FTC warns Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: madRiver
What is cheaper , pay $68k brand new and lose the value to $18k ($50k!!!!) over 5 years or buy two of used them for $36k - $18k trade in both over similar span of time.

Both are stupid ways to throw away your money. I can't stand people that are always playing musical cars and loosing tens of thousands of dollars each time...

My mom has bought 3 BMWs a few years old because she thinks she's better than other people, but can't afford them new. All three were totaled before 180,000 miles. By "totaled" I don't mean wrecked, I mean mechanically broken and the cost to repair greatly exceeded the value of the car. She loses $10-20k every time she does this and will never learn a lesson from it...

Not only were they expensive wastes of money, they could never be trusted to be reliable and take her anywhere.

Well it's been fun to drive. For kicks, I looked up the value of my car. After about 4 years, it's worth about 9k. So 9k over 4 years is a little over 2k in depreciation per year. New cars depreciate at over 2k per year too. Might be worth 10-11k too as mine has all the expensive options that the base models didn't have which was why it listed for 68k, they were normally 55-60k with the basic option package.

It's not a waste if you enjoy it and can afford it.

I can't stand people that are always playing musical cars and loosing tens of thousands of dollars each time...

One of my bugbears is people who use "loosing" instead of "losing".

Really grates on me.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yep, america's worst warranty.

I suspect most folks would disagree and would find out that's the furthest thing from the truth.

The only thing the FTC warning featured was to eliminate exclusivity of manufacturer parts.

In the case of the dealership in our area...they actually double the factory warranty for engine & drivetrain (20 year/200,000 miles), with the only difference being the $250 deductible after the original factory warranty marks (10 year/100,000 miles) are past. Add in the 5 year 60K bumper to bumper...and it IS America's Greatest Vehicle Warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I can't stand people that are always playing musical cars and loosing tens of thousands of dollars each time...

Really grates on me.

oil -- don't worry about how others spend their money on vehicles.
shannow -- dun't know y sumone elses spulling shud bother u. I could kare less.

i suggest this regarding hyundais:

1. compare real out the door pricing to an equivilent toyota
2. drive both the hyundai and toyota
3. look at what is needed to keep either the hyundai or toyota warranty intact. 5 years ago, when I calculated, one would spend close to 50% the car price over the warranty, to keep the hyundai warranty in tact. no thanks
4. resale value when done with either

After following the above, not sure why a hyundai is even considered by anyone. I looked into it, no way.

93cruiser, I don't understand what you mean in number 3. All I've done, cost wise, is oil changes on my Hyundai's and my warranty has remained intact. I've done most of them myself and the few warranty issues I've had were covered at no cost to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

3. look at what is needed to keep either the hyundai or toyota warranty intact. 5 years ago, when I calculated, one would spend close to 50% the car price over the warranty, to keep the hyundai warranty in tact. no thanks

After following the above, not sure why a hyundai is even considered by anyone. I looked into it, no way.
What you do is buy a slightly used one.

Last year I bought my 2015 Sonata for $10k. The absolute cheapest 2015 Camry within 300 miles was $14k and the absolute cheapest Accord was $16k. That's hundreds and hundreds of cars.

The engine and transmission on my Sonata could blow tomorrow and I'd still be ahead. And it's roomier and more comfortable than the Camry and Accord.

Does not make sense. I have never been to the dealer for anything other than a warranty repair. I do my own oil changes, and keep the documents.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
93cruiser, I don't understand what you mean in number 3. All I've done, cost wise, is oil changes on my Hyundai's and my warranty has remained intact. I've done most of them myself and the few warranty issues I've had were covered at no cost to me.

if you do not perform every scheduled maintence on the car, the warranty is void. I kust looked, its not as bad as it used to be. Still, no hyundai for me

On my 2018 Hyundai hybrid change the oil every 7500 miles and change the belt at 67500 miles. Everything else is inspect and replace as necessary. Oh, spark plugs at 97500, 2500 before the warranty is up. Battery warranty is lifetime.

if you do not perform every scheduled maintence on the car, the warranty is void. I kust looked, its not as bad as it used to be. Still, no hyundai for me

Service on my 100K+ mile Santa Fe has mostly been done (95%) elsewhere. When my speed sensor went bad at 87K miles, not only was it covered under the powertrain warranty, i got a loaner plus a free next oil change, no questions asked.

Brakes, oil changes since maint pkg, plugs, A/T fluid and coolant change...all done outside the dealership.

I've owned four Hyundai and this has been my experience each time and one reason i keep coming back. But we all have our preference.

50% of the purchase price...really ?

Or is this more like your cheap oil thread numbers thrown out there ?

If you did the numbers, post a screenshot of the spreadsheet.

Originally Posted By: yeti
oil -- don't worry about how others spend their money on vehicles.
shannow -- dun't know y sumone elses spulling shud bother u. I could kare less.

Please start using Pig Latin...it will be easier to decipher what you are trying to say.

Really grates on me.

