Fuel pump replacement cost

07 Silverado Classic. Fuel pump is in the tank. What is a reasonable estimate for parts and labor to replace the fuel pump?

I was thinking right in between the two previous estimates - $650 or so, but I'm also getting to the age when I tell people, "I remember when candy bars were a nickel!" so closer to $1,000 is probably correct.

That being said, there's a real nice three-part video series on how to do this job yourself if you're up to it. Part One is below - you can look up the other parts on his channel.

Thanks for the responses so far. Mechanic I have used in the past (and I'm fine with) gave me a spread of $500 to $700, parts and labor. So sounds like he is being reasonable, which is what I was wanting to determine.

Wouldn't attempt this job myself, but thanks for the link, mccandish.

That is rip off pricing. $536 for an aftermarket fuel pump? More like $200 retail on a Carter brand. And if they aren't going by the flat rate of 1.4 hours, they rip you off twice.
Not an endorsement.
Many shops charge this much.
Rip off is the norm in the auto repair business. ( very few exceptions)

Not an endorsement.
Many shops charge this much.
Rip off is the norm in the auto repair business. ( very few exceptions)

Indeed, rip off is the norm. Another mechanic I know well and has been in the business all of his life - and his dad before him - has told me there isn't anyone around in his area that he would trust to be honest. That is sad. But it's just the way it is.

So what's the point of the flat rate system if that is the case?

I get your point.

To me it's similar to a dealer giving a low ball offer on my trade. I could say but NADA, Black Book, etc says my vehicle is worth much more. They might counter with, then sell it to them. They will pay what they will pay. Shops/mechanics will charge what they will charge. Up to me to determine if I think it is reasonable.

Don't know of any book, system, or laws that can guarantee integrity.

Asking around can help (as I'm attempting to do), but no guarantee here either.

Is the job really booked at 1.4 hours? It takes guys like 15 minutes just to get the vehicle in and up on the lift

Yep. Flat-rate assumes the tech has the tools and factory documentation to get the job done within that time. Many times, especially at a dealership, the goal is to hack and shortcut your way to beat book time. Customer gets charged full time, you get the keep the difference between book and actual time.

Yep. Flat-rate assumes the tech has the tools and factory documentation to get the job done within that time. Many times, especially at a dealership, the goal is to hack and shortcut your way to beat book time. Customer gets charged full time, you get the keep the difference between book and actual time.

Yes, I know how it works. 1.4 hours is pretty short though unless there is an access panel or something.

.... the goal is to hack and shortcut your way to beat book time.
Fortunately, being a truck they are less likely to do an obviously visible hack job, like cutting a hole in the bed.

Is 1.4 hours based on dropping the tank, or raising the bed?

OP: Please let us know how this ends. I'm in the $1000+ camp.

Fortunately, being a truck they are less likely to do an obviously visible hack job, like cutting a hole in the bed.

Is 1.4 hours based on dropping the tank, or raising the bed?

OP: Please let us know how this ends. I'm in the $1000+ camp.

Dropping it off tomorrow. He will cold start it the next morning while pressure testing the fuel line. If this doesn't make him happy, he'll look for other issues.

Symptoms are hard starting first time in the day, rough idle for a while, followed by perfectly running engine the rest of the day.

I've used this guy before for other things. He absolutely seems legit. Small shop, and he stays extremely busy.

In about 2005 (not sure) driving on the interstate through Northern Illinois on my way to Fort Leonard Wood, MO, the fuel pump went out on my 1998 Blazer. Had the Blazer towed the nearest Chevy dealer. Fuel pump installed was $1600. The dealer tech did not install the ring to the fuel tank properly, so when I went to fill up -fuel was pouring out all over the place. Went back to the dealer, service advisor said another $500 to replace the ring... claimed not technician's fault the ring failed. Total, $2100.

This is why I always try and do my own work.....

Last edited:
On my 97 Z28, when it was with the State Police, they cut a hole in the trunk area to replace the pump. They actually did a really good job welding it back up. The carpet covered it anyway.

I've replaced a few fuel pumps by dropping the tank. I ALWAYS had to replace the tank straps.

Back