Fun read on Buca De Beppo

Milwaukee is known for its German heritage, but the old Third Ward was largely Sicilian. The city has lots of great Italian restaurants -- one of my favorites is the Calderone Club. The old Venice Club served fried eggplant strips in a delicate egg batter -- absolutely sublime.

For quite a few years the city had a couple Louise's Trattoria restaurants that were affiliated with a small California chain. We liked Louise's quite a bit, and the restaurants seemed to do well. We were surprised when they closed eight or nine years ago.

Years ago when I was working in Chicago I was invited to a private Italian American club in Racine or Kenosha (can't recall).

On Saturday nights they had a wonderful Italian dinner. What a experience.
Probably the Roma Lodge. My wife’s cousin is a member there. He’s 400 pounds so maybe not the best critic of fine dining but he loves the place.

I like Wells Brothers pizza in Racine. Very thin, I can eat a whole pizza myself.

Here in STL, we have a bunch of great Italian places and sandwich shops in The Hill neighborhood. Definitely give them a shot if you are ever in town.

Back