Completely agree with both of you! Let's simply agree to agree.

OilFilters - Part of the reason people like us are on here is we like to take care of our things. We know taking care of a vehicle should end up in decades of fairly reliable service. For the musical car thing, I have come to realize some people simply don't have the time, confidence, or will to attempt to figure out how to maintain their vehicles on their own. To them, maintenance is simply a lot of money at a dealership or independent mechanic on things they don't understand. I always have concerns about used luxury vehicles. I would think a lot of them are lease returns, and can see people not giving [censored] on whether they take care of a leased vehicle or not. I do think manufacturers realize this, however, and do over engineer certain maintenance items to withstand a harsh first 3 years on vehicles this is common on.

We also have our own "issues" though. We are like minded individuals so obsessed with maintenance, that we sit on these forums looking for the BEST advice and knowledge for getting our vehicles to last the longest, and at the least out of pocket expense. When I consider that, I find it easier to tolerate other people's choices. There are lot of difficult, hard to understand, factors into the reasons why people purchase, lease, and/or sell vehicles the way they do.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
it's just the cost of the part.

Even the cost of parts is much, much higher, they have many more dealer only items, the shear parts count is much higher, and, there are oh SO MANY things that you could never do yourself unless you were an expert...

There is a reason "luxury", mostly German cars, end up in the junk yard much faster than the rest.

If you don't like them, don't buy them. I could care less about people who play musical cars and lose thousands of dollars, it means there is a larger market of used cars for people like me who can fix them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

If you don't like them, don't buy them. I could care less about people who play musical cars and lose thousands of dollars, it means there is a larger market of used cars for people like me who can fix them.
wink.gif

I'm simply pointing out the shear ignorance of it all. So many people throw away so MANY THOUSANDS of dollars just because they think they are owed a new car every few years and they don't even know how to open the hood. I can't just ignore it when my own mother does something so stupid, and I know she can't afford to. I finally had to tell her if she buys another used BMW I won't speak to her anymore. (seriously)

I seriously think basic maintenance should be part of the test to get your license. A better maintained car gets better gas mileage and has less emissions. But let's be honest, even driving isn't really part of the test to get your license anymore...

For the record, my newest vehicle is a 2004, my daily driver is a 1998, and they all purr like a kitten and look very nice and clean at close to 200,000 miles.

Really grates on me.

If I was writing a book or an important academic paper then I might take the time to spell check and revise my writing. Given the venue, an internet forum where bored people talk about oil, and the fact that I type 120+ words per minute, a few extra characters might slip in here and there and I really don't care. If you could understand what I'm saying then I was speaking proper english. Don't even get me started about how people in Australia disgrace verbal communication...

Grammar nazis are far more annoying than the occasional typo. URLs must drive you crazy - they aren't even real words!
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

wink.gif

I'm simply pointing out the shear ignorance of it all. So many people throw away so MANY THOUSANDS of dollars just because they think they are owed a new car every few years and they don't even know how to open the hood. I can't just ignore it when my own mother does something so stupid, and I know she can't afford to. I finally had to tell her if she buys another used BMW I won't speak to her anymore. (seriously)

I seriously think basic maintenance should be part of the test to get your license. A better maintained car gets better gas mileage and has less emissions. But let's be honest, even driving isn't really part of the test to get your license anymore...

For the record, my newest vehicle is a 2004, my daily driver is a 1998, and they all purr like a kitten and look very nice and clean at close to 200,000 miles.

Hmm... I don't think I fall into either category, but after years of savings and doing well in the stock market, I said what the [censored], no one lives forever, mind as well spend some of it. So I'm glad I did. I hate to sound smug or if I'm rubbing it in, but I enjoy driving it every day. Unless you drive/own one, that point may be lost on most people. That's actually sort of a common refrain in the MB forums which I always just dismissed out of hand, but it seems like it's true. But I'm always impressed by how solid and quiet the car is vs other cars I've driven and how it handles the road and drives. I also like playing with all the gadgets while stuck in traffic.

If you've got the money, and you can just flush it down the toilet and not miss it - then by all means, waste it on toys. I would too. There are oh so many people that are not in that position, yet do it anyway. If you can't afford to pay cash for the car, you are not in a position to be throwing money away.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Service on my 100K+ mile Santa Fe has mostly been done (95%) elsewhere. When my speed sensor went bad at 87K miles, not only was it covered under the powertrain warranty, i got a loaner plus a free next oil change, no questions asked.

Brakes, oil changes since maint pkg, plugs, A/T fluid and coolant change...all done outside the dealership.

I've owned four Hyundai and this has been my experience each time and one reason i keep coming back. But we all have our preference.

You didn't mention a friend of your family is the service manager unless I'm thinking of someone else. You're also the person who claims the hyundai rod bearing/engine failures are way exaggerated which I completely disagree with from my experience. Just listening to different Hyundai's driving past me in traffic with rod bearings clacking away would almost be enough without having done research on the subject. I do think that you are a little bit biased as is the service manager at your dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back