Fusion steering wheel bolt recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this is a flaw from the fastener supplier or the steering system vendor. I know Ford and GM are both Nexteer clients. Nexteer is a Chinese firm and they did list GM Saginaw as a legacy. Takata also makes steering wheels but with Key Safety Systems taking them over, who knows?

If they find out the bolt isn't the problem but the column shaft is, Ford should be knocking on the supplier with the Fusion/Mondeo contract for answers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Maybe that's one of the parts that should have been rehashed before it ever ended up in the car on the line instead of some poor bugger sitting there holding a steering wheel not connected to anything but some wires.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a fun time.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If a steering wheel defect, affecting the ability to command the vehicle, is not the most crucial safety aspect, then what is? Ford should definitely stop selling new models affected and advise people that have one to stop driving and provide loaners.

But in this stupid world we live in, people will be outraged at some extra emissions and speculate how many thousands of people it might've killed, but won't blink an eye at a problem that can or already has killer or injured people.

I have a 14 Fusion hybrid that is affected by this recall. I inquired with a couple of dealerships in my area and have been told we are a few weeks to a month or two out. I have voluntarily parked my Fusion and am driving my old beater Suburban in the meantime. The extra fuel cost is not fun however its cheap for me and my family in the name of safety.

It would be nice if Ford issues rentals/loaners for everyone affected. However I understand the logistics of such a large move and the negative impact on the dealer network.

Got our second shipment of bolts in. I set one aside for my mom's Fusion and one for our outside sales guy who has a Fusion for a personal car.

The new bolt is about twice as long as the original one and covered in green thread locker.

O and you now have seen some of the junk on my monitor stand at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back