G052527A2 Oil Replacement

Hi all,
new here!

SO, I know that G052527A2 / G 052 527 A2 appears a few times in threads, but would like some advice.
I am UK based, not sure how many of you lot are.

So, as we know, the G052527A2 spec is hard to find, impossible to know any details of additives or temperatures etc.

I have had a replacement used 6 speed gearbox fitted but it is super notchy in most gears, and no better when warm. hopefully not the syncros as there is no grinding, don't want the hassle of refunding it and finding another one:( The transmission oil I provided to the mechanic was Mannol 8104, which meets the required specs, however as it is a budget one (£23 for 3 litres), I wonder if I need to change it and it will improve.

The replacement ones and their approximate costs for 3 litres are:
1. FUCHS TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W - £31/$40
2. FEBI 21829 - £36/$46
3. RAVENOL MTF-3 75W - £42/$54

There is also the Redline MT-LV, however costs quite a bit more in the UK - £79/$100. Including as I know its a fan favourite on here.
Then the OEM oil is £150/$195.

Thank you all!
J

Hi,
527 is 75w <> 75w80 GL4, so your choose is ok but:
a) Mannol usually is low-med range
b) formulation seems different to 527
All could affect to performance.

Fuchs is similar to 527 (512 twin), Meguin Megol MTF GT3 is more. Ravenol could be ok.

Hi,
527 is 75w <> 75w80 GL4, so your choose is ok but:
a) Mannol usually is low-med range
b) formulation seems different to 527
All could affect to performance.

Fuchs is similar to 527 (512 twin), Meguin Megol MTF GT3 is more. Ravenol could be ok.
How do you know formulation is different? & I think Fuchs is better than Meguin? according to a post on an oil analysis polish forum i translated.

Anyway, I have found out that the viscosity for the OEM is 27.6mm²/s at 40°c. None of the aftermarket ones are that low.

How do you know formulation is different? & I think Fuchs is better than Meguin? according to a post on an oil analysis polish forum i translated.

Anyway, I have found out that the viscosity for the OEM is 27.6mm²/s at 40°c. None of the aftermarket ones are that low.
Well you need check all info possible and compare it.
Both Fuchs, Ravenol and Meguin have any TOP syn oils, difference is additive package. Redline is simply super TOP but additive is totally different to previous.
If you want similar formulation to 527 Fuchs/Ravenol are good (little thicker). Meguin is thinner.
Redline should work perfect, but uses more classic and stronger chemistry.
There are not comparison between Mannol performance and these, different quality, so different performance specially when cold.

Well you need check all info possible and compare it.
Both Fuchs, Ravenol and Meguin have any TOP syn oils, difference is additive package. Redline is simply super TOP but additive is totally different to previous.
If you want similar formulation to 527 Fuchs/Ravenol are good (little thicker). Meguin is thinner.
This is the only spec I can find for the Original Oil.

The Mannol oil I used is >50mm²/s at 40°c vs the original spec saying 27.6mm²/s at 40°c.

Based on oils I can source from UK:
Fuchs Sintofluid is 40.8mm²/s
Ravenol MTF-3 is 35.1mm²/s
Millers EE Performance 75W is 31.2cSt / mm²/s

Meguin is great and Wolf Ecotech is great but can't source them unless I import.

From visco properties Miller is the target.
From additive Fuchs is the most similar, after Ravenol.

So ravenol is better for additives than Fuchs? I am unsure how to make sense of additives - I do not understand the differences.

Do I focus on viscosity or additives .. currently my gearbox is hard to change gears with even when warm, but no grinding or anything.

Also.. the oil seems to be the same as what Ford use/used? Same density & viscosity as VW, but I'm unable to source this exact one unless they've renamed it.

https://www.msds.ford.com/documents/505862 A_GBEN.pdf

Last edited:
Good question, visco or adds. Visco is rule one, but additives and base oils are very important.
VW uses Molibdeno, Fuchs too, Ravenol no.
If Millers is similar price to others try it.

Yeah Ford D2 and S-FVA are good options too, but at least D2 additve is totally different (classic GL4 + little PAO). Petronas/Tutela Gearforce 75w GL4 is other but again different adds.

What do people think about synthetic oils with ester in vs pure synthetic?

You can use this to compare:

Here is an old UOA I did on the 512 75w fluid:

Thanks both..

Is a group V better than a group 3 or 4?

I'm unsure what group the original G052527 oil is.
Anyway, the original specs are:
27.6 cSt at 40c
6.1 cSt at 100c

These seem really low and hard to match in basically any of the aftermarket oils I've looked at?

Last edited:
Thanks both..

Is a group V better than a group 3 or 4?

Anyway, the original specs are:
27.6 cSt at 100c
6.1 cSt at 40c

These seem really low and hard to match in basically any of the aftermarket oils I've looked at?
i think you have the numbers reversed. 6.1cSt at 100c is the number you need to think about. That puts you roughly into ATF range. Lots on this site about viable options for the various viscosity ranges.

i think you have the numbers reversed. 6.1cSt at 100c is the number you need to think about. That puts you roughly into ATF range. Lots on this site about viable options for the various viscosity ranges.
Oh sorry, I've corrected it! - I'm at work so not focussing properly lol, wrong way yep.

Redline MT-LV is close at 30.6 & 6.5, but expensive in uk.

Anything should be better and feel better than the oil I used right? Which is 50 & 8.22.

Oh sorry, I've corrected it! - I'm at work so not focussing properly lol, wrong way yep.

Redline MT-LV is close at 30.6 & 6.5, but expensive in uk.

Anything should be better and feel better than the oil I used right? Which is 50 & 8.22.
Used MTF will have an effect on shift feel in the cold in many vehicles.

I didn’t ever find redline to be that great long term. Nice at first, then the noisy diff would come back and a firmer shift feel would return.

I’d suspect you can find a Fuchs product that is synthetic and appropriate over there.

I’d suspect you can find a Fuchs product that is synthetic and appropriate over there.
Soo, fuchs is 40.8 at 100c & 6.7 at 40c.
Fuchs specs.

So better than what I used but not the best.
IMG_6183.png

wolf Ecotech is Europe based but not UK .. otherwise would be great.

It's mainly group II/III and usually these VW are based on inactive trisulfide sulfur antiwear/EP GL4. Most 75w commented above are the same with little differences on base oil or adds, except Redline (true syn) and Ravenol (little syn).

Back