G052527A2 Oil Replacement

Therefore, why is section 3 labelled 'Composition/information on ingredients' while giving percentages and substance registry numbers (CAS), in the case of VW, with the mixture concentrations adding up to approx 100%.

Young British Sarcasm it was.
I will quote KSCHACHN's post again: He used to write MSDS and SDS's. Please pay special attention - it is only those chemical compounds that might be hazardous or toxic in which disclosure is required.

"An SDS is solely designed to document hazardous components in a substance to warn first reponders, users, and other entities that may come into contact with the substance. It in no way is a complete documentation of the composition, especially if the constituent is non-toxic. In addition, for the compounds it does list they can be quite vague ranges of percentages and a manufacturer can exclude some things (proprietary) under some conditions.

Also if a manufacturer is trying to protect trade secrets don't underestimate the degree of obfuscation that may be going on. The SDS will still be accurate for LD50 or flammability or other toxicity statements but I can tell you that if you can mislead your competitors then you might take the opportunity to do so. No manufacturer will ever give away a trade secret on an SDS, ever.

SDS are and should be used for safety purposes and nothing else. Maybe you can read the tea leaves and come up with some conclusions but maybe not. So for some things like comparing base stocks on some oils it may be indicative. However it is not and is never is a "chemical composition" as you stated."

I know I'm late but let me join this discussion.

I am UK based, not sure how many of you lot are.
So, as we know, the G052527A2 spec is hard to find

Castrol products aren't offered in the UK? Actually?

I have had a replacement used 6 speed gearbox fitted but it is super notchy in most gears, and no better when warm.
hopefully not the syncros as there is no grinding, don't want the hassle of refunding it and finding another one

What exact car? What engine? What transmission? 02S or 02Q?

When notchy even when warm there's really something wrong.
An extremely inadequate oil (e.g. GL-5), defective clutch or dual-
mass flywheel or actuation. I'd strong recommend to determine
the actual fault first.

The transmission oil I provided to the mechanic was Mannol 8104, which meets the required specs, however as it is a budget one (£23 for 3 litres), I wonder if I need to change it and it will improve.

Mannol say this about their MTF-4: :oops:

Mannol said:
Recommendation
API GL-4
VOLKSWAGEN G 009 317
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 171
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 178
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 512
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 532
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 527
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 726
VOLKSWAGEN G 052 798
VOLKSWAGEN G 055 726
BMW MTF LT-1
BMW MTF LT-2
BMW MTF LT-3
BMW MTF LT-4
FORD WSS-M2C200-D2
MB 235.10
MITSUBISHI MZ312644 3005401
NISSAN 999MP-MTF20P KE91699932R
PEUGEOT 9730A2/9730A8
PSA B71 2330
TOYOTA JWS 227

Within the same listing from 75W (or 70W-75, just like VW 052 527)
up to 75W-90 (BMW MTF LT-4) - twice as thick. This recommendation
is untrustworthy! (n)
Anyway, if MTF-4 is actually a GL-4 75W-80 then is should work fairly
ok without grinding in particular when warm.

I did experiment some on my own 02Q tranny and other did the same.
These MTFs run fine with 02M/02Q transmissions (GTI, R, S3, 2.0 TDI etc.):

- VW's own G 052 527 (75W)
- Castrol Transmax Manual V 75W-80
- Ravenol MTF-2 75W-80
- Ravenol MTF-3 75W

No single complaint known with these on the formentioned cars so far.

"VW G 052 527 A2" is NOT an approval. This is just a part number. "A2"
just means a one liter bottle. The corresponding VW-own spec is called
"TL 52 527" btw..

Back