good to go.

I think garbage disposals are gross. When we bought our house last year (a fixer upper) it had one and after a month or so it stopped working and had the grossest smell know to man. When we redid the kitchen we opted to not install a new one.

So what do you do to unclog It? All it takes is a bowl of cereal to clogg it up.

We have a strainer on the new sink to catch debris from going down the drain. Just remove the strainer, dump it in the trash and you're good to go.

I've had a disposal for 25 years with no problems. I use Zep enzyme drain cleaner in all my drains. I get mine at Home Depot and treat once a month. If your disposal stinks, it's not the disposals fault, it's your fault for not maintaining it!

I had one in my apartment. What a massive pain the thing was. Once a year, the new garbage disposal would start leaking out the power cord. Then the motor would set up and it would stop working. Just one person and I used a strainer. Worst things ever. And they would get to smelling pretty bad too. It didn't matter if I ran bleach or lemons through it ... could never get rid of the rotten smell

I can't imagine how short their shelf life is when they have more than one person using them!

We will be remodeling the kitchen soon. I can guarantee that we will NOT be putting in a garbage disposal!

I put a Badger out of it's misery today. Internal leak. We have a recycler that took it.

If yours has a leak and corrosion like the one I removed that can contribute to jamming/binding.

Not all disposers have the same type of drain pipe setup, but any odors that emanate from mine have their source as the gross gunk that builds up inside the pipe running from the disposer to the trap. I remove it about once or twice a year and clean it out and it's good to go again, stink free. Avoid dumping fats and grease into it, especially when running hot water. The hot water sends it into the disposer as liquid and then it solidifies inside the drain pipe.

Brilliant! I've honestly never had an issue with garbage disposers, but nobody has ever put anything stupid down the drain and this is a new place I got so who knows what they did. For all I know it could have been a piece of some guys wedding ring. Lol

Well, it is installed. Yesterday my Manager and Supervisor approved me installing it. We had a maintenance request, but they are not great plumbers. They broke the toilet every time they worked on it. I ended up fixing it.

I probably over prepaired watching 30+ hours of video, reading articles, etc. My dyslexia means I need time to process info to not get it mixed up.

Well, things went good and thought it was strange I was not given me the top flange gasket seal. It was on the counter top with the brass nut.
lol.gif

I got it to the right place. The basket assembly was well built (reason I bought) but harder to install with the ring. I bought it for the strainer with the ball bearing end. I thought it could take the abuse it would get.

They did high mount dishwasher hose with a string, but the hose was too short. I was able to pull several feet of hose from the back of the dishwasher and attach to the bottom of the countertop.

Breaker off for garbage disposal and secured capped wires out of way. That was the easy part.

Hard part somewhat was routing pipe after the trap. Ended up with a 45 degree angle piece and cut a piece to ensure things lined up.

I may have a small leak. Ran dishwasher and it was like it dripped or leaked? Will check leaks Sunday. Dishwasher is off.

This is one of those jobs I volunteered for and now that it is done I do not ever want to do it again. Here is the end result:

The pictures are sideways but the right way on computer. Will quit while I am ahead.

The leaking Badger went to the recycler. Good riddance! Thanks again!
11.gif

It was a sliver of metal. Works great now. Lol I'm not really sure what it goes to though.possibly a fork at one point?

Forks have 4 points.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

I've had a disposal for 25 years with no problems. I use Zep enzyme drain cleaner in all my drains. I get mine at Home Depot and treat once a month. If your disposal stinks, it's not the disposals fault, it's your fault for not maintaining it!

That may be but when you buy a house and a few weeks later it stops working and smells horrible it's definitely not my fault. We hadn't even moved in yet.

Originally Posted By: dbias
It was a sliver of metal. Works great now. Lol I'm not really sure what it goes to though.possibly a fork at one point?

Forks have 4 points.
A Fork has two points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back