friends storage procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a friend whos is in the army been deployed several times over seas for 18+ plus month. he was telling me his storage procedure for his vehcile.

1. drains all the fuel from the tank and burns out the remaining fuel in the lines

2.puts the truck on blocks too keep the weight of the tires. also armoralling his tires then covering them to prevent cracking.

3.the odd one. he fills the engine completely full of oil. says it prevents warping and moisture from rusting his bearings and what not.

sounds logical wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this. of course he drains it and does a fresh oil change when he gets back.

My son has deployed three times and we've never done that kind of prep. Typically a good wash and wax. Stabil and a qt of MMO in the gas tank, done at the gas station. A 30+ minute ride, change oil and filter, remove the battery. Block the tail pipe, and air intake so nothing decides to move in. Cover dash, steering wheel, and seats. Then pray for a safe return.

How long is the deployment? Typically my son was away for 6-8 months. Never any problems with the car on his return.

Also, consider sticky traps in the engine compartment for mice etc. An open box of mothballs in the engine compartment may deter vermin etc.

this will be his 6th deployment.
germany twice
iraq 3 times
this will be his 2nd to afganistan

Wow, wish him well, and thank him for his service. My son was to Bagram in Afghanistan 3 times.

Interesting approach, I imagine it makes sense to a point. At the same time, there has to be a point where it is "too full" and will seep into places it shouldnt, make lots of smoke at restart, etc.

My buddy that works for BFG tells me the worst thing you can put on tires is any sort of dressing. It will actually pull the oils out of the rubber and accelerate drying. I stopped using it a few years ago and in the AZ heat and sun can see a big difference.

Tell your buddy thank you his dedicated service!!

Tell your friend we thank him for his courage and sacrifice. I have stored engines for long periods by filling them with very cheap dino oil. It definitely works. I have seen some stored for over 5 years like that and once recommissioned start right up. But you do get quite the smoke screen. Tell him to get some Dcon mice bait traps. One in the trunk, one in the interior and one under the hood. I would also add 1 pint of MMO and 2 oz stabil to 1/2 gallon of gas and run through the fuel system. If he has a few gallons of gas in the tank use a quart of mmo & 4 oz stabil. A huge blast of MMO will last for years in the fuel lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My son has deployed three times and we've never done that kind of prep. Typically a good wash and wax. Stabil and a qt of MMO in the gas tank, done at the gas station. A 30+ minute ride, change oil and filter, remove the battery. Block the tail pipe, and air intake so nothing decides to move in. Cover dash, steering wheel, and seats.

That is a very decent prep.

Originally Posted By: nazareth

1. drains all the fuel from the tank and burns out the remaining fuel in the lines

Not sure I like this one. Isn't the fuel pump cooled by the fuel, so you should not be running on empty?

This is what my owner's manual says, but it's kind of vague...

Quote:
Please refuel early, since driving
to the last drop of fuel can result in
damage to the engine and/or catalytic
converter.

But I guess if it works for him, then it works.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My son has deployed three times and we've never done that kind of prep. Typically a good wash and wax. Stabil and a qt of MMO in the gas tank, done at the gas station. A 30+ minute ride, change oil and filter, remove the battery. Block the tail pipe, and air intake so nothing decides to move in. Cover dash, steering wheel, and seats.

That is a very decent prep.

Thanks, it's worked for him three times now. If the deployment was more than a year, I'd probably have him raise it slightly on blocks to take some weight off the suspension, and consider fogging the engine with MMO. Thank God the deployments weren't any longer.

The only thing I would do differently would be to fill the tank up and add sta-bil before storing. As for as filling the motor up with oil goes... if it seems to be working why not.

But on second thought if it has a plastic tank draining it would be ok to. It would ensure fresh fuel at restart.

I had a car stored for about 5 years while I was in the Philippines. The tank was left full of gas and while I was gone regular leaded gas was phased out. When I got the car out of storage it was the only car around town with a chalky white tail pipe.

For mice ~ soak cotton balls with essence of pepermint oil
and place all around, under and in the car, motor etc.
Can be found at health food stores
The liitle creeps will stay away

eh, for that length of time I would fill the gas tank up and add some stabil. I would put the car of stands and remove the tires. Other than that, I wouldnt worry about it. I would change the oil upon my return.

I was out of country twice this year for extended time and found bird seed remains and poo on my battery in one of the cars. Always on the battery where mice apparently like to sit and eat. Attached a mouse sticky pad to the top of the battery with tie wraps. Problem solved. killed about five mice this year. I've now run out of mice to catch. Dead mice do stink upon return. It will be pretty obvious. Those guys love engine compartments left alone for months.

not a bad plan, Id just do a conventional oil change before storage, and one when he gets back.

Also, waffarin for the mice is a great idea.
thumbsup2.gif

I would also overinflate the tires by 5-10 psi. Armorall probably wouldnt hurt.

I would definetely leave the fuel in the tank, and add some stabil.

I bought some used rims off a kid who liked to use tire dressing once a week.. the insides looked like new

the blackwalls facing out were actually dryrotted and weather cracked with less than 2 years on the tires from all the tire shine. They had 3/4 tread and the tire shop wouldnt mount them on my friends rims because they were a "safety hazzard" and after they showed me I agreed.

I do use tire shine occassionally.. but no more than once a month and I usually wear out tires within 2-4 years (depending on type)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Those guys love engine compartments left alone for months.

I leave the hood up on both my cars in storage. They dont like it when the space is open, they prefer the dark under the hood.

Armour All is terrible for rubber and plastic.

Its part of the reason most of the dashes from 80s cars are cracked! its dries them out.

You want a silicone free dressing to prevent shortening life of your tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back