Garage Air Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I have seen PVC used for air lines . I did not know it was a no - no ?

Same.

Have had Schedule 40 PVC air lines in my friend's shop since 1991... I think almost 30 years later and still being just fine, the there's nothing wrong with PVC if done right.

May not be what you had in mind, but I and most of my shadetree buddies run air lines in the garage out of black pipe. Run the first pipe straight up near the compressor, water trap at the bottom, and then just insure there is a small slope downward (can be as little as an inch over ten feet) so that moisture collects at the end, where you put your end water trap / valve.

We generally have taps every 10~20 feet around the garage to attach air lines / tools. Taps should be pointed up to avoid a water collection point. Eliminates long air lines which has it's own advantages.

The volume inside that pipe is air storage volume ... it's the same as using a larger storage tank on the compressor itself. In contrast to air lines, where the small diameter is an impediment to air flow, it's an improvement of flow over the same distance. That in turn allows your compressor to act like it is larger than it really is. The additional storage is easily calculated with some simple math so you know how big your "new" storage tank is.

Black Pipe fittings are easily found, it's easy to work with (if you need a thread cut on a custom length, you can get that done for you where you buy the pipe, or at any shop that deals with heavy duty equipment, usually. Appropriate air fittings easily fit into off-the-shelf black pipe fittings. A little gas tape (yellow teflon) and some All-Round ® or pipe straps and you're done. Forever.

The idea for this was given to us by a buddy many years ago who became an Aircraft mechanic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'd just go get Harbor Freight hose and run that. Cheap, easy, no issues
smile.gif

I've thought about that, but I've had 2 of those burst that was connected to a smaller compressor. Not fun trying to run down a 25ft high platform to turn off the compressor. This was in industrial use though. We bought some Goodyear hose and crimp fittings from McMaster-Carr and have had no issues with that. That might not be a bad idea.

Give Bluebird air hose a try. I believe Trav recommended it at one time.

Bluebird is good hose, I have one separate strictly for filtered air no oil for the spray guns and breathing mask.
The stuff I linked to is PA (Nylon) not PVC and has a larger ID so you get better performance with the air tools when using Milton V/euro 7.2 fittings.
For Milton G you want 1/2 ID or better.

I've run over 150 feet of a combination of copper, and galvanized pipe in my 26x32 garage. I really like the copper for cooling, and the steel for being able to modify. I'm running a IR 5hp 2-stage compressor, and a Zek's refrigerated air dryer. Works perfect, with always enough air pressure, and no moisture at all. Did it the hard way for many years, with too small of a compressor, with way too much water when running hard, without enough power.

You guys have given me some great info, thanks!

All I really need the compressor for right now is for infrequent impact use, blowgun for engines, tires, and the occasional bumper cover that I need to paint. I just need to have 2 solid ports to plug into rather than dragging a long line everywhere. I'm thinking to run steel to the ceiling and then connect my PEX to it.

I'm eventually going to build a larger style pole-barn garage that will deserve a 2 stage to where I can start painting cars, but for what I do currently I don't need something terribly big. Not to mention I don't have the electrical service for a 220 style.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What spray gun are you using for bumper covers?

Just a Harbor Freight special. I have a small 5 gal that actually works with it well on the couple I've done. Wouldn't use it on anything else, a proper Sata or the like requires something more deserving.

I just got a new mini/midi gun that I will post a review of soon. It uses very little air, Made in Italy, all service parts are available and its fan and flow are perfect for touch ups or a full panel for about $100.

This place is the best place on the friggin planet to get spray guns, CS is second to non and they ship lightning fast (overnight DHL) without getting crazy with the pricing. All prices inc their VAT but it is removed for export.

This is the gun, it really shoots as good as gun priced 3x as much. Check out the price of parts and cups for this gun, I got all three cup sizes. It comes with a 250ml, this gun has already paid for itself in saved paint vs a full size gun. I use it with a 1.0 tip

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index....h.U2qGwK3e.dpbs

Edit: I forgot to mention the ANI regulator, the thing is a masterpiece and very high quality, I retired my old devilbiss regulators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
If PEX works-GREAT!

If heavy PVC works-GREAT!

A friend bought a 12 year old pre-fab house (a demo which had never been hooked up except for electric) plumbed with PVC.

When we sent water to it all the PVC split, cracked away and crumbled. No doubt this pre-fab was of lower quality throughout but, if there's some kind of weakness in PVC and something else works a lot better, I'd say go for the better line material.

The heavier PVC might be just fine. I don't know.

My experience is with Schedule 20 ( very thin , might use it for underground water lines away from a building ) , Schedule 40 ( to me , standard duty PVC ) and Schedule 80 ( about twice as thick as Schedule 40 ) .

Be sure to clean the glue joints well , I would prime them ( except for PVC conduit ) , then use the correct glue . The colder it is , the longer it takes to set / achieve full strength .

The problem with PVC is it’s failure mode. When it fails it explodes and sends shards of plastic everywhere with lots of energy from the compressed air. Not a single compressor or pvc pipe manufacturer recommends it and It OHSA forbids it for above ground use.

I plumbed my detached garage and attached garage with PVC about 25 years ago. About 35 feet of it goes under concrete. I have an 80 gallon 175 psi compressor in the detached garage that I keep regulated to 100 psi normally, and it feeds both garages. I have not had any issues in the 25 years of it being there.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The problem with PVC is it’s failure mode. When it fails it explodes and sends shards of plastic everywhere with lots of energy from the compressed air. Not a single compressor or pvc pipe manufacturer recommends it and It OHSA forbids it for above ground use.

Exactly.

Sure PVC can work, but it is a really BAD idea period. Just because it's cheap and easy doesn't make it the right way to do it.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I'd just go get Harbor Freight hose and run that. Cheap, easy, no issues
smile.gif

I've thought about that, but I've had 2 of those burst that was connected to a smaller compressor.

Excellent idea guys! I have a smaller only 3 gallon air compressor from https://bestaircompressorstore.com/central-pneumatic-air-compressor-review/ and I had a small idea. Your Idea really helps me with my 20 ft Home Garage air lines setting work perfectly. However a lot of thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back