Fuel tank capacity of 2004 Explorer w Tow Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
A work question. Person at work with a company vehicle consistently charges over 23 gallons a fill up on company card. All of my research says the tank has a 22.5 gal capacity. he says the tow package has a larger tank, 25 gallons. No owners manual and other than following him to fill up some day cannot dispute his claim of a 25 gal tank but I cannot seem to locate anywhere if the towing package can, in fact, have a 25 gallon fuel capacity on a 2004 Explorer. So either he is correct or he is filling up cans for personal use, filling up a personal vehicle at the same time as the company car or?

Does anyone know?
thanks

From what I've found out, the towing package includes a transmission cooler and receiver hitch. No mention of bigger tank.

If you PM me the VIN i can double check what it was built with. The parts listings for these explorers show a few different tanks depending on the emissions state it was sold in. All I need is the last 8 digits of the VIN.

Put him in a Nissan Leaf for a while, and watch him squirm.
lol.gif

You can institute a mileage log, make him write down his odo reading whenever he buys gas. Check his odo occasionally too. You can go nuts with a logging GPS if you want.

All I am going to add is that my '97 Explorer is that the capacity is listed at 20.8 gallons. I routinely put in over 22 gallons, sometimes over 23. Doesn't matter what gas station, so it is not a fuel measurement issue unless every pump is wrong.

Draw your own conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back