Furnace filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I saw some kits on eBay/Amazon and thought you may have used those. Where do you use steel tubing?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: dschultz
Almost all the pleated 1 inch filters have the problem of quickly restricting airflow. The higher the rating (MERV, etc.) the faster the filter will load up.
The washable filters can also be too restrictive. Although systems with ECM motors can compensate for restriction there is a limit and long term restrictions can cause coil icing when cooling, heat exchanger cracks on gas furnaces, and high pressure problems on heat pumps.

If you want to have high efficiency media filters I recommend you go as thick as possible and then select a high MERV rating.

I had a Carrier electronic air cleaner that finally failed, it was never as good as promised, I removed the cells and measured the space for a media filter.

I found a company the makes custom filters send me an 18 x 24 x 6 MERV 11 filter, $24 each minimum order of 4.

They last me about a year, fan running almost continuously, and no dust accumulating on blower.

I just found out what you did. My Lennox Electronic Filter is dead. It is a 16X25x5 on the inside. I'm gonna do just what you did and stick a Lennox filter in the empty slot. Wonderful! Thanks!

I also purchased some foam pipe wrap and placed a flat layer around the inside edge of my filter housing to provide an additional gasket. Added a layer on the air cleaner door too. I think the foam strip rolls are at Home Depot. I forgot the brand or product name.

The site I purchased my filters from is filters-now.com

Excellent point. I believe the height dimension is only about 4.5 inches so I'll need some gasket material for it to fit snuggly into the 5inch opening.

Have a builder grade home. I use a 1 inch fiberglass filter, and have a standard efficiency unit.

I replace it every 2-4 weeks depending on how much it runs.

I have found the American Air Filter Stratadensity filters to be a good value, and they catch dust without restriction.

I buy a case of 12 for $20 on ebay.

Have had two neighbors had to replace blowers recently. One used a pleated filter at 3 month intervals. One used one of those washable filters.

I think the standard house has too little cold air return, so putting a restrictive filter on it will kill the blower.

I have used the blue fiberglass filters from walmart or lowes, and they do not catch any dust, and do not fit my housing well. I would not recommend those, and they cost more than the ebay ones I buy.

Last edited:
My furnace/AC is around 24 years-old. I use Nordic Pure MERV 10s in 16x25x1". A 6-pk for around $38 at Amazon Prime. Keeps dust at bay and still flows well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Have a builder grade home. Have had two neighbors had to replace blowers recently. One used a pleated filter at 3 month intervals. One used one of those washable filters. I think the standard house has too little cold air return, so putting a restrictive filter on it will kill the blower.

That's why I ended up building a return air plenum and adding an additional return for my system. I run the blower continuously and just replaced the motor after twenty years in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back